Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Please explain what happened with my tension..... >

Please explain what happened with my tension.....

Please explain what happened with my tension.....

Old 11-27-2014, 04:04 PM

I think I replied to that Mike, but I apologize if I didn't. I did check the bobbin tension. Before I turned the upper tension dial I adjusted the bobbin tension and it helped but the dial for the upper tension was so far off from where it usually is, that I put the bobbin tension back. In order to do that, I tested it using the manual and the yo-yo test. When I did this testing, I think I had put the bobbin tension way too tight even though it did fix the problem.

I hoped to find some other solution but ended up fixing the problem by loosening the upper tension.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:20 PM

OK, I have given this a bit of thought. But before I tell what that is I have to say I might have missed it if it was already mentioned. Also I can't view the pics because they are just too big for my old dial up system to open.

Alrighty then, how much resistance do you "feel" when you rotate the top tension adjusting knob? I have found some so completely out of adjustment that the internal spring was putting little to no tension on the disks or knob and just the vibration of the machine would cause the parts to rotate looser and looser.

In that case the only cure is to remove the tension from the machine, strip it down, clean it, then reassemble, reinstall and adjust it correctly.

Joe
Old 11-27-2014, 04:39 PM

Thanks for reflecting on my problem Joe. I'm not sure how to feel the resistance. I didn't sew much at all before taking this machine from my Mom in the spring. What little sewing I did, I had no idea what I was doing or how my previous machine worked. I never touched the tension on that one, didn't know to clean the bobbin area - it's actually appalling how little I knew.

Now I'm better and I can play with upper and lower tensions but my level of expertise is still minimal. Is it possible for you to describe feeling the tension a little for me? I'd appreciate it. I like to learn.
Old 11-27-2014, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
I noticed that nobody has noticed or commented on my suggestion a while ago to check bobbin thread tension. Was it that stupid an idea?
uh never...
Old 11-27-2014, 05:16 PM

OK Mike, I'll comment on it. It's a great idea. On 99.5% of the sewing machines I have acquired I've had to clean and adjust the bobbin tension. It's one thing that I do to all the machines I get now.

Most of them, though not all, were set way too tight. I still have a couple that I've not touched because even though both the top and bobbin tension is way to tight, it's balanced and sews a great stitch. If they ever quit doing that I'll go through them.

Joe
Old 11-27-2014, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
OK Mike, I'll comment on it. It's a great idea. On 99.5% of the sewing machines I have acquired I've had to clean and adjust the bobbin tension. It's one thing that I do to all the machines I get now.

Most of them, though not all, were set way too tight. I still have a couple that I've not touched because even though both the top and bobbin tension is way to tight, it's balanced and sews a great stitch. If they ever quit doing that I'll go through them.

Joe
OK, thanks for the responses Joe, KMG and Miriam - laughing quietly now at my overreaction.
I've been thinking about this some more now, and if the top and bottom tension are both OK, and you still can't get it right, I'd suspect the hook timing. My daughter's 498k had the unadjustable tension issue a few years back and it was due to the hook timing being out about 1mm. That's where I'd look next. Quick check now that this hasn't already been mentioned...
No it hasn't. If I didn't have a service manual for a ZZ machine I'd check as follows:
1. Put it in the left needle position and raise the needle to highest point
2. Remove as much of the slide plate, needle plate and feed dog. Stop removing stuff when you get a clear view of the hook.
3. Turn hand wheel toward you until the needle passes the bottom then turn a little more until the hook is aligned with the needle.

The hook should be 1/64" below the eye of the needle.

In most machines there's a mark near the top of the needle bar to indicate the point where the hook lines up with the needle.

If they don't line up, you would normally loosen the hook mechanism (where it screws to the rotating shaft) and adjust. My daughter's isn't the only machine I've had trouble with but it was the first so plenty of time wasted.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:52 PM
Power Poster

it is hard to figure out something unless it is on the bench in front of me.
Old 11-27-2014, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
I've been thinking about this some more now, and if the top and bottom tension are both OK, and you still can't get it right, I'd suspect the hook timing.
Mike,

The thing is that now that I've turned the upper tension one full revolution, the stitches are just fine. So I'd rather not upset the apple cart and make more changes. But I'd love to know what happened, how exactly it got all messed up. Because I swear it was fine just a few days ago. I hate when things happen and I can't understand why. Maybe I need to just move on....
Old 11-27-2014, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
it is hard to figure out something unless it is on the bench in front of me.
I can definitely understand that and I wish I had all of you here, in my house, right now. I'd give you some Thanksgiving pie....
Old 11-27-2014, 06:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
I can definitely understand that and I wish I had all of you here, in my house, right now. I'd give you some Thanksgiving pie....
yum - I'm all for that.