Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Plastic vs. metal bobbins for old machines >

Plastic vs. metal bobbins for old machines

Plastic vs. metal bobbins for old machines

Old 07-31-2011, 07:02 AM

I agree with everything said here so far. If the machine originally required metal use metal and the correct classification. The vintage machines that are being sold online and are coming with plastic bobbins is because they are cheaper and cost less to ship also they can charge you more when you call and say that you are having problems with tension and you tell them that you are using a plastic bobbin. I have seen quite a few machines coming in for repair lately that the only problem is using the wrong bobbin with the machine. As far as Viking Pfaff and some other bobbins are concerned there are some that they sell that are only meant for their machines and are labeled as such and this should be respected. Also many times the thread tension issues are because the machine is not threaded correctly or using the wrong type of thread or different thread in the top and in the bobbin. Sometimes it is because of the use of the wrong needle for the machine. It is best if this is relatively new to you to consult someone who specializes in at least the brand of machine that you are working with. In other words a dealer or someone with extensive knowledge and training. Especially before doing any adjustments to the bobbin case that can be tricky to work with.

Originally Posted by klgreene
Ok, now I am going to have to look at my old machine that I hated and didn't think it could do anything. I was using metal bobbins because I thought that's what I should have used. And I had birds nest every where. I just hated the way it stitched. So I got a new machine love it, with plastic bobbins that look just like the metal ones, but you can't see the color of thread in a top load with metal. So I may have to play. My first singer used plastic but they screwed together, and I didn't like that because the thread would get caught and stip the screwy part. There is indeed so much to learn on these machines.

ps. does anyone have a good quick idea to use a serger on. I got a new serger too but haven't used it yet. Guess I better start googling serger patters before DH wants me to return it.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:07 AM
Banned

The reason you want metal bobbin in the older machine is the fact that the plastic bobbins will sometimes be sanded by the bobbin race and the pieces of plastic will lodge in the machine and create problems for you. Just remember plastic for plastic and metal for metal and your good to go.

Billy
Old 08-03-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
The reason you want metal bobbin in the older machine is the fact that the plastic bobbins will sometimes be sanded by the bobbin race and the pieces of plastic will lodge in the machine and create problems for you. Just remember plastic for plastic and metal for metal and your good to go.

Billy
Now that makes sense! Thanks for the explanation.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:15 AM
Banned

I prefer the metal ones...my newer Elna like the prewound cardboard ones...my newer Janome likes plastic...
but my vintage Bernina 830 only likes HER metal bobbins..my vintage singer only likes HER metal bobbins..

SOOO many bobbins..hehehe
Old 08-03-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
I'm guessing that part of the reason is that the plastic bobbins are much more readily available in places like Wal-Mart which would be where a person would most likely go first to find replacement bobbins.

Even as an experienced seamstress I did not initially recognize the differences between the various bobbins and attempted to use wrong ones on one of my machines and did not realize that was part of the cause of the birdnests I experienced with it. Need to go back and figure out which bobbin really was meant for that machine and see if that will make it work right. Also need a bobbin cover for it. The random piece of clear plastic does not substitute very well there either.
Wow! the bird's nest in my older machines are probably due to the wrong bobbins... Would have never thought of it. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2011, 12:14 PM

How old are considering "vintage"? My Elna is about 40 years old. It came with a plastic bobbin, and that was what was recommended to use. However, I have found that the metal ones work much better. The plastic will sometimes not feed correctly...as if they are too light and try to pop out of the bobbin case. Never have that issue with the metal ones. I have gotten rid of all my plastic ones, with the exception of the one that came with it. I don't use it, but for some reason, I can't seem to make myself toss it either. LOL

Patti
Old 08-03-2011, 01:11 PM

Patti, if you bought it new then the manufacturer recommends plastic. If you bought it used the prior owner could have just stuck anything in there. As was stated, if your bobbin case is plastic you should stick with plastic and metal can and will wear it away. If it's metal, then stick to metal.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:57 PM

Candace...I bought it new. The plastic one that came with it is an Elna brand. I could never find anymore Elna plastic bobbins...and the metal ones work great.

Patti