Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   15-91 bobbin issues (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/15-91-bobbin-issues-t241630.html)

minibarn 02-21-2014 11:19 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to try the suggestions mentioned here...and order some new bobbins from SC. Hopefully I will resolve the problem...if not I'll be back!

Thanks
Jp

minibarn 02-21-2014 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6587142)

Also remember when you put a full bobbin in the case it should turn clockwise when you pull on the thread.
And it doesn't hurt to check the tension on the case. Just because it's new does not mean it's correctly adjusted.

Joe

Joe,
I am confused...the manual says the thread should come off the top of the bobbin right to left. When I put it in the case that way then pull the thread it turns the bobbin counter clockwise, right???

Also, how do I know if the bobbin is "the right fit"? I tried a plastic bobbin that I have for another machine and it seems too small, but the metal one does not seem to work either. I am in the process of ordering bobbins from SC so I hope that helps my issues.

Thanks,
Jp

lovelyl 02-22-2014 05:51 AM

I purchased the plastic bobbins recommended by Sew Classic. They fit well, but I cannot get them to wind correctly. The little notch that holds the bobbin onto the winder is not deep enough and keeps slipping out. The metal bobbins I ordered from SC about a year ago work great. I am wondering why she now recommends the plastic ones?

J Miller 02-22-2014 06:33 AM

minibarn,

I will re-read the manual on the bobbin issue. I do know I put my bobbin in the 15-91 case the same way I do all the other machines that use class 15 bobbins and it works well.

Bobbin fit = it fits in the case, doesn't bind, and the thread rolls off it smoothly.

Not being sarcastic cos there is soooo much variation between one group of bobbins and the next. If it fits and works I use it.

Check the little peg that drives the bobbin. It could be worn.

Joe

minibarn 02-22-2014 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl (Post 6589355)
I purchased the plastic bobbins recommended by Sew Classic. They fit well, but I cannot get them to wind correctly. The little notch that holds the bobbin onto the winder is not deep enough and keeps slipping out. The metal bobbins I ordered from SC about a year ago work great. I am wondering why she now recommends the plastic ones?

Ugh, I just ordered the plastic, hope I don't have that trouble too. I have two different metal ones I bought from Hancocks, and one doesn't even fit on the bobbin winder! The others seem to work on the winder and the case, but still my original issue, like the thread is too loose and wraps around itself.

Jp

minibarn 02-22-2014 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6589419)
minibarn,

I will re-read the manual on the bobbin issue. I do know I put my bobbin in the 15-91 case the same way I do all the other machines that use class 15 bobbins and it works well.

Bobbin fit = it fits in the case, doesn't bind, and the thread rolls off it smoothly.

Not being sarcastic cos there is soooo much variation between one group of bobbins and the next. If it fits and works I use it.

Check the little peg that drives the bobbin. It could be worn.

Joe

For bobbin fit...when I put the bobbin in, will it only stay in the case when I lift the little tab? Or does a well fitting bobbin stay in even when the tab is down? (make sense?) As I try to adjust the tension, the bobbin falls out so it is hard to know if I am getting the tension right or not.

Sorry, but what little peg are you talking about? Is it the one in the bobbin race? And how do I know if it is worn? Please forgive the ignorant :), I try to learn about the different parts of these machines, but it seems everyday I find there is one more!

Thanks for the help,
Jenna

J Miller 02-22-2014 09:48 AM

Jenna,

There is a little tab on the end of the little bar the lever moves when you open it that rests against the bobbin.
If the lever isn't opened the tab does not touch the bobbin and it will fall out. I just tilt the bobbin case with the face up so the bobbin doesn't fall out when I adjust them.

The little peg is on the bobbin winder. It engages the notch on the inner edge of the bobbins shaft to spin it. They can wear or get broken.

Joe

Mizkaki 02-22-2014 10:46 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Joe,

Many class 15 machine don't care which way the bobbin unwinds, but many will not sew well if the bobbin is put in the case the wrong direction. The correct direction of unwinding helps prevent backlash/back-spinning of the bobbin as it gets emptier and lighter weight.

The easiest way to figure the correct direction is to remember that the thread has to reverse direction as it leaves the bobbin and goes under the bobbin case tension spring. Or visually it makes a 'V' path. Put a threaded bobbin in the case and thread it both ways, you will see the path differences.

The 15-90 series (11:00 finger as viewed from the solid side) of cases thread so the the bobbin is unwinding counterclockwise. The other series (1:00 finger) unwind with the bobbin spinning clockwise.

Here are a few pictures of the case differences.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]463799[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]463800[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]463801[/ATTACH]

I hope this helps,
Cathy

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6589419)
minibarn,

Joe

J Miller 02-22-2014 11:03 AM

The 15-90 series (11:00 finger as viewed from the solid side) of cases thread so the the bobbin is unwinding counterclockwise. The other series (1:00 finger) unwind with the bobbin spinning clockwise.
Ahhhh, I see said the blind man. So the 15-91 is opposite of the others when it comes to the bobbin. I'll do my best to remember that.

Joe

Mizkaki 02-22-2014 03:28 PM

Joe,
And the hook is also the opposite.

Cathy

Originally Posted by J Miller (Post 6589935)
Ahhhh, I see said the blind man. So the 15-91 is opposite of the others when it comes to the bobbin. I'll do
my best to remember that.

Joe