Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Please explain what happened with my tension..... >

Please explain what happened with my tension.....

Please explain what happened with my tension.....

Old 11-26-2014, 01:35 PM

Yep, I use Paint also. This app was already installed when I bought the laptop.
Old 11-26-2014, 01:43 PM

Tammy,

Thanks for going to the trouble of marking up the picture of my threading. However I think I have it right. I'm attaching 2 pics. One is right out of the manual, it looks like how I have it. The other is a side shot of my tension dial. Is that the hook you were looking thinking of? When I pull the thread, the hook moves up and down.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]500248[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]500249[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_5548.jpg   100_5547.jpg  
Old 11-26-2014, 01:51 PM

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails paint_circles2.jpg  
Old 11-26-2014, 02:16 PM
Power Poster

how do you get your picture in to paint???
Old 11-27-2014, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
Tammy,

Thanks for going to the trouble of marking up the picture of my threading. However I think I have it right. I'm attaching 2 pics. One is right out of the manual, it looks like how I have it. The other is a side shot of my tension dial. Is that the hook you were looking thinking of? When I pull the thread, the hook moves up and down.
Those pictures are sort of unclear. I think Miriam is correct in that the thread should be behind that hook. Try pulling the thread around the tension knob and then hard to the right. You might hear a little click. Then the thread should be on the other side of the hook. I would ask my fix-it man, but I know you all like to do it yourself.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:12 AM

All these replies have gotten me very concerned that I am threading my machine wrong. I've just tried what maviskw suggested. No matter how much I pull the thread around the tension knob, it does not go beyond the little wire. I'm attaching pics from the 117 manual and service manual. They both lead me to believe the thread just lays against the wire. This is the exact wording if you can't read it "Pass thread from right to left under tension mechanism. Place thread either in front or in back of the center tension disc. Pull thread against tension spring and thread from right to left through hole in take up lever".

My 158 works differently. On that machine I give the thread a tug and it inserts into the wire, like what I'm being advised to do on the 117. I've attached that manual too. I appreciate all the comments/suggestions. [ATTACH=CONFIG]500311[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]500312[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]500313[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 100_5549.jpg   100_5550.jpg   100_5551.jpg  
Old 11-27-2014, 10:22 AM

KenmoreGal2, I just threaded up my machine which is an exact to yours (except for being a "White") and you ARE threading it correctly. Mine doesn't have that usual little hook to catch the thread on either. It threads exactly the same with the same tension device and the thread wraps under and catches the spring ad then goes right up to the take up lever. I got concerned I was missing something so tried some stitching and it stitched just fine.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:22 AM

Tammy,

The more I look at it, the more I wonder if it's some sort of optical illusion. I saw above that Mrs. SewNSew's got the same machine and it threads differently than Miriam and I thought. Typically it would thread the way we mentioned, but if there's a wire that stops it, then it must look like a hook, but be some other design "Feature".

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
how do you get your picture in to paint???
Crazy easy once you do it the first time. Save the pic to your computer, then open it in Paint or Irfanview (I use either one) and doodle away.

All these replies have gotten me very concerned that I am threading my machine wrong. I've just tried what maviskw suggested. No matter how much I pull the thread around the tension knob, it does not go beyond the little wire. I'm attaching pics from the 117 manual and service manual. They both lead me to believe the thread just lays against the wire. This is the exact wording if you can't read it "Pass thread from right to left under tension mechanism. Place thread either in front or in back of the center tension disc. Pull thread against tension spring and thread from right to left through hole in take up lever".

My 158 works differently. On that machine I give the thread a tug and it inserts into the wire, like what I'm being advised to do on the 117. I've attached that manual too. I appreciate all the comments/suggestions.
Some of those wires move to let the thread go behind the hook. If your White machine doesn't do this, then you're threading it right. This is one of those "it would be easier to diagnose with hands on" situations, so I bow to Christy's ability to lay hands no the machine.
Old 11-27-2014, 03:45 PM

Whew, I'm glad to hear I am threading the machine correctly. I guess it's still a mystery though why my tensions got all off. Thanks for all the help and advice.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:00 PM

Whew, I'm glad to hear I am threading the machine correctly. I guess it's still a mystery though why my tensions got all off. Thanks for all the help and advice.
I noticed that nobody has noticed or commented on my suggestion a while ago to check bobbin thread tension. Was it that stupid an idea?