Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Plastic vs. metal bobbins for old machines >

Plastic vs. metal bobbins for old machines

Plastic vs. metal bobbins for old machines

Old 07-29-2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by katyquilter
I'm about to try a plastic bobbin in my 99K which I recently purchased at a thrift store. It came with one metal bobbin and I bought the metal 66 bobbins which should work. they fit but do not work - the machine refuses to sew, it's as if the bobbin is just a hair too tight. So someone suggested plastic. I'm going to have to get some to try soon unless someone has a better suggestion.
If the plastic doesn't work, try adjusting the tension screw on the bobbin case. WARNING: YOU ONLY HAVE TO TURN THE SCREW JUST A HAIR--TOO MUCH CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS!
Old 07-29-2011, 02:16 PM

http://www.singermachines.co.uk/sing...-metal-66k.htm These are the ones I always use with no problems.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:16 PM

Oops double posting
Old 07-30-2011, 02:48 AM

This is very interesting. I have an old Brother 8200 sewing/embroidery machine that I bought from a great dealer in Kentucky. We now live in Ga. Wanting new bobbins I went to the local dealer, of course wanting metal bobbins. I was promptly told I shouldn't be using metal bobbins, I should be using plastic! If that's the case, then why did the machine come right out of the box, unopened box, with metal bobbins?

So, I called the dealer I bought it from, they had never heard anything about not using metal bobbins in that machine. Now this is just my opinion since I'm still confussed over this issue, I prefer the metal bobbins. They don't seem to jump as much as plastic. I've also had some platic bobbins end up with little sharp edges that tear the thread.

Maybe it's just a personal prefernce. I'll certainly be reading to see what answers are posted.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by virtualbernie
Originally Posted by katyquilter
I'm about to try a plastic bobbin in my 99K which I recently purchased at a thrift store. It came with one metal bobbin and I bought the metal 66 bobbins which should work. they fit but do not work - the machine refuses to sew, it's as if the bobbin is just a hair too tight. So someone suggested plastic. I'm going to have to get some to try soon unless someone has a better suggestion.
If the plastic doesn't work, try adjusting the tension screw on the bobbin case. WARNING: YOU ONLY HAVE TO TURN THE SCREW JUST A HAIR--TOO MUCH CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS!
I have had to do that with my older machines, never with the new one, I suppose it's wear n tear, and I agree with your warning, just a tiny smidgen and then test the running of the thread. This video is a super to show you how: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaH9yB7XUBk
Old 07-30-2011, 03:13 AM

I used what I could to find out what bobbin one of my machines needed.
I had to go buy different plastic ones for the Singer Fashion Mate of the 1980's. It didn't like the metal ones from my Kenmore (1972), or the plastic ones of my Viking Rose, or Pfaff Expressions 3.0.
I have a new (to me) Singer 15-91 that I'm still trying to please completely. so far it likes the metal for my Kenmore's the best.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:20 AM

I was given a number of metal bobbins... they do not fit my machine!
Old 07-30-2011, 06:02 AM

My vintage machines all use metal bobbins except for the Singer 338. It uses a plastic one that I thought was a class 66....wrong. There is just a slight difference but enough for it not to sew properly. I have Janomes, Berninas, Singers, etc. that all use different bobbins so I have a clear bobbin box for each, clearly labeled and make sure they don't get mixed up.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:17 AM

My 1941 Singer refuses to use plastic bobbins, period. I buy boxes of the right metal ones and it's happy....
Old 07-30-2011, 06:28 AM

I tried putting a plastic one in my 1914 year Red Eye with a back clamp. It jiggled around in there too much.

uote=Candace]I've been told to use metal bobbins in my vintage machines that have metal bobbin cases and the plastic in newer machines with plastic cases. Basically use what was supposed to go in there when they were made.

I do only use the metal bobbins in my vintage machines, but am seeing more and more vintage machines sold with plastic bobbins in them. I'm just wondering why? I've been told using the plastic in metal cases can affect tension and cause problems. With both plastic and metal still so readily available, why would someone put plastic bobbins in these old machines?[/quote]