Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/featherweight-club-do-you-have-featherweight-if-so-post-here-so-you-can-all-chit-chat-everyone-welcome-t124727.html)

argranny 05-25-2011 07:38 PM

I bought my 221 on ebay about a year ago and it sews great, it's a 1947, for $200. been very happy with it.

lovelyl 05-26-2011 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by chichimamma
Today I was out looking for a FW and no luck at the antique stores. I just hate to have to buy one off line, I am afraid of what I'll get.

I bought my sweet Baby (see avatar) off of ebay for $275 and she was in great condition. All I had to do was oil her. However, I really took my time (about 4 months - drove my DH crazy showing him pictures and reading desccriptions to him) I tried to choose carefully and purchase from someone with a good rating. I also purchased a Buy It Now instead of getting caught up in an auction and spending more than I had budgeted! Been there, done that with other things!
So far, I have purchased my FW, a Singer hand crank 201, and a treadle 66-1 head off of ebay. All were exactly as described, just needed to be oiled. All sew perfectly!

Jo Mama 05-26-2011 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl

Originally Posted by chichimamma
Today I was out looking for a FW and no luck at the antique stores. I just hate to have to buy one off line, I am afraid of what I'll get.

I bought my sweet Baby (see avatar) off of ebay for $275 and she was in great condition. All I had to do was oil her. However, I really took my time (about 4 months - drove my DH crazy showing him pictures and reading desccriptions to him) I tried to choose carefully and purchase from someone with a good rating. I also purchased a Buy It Now instead of getting caught up in an auction and spending more than I had budgeted! Been there, done that with other things!
So far, I have purchased my FW, a Singer hand crank 201, and a treadle 66-1 head off of ebay. All were exactly as described, just needed to be oiled. All sew perfectly!

I bought Tinkerbell on a "buy it now" ebay post and love her to smithereens.

cheri stonespinner 05-27-2011 05:34 PM

Thanks for the site. If I ever get a featherweight I 'll need it. :thumbup:

cheri stonespinner 05-27-2011 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by lovequilts
I have one that I got over 30 years ago for $40.00. I used it for years then it sat in the closet. I recently got it out and forgot the love I have for that machine. I took a class on how to clean and lube/oil your machine. Here is a great web site for informaion, parts and accessories. I took the class from Dave. www.featherweightrx.com

Thanks for the site. If I ever get a featherweight I'll look it up. :thumbup:

Shelbie 05-28-2011 04:52 AM

I guess that I definately belong to the Featherweight club as I have seven of them. My mother's 1947 machine lives with DD#1 and the white one (given to us by a neighbour) stays with DD#2. The next two I have were bought at a local estate sale for $45 each and the owner thought he was making a fortune on his "old" Singers. The other two were purchased on Kijiji from an estate sale for $60 total! My last Featherweight was purchased on Kijiji and had been advertised as a 201 for $125 which I was looking for. When I got there and found out it was actually a 221 I took it anyway. Now I'd like to trade it for a 301 as I found my 201 in a good cabinet as a free to good home machine.

cjr 05-28-2011 08:12 AM

I just bought my FW 221 born 1947, first owner purchased 1948 from an ebay seller the weekend of Friday 13. Worked extra over mother's Day week, so I had a few extra $. Bid on it , 2 hrs later it was mine, very shocked. No one else was bidding. I've had it for a week now. DH cleaned, & oiled, no lint inside. Started it up she purrs & sews perfectly. The only adjustmaent I had to make was stitch length.Lots of attachments, case in very good shape, decals on bed are worrn somewhat, but that means she has been well used.

I also have a 301 that was my Mom's, Love that machine.

While buying my FW I also purchased a 66. Do not know if it works, but one of these days DH can play with it. It also came with lots of accessories.

By the way I've been sewing 60 years and never heard of FW till after I started quilting two years ago.

amBoo 05-28-2011 09:43 AM

This morning I bought a 222 for what I think was a good price! It looks to be in excellent condition with a small amount of wear on a little section of the gold. The case is in great condition. I need to download a manual as it didn't have one with it. I haven't even tried it out yet or checked the serial number to find the year - I've just been admiring it. Didn't expect to find one today so I'm really happy :-)
Nancy

ewecansew 05-28-2011 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by amBoo
This morning I bought a 222 for what I think was a good price! It looks to be in excellent condition with a small amount of wear on a little section of the gold. The case is in great condition. I need to download a manual as it didn't have one with it. I haven't even tried it out yet or checked the serial number to find the year - I've just been admiring it. Didn't expect to find one today so I'm really happy :-)
Nancy

WOW, Congratulations!!!

SewExtremeSeams 05-28-2011 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by LaurieE
I got Aggie Faye (221K) in March 2009 at our local spring festival for $250. (She was born January 1940.) At the end of the month I'm getting one for my daughter. She's been drooling over mine and I was afraid Aggie would start to rust. :)

I take Aggie with me when I go to my quilt guild. I feel so fortunate to have her.

Craftybear - I can give you the contact information for my FW guy (he restores antique machines). You would have shipping costs, of course, since he's in Florida.

Laurie, I like your mat with pockets. Did you design that yourself or is there a pattern for it? :-D