Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/featherweight-club-do-you-have-featherweight-if-so-post-here-so-you-can-all-chit-chat-everyone-welcome-t124727.html)

lovelyl 05-30-2011 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch

Originally Posted by redpurselady

Originally Posted by Ava
I have my Mothers Featherweight. Not sure how old it is.
I would love to use it but I cann't get use to the foot feed. Guess I need to practice. When I do use it I get so frustrated I guit and go to my Bernia.

Ava, do you mean the foot controller - when using the foot pedal, your heel goes on the button that makes the machine run, not the front of your foot. The front of your foot should rest on the flat surface while applying pressure with your heel. I too had problems with the foot controller, until I found out that I was using it wrong. My foot controller would be all over the place. I think the stationary button is to help keep your heel from slipping off the button.

Thanks to Billy who told me about the correct use of the pedal -I really enjoy sewing on it now.

Thanks so much - that's how I figured it was supposed to be used, but I tried all sorts of combinations before I came to that conclusion.

WOW- makes a difference! Thanks! :oops:

deplaylady 05-30-2011 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
I have 2 FW's a black one and a light mint green one. I use the black alot I just love the way they sew and go over thick seams. I don't use the green one very much. I gave it to a friend of mine and her DH gave it back after she passed, so I named it after her.

I have a possibly really silly question about the featherweight tables - the FW seems to be farther back on the table than I place my machine - is it an uncomfortable distance? I'm figuring it must not be or it wouldn't have sold, but having short arms I'm thinking it would be a reach. Or maybe the table is lower and would be more ergonomically correct - anyone have any thoughts/answers? I bought an antique folding cherry wood sewing table at a church sale and it is certainly a lot lower than my regular sewing table.

misseva 05-30-2011 09:29 AM

I'm noticing that my FW named Lynn is pulling to the left while sewing. (my daughter's does too) Is this normal or do we need to adjust?

redvette54 05-30-2011 11:22 AM

Since I joined this board last year and reading about the featherweights. I realized it was the machine my great-aunt taught me to sew on when I was I kid. I keep checking CL and garage sales, not finding anything. Last fall I got a steal deal on a 301A on ebay. I started watching ebay again for a FW. Well, last Sunday a was high bidder on a FW, born in 1950. It has been shipped and I'm just waiting for it to come. I'm so excited, can hardly wait til it gets here. So, I'll be joining the club soon.

Ava 05-30-2011 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl

Originally Posted by Ava
I would love to use it but I cann't get use to the foot feed. Guess I need to practice. When I do use it I get so frustrated I guit and go to my Bernia.

Ava, do you mean the foot controller - when using the foot pedal, your heel goes on the button that makes the machine run, not the front of your foot. The front of your foot should rest on the flat surface while applying pressure with your heel. I too had problems with the foot controller, until I found out that I was using it wrong. My foot controller would be all over the place. I think the stationary button is to help keep your heel from slipping off the button.

Thanks to Billy who told me about the correct use of the pedal -I really enjoy sewing on it now.

Thanks so much - that's how I figured it was supposed to be used, but I tried all sorts of combinations before I came to that conclusion.

Thank You to ALL who replied. L learned with my shoe on and with the front of my foot. I would just roll my foot to the left and it would go. But that was quite a long tine ago. I will try with out shoe and with the heel of my foot.
Thank you again.

Ava 05-30-2011 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by lovelyl

Originally Posted by Ava

Thank You to ALL who replied. I learned with my shoe on and with the front of my foot. I would just roll my foot to the left and it would go. But that was quite a long time ago. I will try with out shoe and with the heel of my foot.
Thank you again.

SnowQuilt 05-30-2011 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady

I have 2 FW's a black one and a light mint green one. I use the black alot I just love the way they sew and go over thick seams. I don't use the green one very much. I gave it to a friend of mine and her DH gave it back after she passed, so I named it after her.

I have a possibly really silly question about the featherweight tables - the FW seems to be farther back on the table than I place my machine - is it an uncomfortable distance? I'm figuring it must not be or it wouldn't have sold, but having short arms I'm thinking it would be a reach. Or maybe the table is lower and would be more ergonomically correct - anyone have any thoughts/answers? I bought an antique folding cherry wood sewing table at a church sale and it is certainly a lot lower than my regular sewing table.

I have no problems with it. It is lower and for me its easier. :)

ewecansew 05-30-2011 06:31 PM

A white 221 featherweight just sold for over $600 on ebay this afternoon. Looked good, but I don't think I would have paid that much.

deplaylady 05-31-2011 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by deplaylady

I have no problems with it. It is lower and for me its easier. :)

Thanks - I was wondering. Also - I forgot to say how much I liked your machines - and your kitty! I haven't even got my Black FW back from the shop yet and I'm drooling over the white ones! Hopefully this is the week my FW comes home. Your kitty Avatar looks just like my Rahja's sister (Rahja is the kitty in my Avatar) did when she was a little younger - she's gotten darker with age. He's fluffy like mom, she's looks more like dad.

SweetSlumber 05-31-2011 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by ewecansew
A white 221 featherweight just sold for over $600 on ebay this afternoon. Looked good, but I don't think I would have paid that much.

I've been on Ebay looking for a FW, and saw this one too! It was my first Ebay experience, I have to admit I had sticker shock! Some of the prices are so high! Worth every penny I'm sure, but didn't expect to see as many with starting prices of 600 to 1200.