Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Plastic vs. metal bobbins for old machines >

Plastic vs. metal bobbins for old machines

Plastic vs. metal bobbins for old machines

Old 07-30-2011, 06:53 AM

You definitely want to use bobbins made for your machine. Metal bobbins are made to be used with vintage machines. Those using plastic just don't know any better.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:09 AM

I can't say about vintage machines, because I don't have one. I have a singer about 10 yrs old. I use metal as I love them and they fit right. I had some plastic, but noticed that the opening in some of them were not exact. DH took the serial number and other info needed and ordered me 100 metal bobbins for 7 dollars plus shipping.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

I tend to use metal in my machines that have metal bobbins and plastic in the others. I suppose you could try plastic instead of the metal bobbins, but I wouldn't suggest putting metal into machines that came with plastic bobbins.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:20 AM

my first brother had a metal bobbin case, but it takes plastic bobbins, however I know you can't use metal ones in a plastic bobbin case, but I don't think it matters for the metal ones
Old 07-30-2011, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
my first brother had a metal bobbin case, but it takes plastic bobbins, however I know you can't use metal ones in a plastic bobbin case, but I don't think it matters for the metal ones
Actually, there are tension problems using plastic in old machines. My 185 came with a plastic bobbin(shouldn't have been used) and I had lots of problems with the tension. I put in the metal one and perfect stitches...
Old 07-30-2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by katyquilter
I'm about to try a plastic bobbin in my 99K which I recently purchased at a thrift store. It came with one metal bobbin and I bought the metal 66 bobbins which should work. they fit but do not work - the machine refuses to sew, it's as if the bobbin is just a hair too tight. So someone suggested plastic. I'm going to have to get some to try soon unless someone has a better suggestion.
Some of the new metal class 66 bobbins do not work as well as the vintage bobbins. The plastic class 66 seem to be fine. In addition, people will hang onto bent metal bobbins (which will cause problems), and will toss out broken plastic bobbins. The plastic bobbins, in gereral, will work fine in the older machines. Be sure to have the correct class of bobbin, however, and as it has been pointed out, it is often difficult to tell one from the other. I keep mine in labeled containers, and always keep at least 6 bobbins with each machine.

Please note that not all metal bobbins are equal, nor are all plastic bobbins. Each machine takes its own class of bobbins. If you try to use a class 15 bobbin in a machine that takes class 66, you will have a problem. Both of these bobbins are available in metal and plastic. There are a lot of bobbins that look alike, but are not. A class 15 plastic bobbin looks very much like a class 15J plastic bobbin, which is similar to a class 66 plastic bobbin, and so on. The classes are not interchangable.

I like to keep an index card with each machine with notes on settings for different applications, the serial number, and the bobbin class, as well as the threading direction through the needle. It's a great time saver.
Old 07-30-2011, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK
Originally Posted by virtualbernie
Originally Posted by katyquilter
I'm about to try a plastic bobbin in my 99K which I recently purchased at a thrift store. It came with one metal bobbin and I bought the metal 66 bobbins which should work. they fit but do not work - the machine refuses to sew, it's as if the bobbin is just a hair too tight. So someone suggested plastic. I'm going to have to get some to try soon unless someone has a better suggestion.
If the plastic doesn't work, try adjusting the tension screw on the bobbin case. WARNING: YOU ONLY HAVE TO TURN THE SCREW JUST A HAIR--TOO MUCH CAN CAUSE PROBLEMS!
I have had to do that with my older machines, never with the new one, I suppose it's wear n tear, and I agree with your warning, just a tiny smidgen and then test the running of the thread. This video is a super to show you how: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaH9yB7XUBk
Great video/explanation :thumbup:
Old 07-30-2011, 02:33 PM

Plastic are cheaper and easier to get a hold of. After years of buying only plastic for my Pffaf 1475 I would have told you plastic was just as good. Since we began restoring machines we have found that isn't the case unless you continue to replace them as they wear. They can get nicks and wear unevenly causing problems especially in vintage machines.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Knowledge? They probably don't know, don't understand and most importantly don't care. :)
Totally agree!
Old 07-30-2011, 07:33 PM

Ok, now I am going to have to look at my old machine that I hated and didn't think it could do anything. I was using metal bobbins because I thought that's what I should have used. And I had birds nest every where. I just hated the way it stitched. So I got a new machine love it, with plastic bobbins that look just like the metal ones, but you can't see the color of thread in a top load with metal. So I may have to play. My first singer used plastic but they screwed together, and I didn't like that because the thread would get caught and stip the screwy part. There is indeed so much to learn on these machines.

ps. does anyone have a good quick idea to use a serger on. I got a new serger too but haven't used it yet. Guess I better start googling serger patters before DH wants me to return it.