Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Cleaning and repairing the Shellac clear coat on Vintage sewing machine heads (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/cleaning-repairing-shellac-clear-coat-vintage-sewing-machine-heads-t193635.html)

SteveH 12-11-2014 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 7003315)
Glenn is taking it easy a couple days

I hope all is OK....

Glenn 12-11-2014 09:34 AM

All is okay here, just having cataract surgery this week and next. My WW box also has the reversed N. It is so nice to see well again. Ellpea I would use only sewing machine oil on the cleaning of the head and as Steve said polish the metal with Brasso and Fine steel wool. You decals on the 12 are in good shape and sewing machine oil is all you will need.

SteveH 12-11-2014 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 7004037)
All is okay here, just having cataract surgery this week and next.

I wish you the very best of luck with your surgeries.

I work for a company that makes retinal surgery tools as our primary product, but we are also make cataract cutters. This week I am part of a group here helping with some of the R&D testing of a completely new design for Cataract cutters.. In the process I get to do "actual" surgeries on pig eyes to test the tool!

ThayerRags 12-11-2014 10:12 AM

That sounds like one of those “in a pig’s eye” stories to me....

CD in Oklahoma

SteveH 12-11-2014 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by ThayerRags (Post 7004091)
That sounds like one of those “in a pig’s eye” stories to me....
CD in Oklahoma

Ouch... lol I can provide video's if needed. (we do most of the work looking/filming through a microscope)

ThayerRags 12-11-2014 10:47 AM

I was hoping that you got the humor in my little "play on words" there. Video won't be necessary, but I do think it's neat that you get to do that as part of your job.

CD in Oklahoma

SteveH 12-11-2014 11:13 AM

yep. I think they figure if an IT dude can make it work then anyone can...

I didn't figure folks would actually want to see them. ( i would never post them in a public forum anyway, they can be "uncomfortable" form ost folks to watch) I took a few home and my DD's decided that "we will listen to your warnings about the graphic nature in the future" lol

Glenn 12-11-2014 11:38 AM

That is really cool, eye surgery on a pigs eye. The right eye is done and it is amazing how well I see with it. I really did not know how dark it was getting until this new implant. The lights are on and it is great. I was cleaning on a machine before the surgery and now I see I will have to go back over it. I missed a lot of grud. LOL I can now see all my wrinkles this part I did not miss... Can't wait to get the left eye done.

SteveH 12-11-2014 11:44 AM

That is awesome!! So glad to hear. I started wearing glasses when I was 10 and the first thing I apparently said when I put them on and looked at my mom was "mom, your face isn't smooth..." LOL

I had laser correction about 12 years ago and it is starting to get to the point where i should consider a "tune-up" myself.

Good luck and I hope your next procedure goes as well or better than the first!

Ellpea 12-11-2014 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn (Post 7004037)
All is okay here, just having cataract surgery this week and next. My WW box also has the reversed N. It is so nice to see well again. Ellpea I would use only sewing machine oil on the cleaning of the head and as Steve said polish the metal with Brasso and Fine steel wool. You decals on the 12 are in good shape and sewing machine oil is all you will need.

Glenn, thanks for your advice, and good luck with your other "ocular upgrade"! I'm enjoying all of your wonderful advice here, and am working up to restoring the base of the little 12, as soon as I get another machine whipped into shape (that smoke-stained, grubby Singer 319). I think I'll be lurking here a lot!

Best, "Ellpea" (Pamela)