Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Please help me figure out model of this Dressmaker Deluxe ZigZag machine! >

Please help me figure out model of this Dressmaker Deluxe ZigZag machine!

Please help me figure out model of this Dressmaker Deluxe ZigZag machine!

Old 01-26-2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by techmommy View Post
Thanks, mbailey. Checking out your link now.
Could not locate my machine, but I did contact the owner.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:24 AM

Well crikey, Caroline! Did these machines not come with a manual. I was surprised not to find one since everything else has been kept neat and some accessories are still in packaging. My grandmother was more of a shopper than a seamstress, so I doubt she used this machine very much at all. God rest her soul! Here are the close ups...one with the lever open and one closed.
Attached Thumbnails img_5326-small.jpg   img_5325-small.jpg  
Old 01-26-2012, 10:36 AM

Is it a Dressmaker Centennial Series 2 machine. I wasn't sure if it matched the picture here: http://www.sewingmachinemanual.net/S...ion_manual.htm

That is a link to a manual.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by techmommy View Post
Well crikey, Caroline! Did these machines not come with a manual. I was surprised not to find one since everything else has been kept neat and some accessories are still in packaging. My grandmother was more of a shopper than a seamstress, so I doubt she used this machine very much at all. God rest her soul! Here are the close ups...one with the lever open and one closed.
I am thinking that when the bobbin is full the little lever will pop up and disengage the bobbin winder from the wheel. I don't have a machine like yours so I am just guessing. Have you figured out the threading yet? Meanwhile I will do some more sleuthing for you.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:00 AM

I am also thinking that your machine is a clone of a White sewing machine. That might help you to find a manual. I also remember reading somewhere that White copied Necchi sewing machines and they were manufactured in Japan.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:07 PM

White didn't copy anyone. They were an excellent machine company on their own dating from the late 1800s. In the 1950s, they moved their manufacturing plants to Japan - a Koyo plant in particular. Then White went out of the manufacturing side and became distributors of Whites. The plants who had manufactured for them quickly put out a number of machines under different labels - my Universal for one, probably that Dressmaker and many more similar looking machines.

With no sewing experience, I'd pay the $10 for the manual annthreecats found for you. Please do not sew on the machine without cleaning and oiling it. For me, I hope I can remember what I need from sewing on my mother's White in the 50s. If not, I'll be looking for a manual, too.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:19 AM

It looks a little bit like my moorse
Old 01-27-2012, 05:51 AM

I've been looking online again and I think the Centennial #2 is pretty close. I did find online instructions for that machine for winding the bobbin, but I can't get my machine to disengage as the instructions here say...
http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diag...ng_diagram.htm

I can't get that inner wheel to turn counter clockwise! So frustrated right now. I don't mind paying for the manual, at all. I just want to know it is going to be helpful!

Thank you all for your helpful replies so far.

As far as cleaning and oiling, I don't even know how to go about that until I find a manual.

I have sewn a tiny bit on it thus far, but I will stop until I can figure out how to do those. I certainly don't want to tear it up.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:39 AM

Dressmaker machines were made by Dressmaker, but they also made a number of private label machines for others. There are many big manufacaturers that make machines TO SPECIFICATION for others. Janome/Kenmore, Brother, New Home, Universal, etc. Just because a machine was made in Japan does not mean it is a clone, I come across a lot of vintage machines since I rescue and repair them. Most of them have similar technology (except the Necchi made in Italy was a true odd ball but wonderful machine.) Your machine may have a little quirk that just isn't releasing the auto pop up bobbin winder. The knob on the handwheel may not be back in a tight setting. Hopefully all the great advice you are getting will solve your problem.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:22 AM
Power Poster

I like those old machines. They are easy to use and work horses. You don't have to dis-engage the clutch to wind a bobbin but you sure better make sure you take the thread out of the needle. They are easy to clean - much like the clones. I did a tutorial on a 15 clone http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...r-t169127.html - your machine has a stitch width selector and a stitch selector different - just be sure to not use a cutting oil on anything plastic - it may well be all metal anyway. Use heat if it is stuck. The bobbin should be very similar, too. If you get stuck get the free clone manual and you can see how to wind a bobbin, how to thread and how to care for the machine. If you turn the knobs make sure the needle is out of the hole. Take your time and you will really like that machine.