Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/cleaning-repairing-shellac-clear-coat-vintage-sewing-machine-heads-t193635.html)

Ellpea 12-11-2014 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 7003888)
Yes it is Shellac. and 1874 is a REALLY nice early one. I am surprised that it would have that design set that early...

SteveH, the seller said it had been in her family since 1913. It originally had a treadle stand also, but that was lost in a fire (along with any accessories). This was in its bentwood case, so she managed to get out with it. It had been on CL in Southern Oregon for two months, so I was surprised to discover it was still available. It was worth a six hour round trip to get her... made more interesting by driving over to Medford for a 319. All in all an 11 hour day, bless the DH for driving me!

Ellpea 12-11-2014 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 7004037)
Ellpea I would use only sewing machine oil on the cleaning of the head and as Steve said polish the metal with Brasso and Fine steel wool. You decals on the 12 are in good shape and sewing machine oil is all you will need.

Glenn, I forgot to ask you. This has a bentwood top that needs to be cleaned and restored. I want to use your wonderful technique to do this... do you have any advice about the decal on that? Some of it is gone, but I'd like to preserve the rest. Any advice is appreciated!

SteveH 12-11-2014 12:38 PM

Ellpea,

That is so cool!!! I am very familiar with road trips for machines. My record so far is a 36 hour round trip form the SF bay area to Walla Walla for an 1862 Grover & Baker (they were willing to ship...shuddder)

FYI - a dealer on the ebay is selling very nice reproductions of those round top decals. so, in the worst case scenario you could remove and replace.

Glenn 12-11-2014 01:01 PM

Pamela, Use my solution #! to clean the top, make any repairs if needed. Don't clean the decal or you may loose it. Carefully clean around it. You order a new decal if needed. Shine up the metal parts and then give the wood a coat of paste wax. Do the base the same. And Thank you so far so good on the eyes

Oh thanks Steve. I had the laser correction and have not worn glasses for years now. I will have to get some reading glasses this time. The Dr's can do lots of things but they can't fix old age LOL

Ellpea 12-11-2014 01:53 PM

Road trips for machines

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 7004257)
I am very familiar with road trips for machines. My record so far is a 36 hour round trip form the SF bay area to Walla Walla for an 1862 Grover & Baker

I wonder what the record is on this board.. who drove the most miles to get a machine? I'm sure SteveH has me beat with the Walla Walla round trip... anyone else?

Ellpea 12-11-2014 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 5339086)
Now at the stage I spray the internal and underneath parts with Plast Buster...

Is this stuff really named "Plast Buster"? I can't find anything online that looks like that...

Glenn 12-11-2014 02:09 PM

Wal mart or auto zone has it. Easy to get. PB is on the sray can. It is in the auto department in WalMart.

Ellpea 12-11-2014 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 5393023)
Use my tutorial on cleaning and reviving sewing machine cabinets first.
Skip

Glenn, I thought this tutorial was in a sticky in the VSM menu, but now I can't find it. I know I've read it, I've even recommended it to people on the VSM Facebook group! Where, oh where?

SteveH 12-11-2014 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Ellpea (Post 7004346)
Is this stuff really named "Plast Buster"? I can't find anything online that looks like that...

If it is the stuff I use it is called "PB Blaster"

Ellpea 12-11-2014 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH (Post 7004364)
If it is the stuff I use it is called "PB Blaster"

This is the one item on Glenn's list of necessities on which the label can't quite be discerned. ;)