Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/featherweight-club-do-you-have-featherweight-if-so-post-here-so-you-can-all-chit-chat-everyone-welcome-t124727.html)

LaurieE 05-28-2011 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SewExtreme

Laurie, I like your mat with pockets. Did you design that yourself or is there a pattern for it? :-D

Thanks for the compliment. I bought the pattern from: http://www.tazziequilts.com/

It's a super easy pattern. If I stopped and thought about it long enough, I probably could have come up with the pattern myself. If you go to make this for a standard size machine that has a table with legs, you will need to lengthen the mat to go beyond the legs. Otherwise the table's legs won't be even with the machine and it will wobble.

It can easily be made with a solid piece of fabric instead of the 2" squares.

Here's the one I made for my daughter's machine. We just got her machine (1948) yesterday and I am so jealous. Her machine came with all the feet.

Becka's 1930s mat
[ATTACH=CONFIG]203506[/ATTACH]

SewExtremeSeams 05-28-2011 12:35 PM

Laurie,
I see we think alike. So many patterns, if we think (as you put it) we can design our own. Love your daughter's. So, you have a FW, interested in making your own pp patterns and must be into vintage sewing machines. We should be friends. I will PM you. :-D :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

libber 05-28-2011 07:03 PM

Whoa, whoa, I'm missing something here....the mat, where does it go, I am a bit confused about under the feet, pardon my not comprehending all of this, it looks interesting. Libber

a1crafter 05-29-2011 03:25 AM

I sm fortunate to have two featherweights, a 221 and a 301A. When my husband suddenly passed away in 1998, and within a few weeks I lost my best quilting buddy, I quit sewing and quilting. Just recently I am beginning to get back to my hobbies. The Featherweight I purchases before 1998, I just got the 301A last week. The presser foot lifter would not work, but my son came over and with lots of cleaning and new oil, it is sewing and the presser foot lifter is working. I am impressed with the stitch it makes. I have not decided if I will give them a name. The encouragement of this board is priceless.

LaurieE 05-29-2011 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by libber
Whoa, whoa, I'm missing something here....the mat, where does it go, I am a bit confused about under the feet, pardon my not comprehending all of this, it looks interesting. Libber

There are 2 parts to the mat - 1 part goes under the sewing machine and the 2nd part hangs down where you can put your scissors, etc.

When I was speaking about the mat going under the table legs, I was speaking about a non-FW sewing machine that has a separate extension table while sewing.

For example, I have a 1973 Viking 6430 that has a separate table that attaches to the machine that extends my sewing area. This applies to machines that sit on top of a table, not ones fitted inside a cabinet.

If I put the mat under my Viking, like I do under the FW, the mat isn't wide enough to go under both the sewing machine and the legs of the extension table. This creates a situation where the body of the sewing machine has been raised by 1/8" - 1/4". That leaves nothing under the extension table legs but air and nothing to support that extension table.

deplaylady 05-29-2011 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by LaurieE

Originally Posted by libber

There are 2 parts to the mat - 1 part goes under the sewing machine and the 2nd part hangs down where you can put your scissors, etc.

When I was speaking about the mat going under the table legs, I was speaking about a non-FW sewing machine that has a separate extension table while sewing.

For example, I have a 1973 Viking 6430 that has a separate table that attaches to the machine that extends my sewing area. This applies to machines that sit on top of a table, not ones fitted inside a cabinet.

If I put the mat under my Viking, like I do under the FW, the mat isn't wide enough to go under both the sewing machine and the legs of the extension table. This creates a situation where the body of the sewing machine has been raised by 1/8" - 1/4". That leaves nothing under the extension table legs but air and nothing to support that extension table.

Did you use the stuff on the back of the matt so it wouldn't slide?

LaurieE 05-29-2011 08:50 AM

You don't need to because it doesn't slide. At least for me it doesn't.

Ava 05-29-2011 09:32 AM

I have my Mothers Featherweight. Not sure how old it is.
I would love to use it but I cann't get use to the foot feed. Guess I need to practice. When I do use it I get so frustrated I guit and go to my Bernia.

ewecansew 05-29-2011 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Ava
I would love to use it but I cann't get use to the foot feed. Guess I need to practice. When I do use it I get so frustrated I guit and go to my Bernia.

Are you thinking of a treadle? A featherweight just has a regular foot peddle and the machine usually comes in a little bax that looks almost like an overnight suitcase.

canuckninepatch 05-29-2011 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by ewecansew

Originally Posted by Ava

Are you thinking of a treadle? A featherweight just has a regular foot peddle and the machine usually comes in a little bax that looks almost like an overnight suitcase.

I know what Ava's saying.......my foot pedal on my FW is rather awkward to use. I'm not sure if I should use my heel, or my toe, and it's only on one side, the bump on the other side is stationary. I can't use it with shoes on - I have to use bare feet. Any advice on using the FW foot pedals? There must be a trick to it!