Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/featherweight-club-do-you-have-featherweight-if-so-post-here-so-you-can-all-chit-chat-everyone-welcome-t124727.html)

Ga Gigi 05-31-2011 03:02 AM

Just keep watching for good price. Last month I purchased one for $225. Was in really good shape. We cleaned it up and it sews really well.

Lacelady 05-31-2011 04:58 AM

Wow, just found this, which was started when I was on holiday, so I've had to read all the posts. I have two FWs, a white 221, and a black 222K. I bought both of them last year from ebay - both under £300. I think I was lucky because there weren't many bidders, probably because they had motors for European voltages (220v) and would have needed converters for the USA.

Neither of them were packed very well, so I took photos as I unpacked them in case of damage. Thankfully both were OK. Strangely, the white one doesn't sew quite so well as the black, it feels more sluggish (stitch is OK) and I've tried adjusting the belt to the point it is quite loose, and only just not slipping. (Billy's advice, belt must not be too tight). So my black 222 has gone to workshops me because it goes like a little train. Neither came with many feet etc., but I have collected a zig zagger and buttonholer, and I've bought a walking foot that fits and works well, plus the regulation quarter in foot.

canuckninepatch 05-31-2011 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
Wow, just found this, which was started when I was on holiday, so I've had to read all the posts. I have two FWs, a white 221, and a black 222K. I bought both of them last year from ebay - both under £300. I think I was lucky because there weren't many bidders, probably because they had motors for European voltages (220v) and would have needed converters for the USA.

Neither of them were packed very well, so I took photos as I unpacked them in case of damage. Thankfully both were OK. Strangely, the white one doesn't sew quite so well as the black, it feels more sluggish (stitch is OK) and I've tried adjusting the belt to the point it is quite loose, and only just not slipping. (Billy's advice, belt must not be too tight). So my black 222 has gone to workshops me because it goes like a little train. Neither came with many feet etc., but I have collected a zig zagger and buttonholer, and I've bought a walking foot that fits and works well, plus the regulation quarter in foot.

I'm confused. I thought FW's only do straight stitching. What is the zigzagger foot for?

Lacelady 05-31-2011 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch

Originally Posted by Lacelady

I'm confused. I thought FW's only do straight stitching. What is the zigzagger foot for?

The do only do straight stitching, but the zig zagger is an attachment (quite bulky). In the case of the 222, the teeth can be lowered and there are cams which fit in the zig zagger, and each one produces a different stitch pattern, because the attachment moves from side to side, not the needle. Amazing to watch. So really Singer or whoever thought these gadgets up invented zig zag stitch long before they were built into a machine. Check out ebay, there are different colours of sets of cams. I only have red ones, but I know there are white, yellow and blue too.

I forgot to say - if you decide you want one of these gadets, be very careful. When I won the first auction and it arrived, it didn't fit, and I discovered it was for a 301, slant needle, not my 222. Sellers often say it will be for both, because the booklet lists both, but that is because when fixed on the machine, they both work the same way. It is the angle of fixing that is different, so you need to research the part numbers. BTW, I have a spare (unwanted zig zagger for a 301, because Pay Pal refunded my money as the first seller gave me the wrong information, and didn't want it back)

hpylady 05-31-2011 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by aorlflood
I got mine about 6 weeks ago at an estate auction while on vacation in Maine. They sold the machine and the FW table in the same lot and I got BOTH for $110. :)

You got a steal of a deal. The featherweight table alone is $200.00 and it is a replica. Congrats! :thumbup: Also, I bought mine on Ebay too about a yr 1/2 ago from a man named Norm from Canada, he was such a good, honest and pleasant man that I named my feather weight "Norma". I wouldn't take nothing for her. She and I have a connection. I paid $204.00 for her. :D

SnowQuilt 05-31-2011 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady

Originally Posted by SnowQuilt

Originally Posted by deplaylady

Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
I have 2 FW's a black one and a light mint green one. I use the black alot I just love the way they sew and go over thick seams. I don't use the green one very much. I gave it to a friend of mine and her DH gave it back after she passed, so I named it after her.

I have a possibly really silly question about the featherweight tables - the FW seems to be farther back on the table than I place my machine - is it an uncomfortable distance? I'm figuring it must not be or it wouldn't have sold, but having short arms I'm thinking it would be a reach. Or maybe the table is lower and would be more ergonomically correct - anyone have any thoughts/answers? I bought an antique folding cherry wood sewing table at a church sale and it is certainly a lot lower than my regular sewing table.

I have no problems with it. It is lower and for me its easier. :)

Thanks - I was wondering. Also - I forgot to say how much I liked your machines - and your kitty! I haven't even got my Black FW back from the shop yet and I'm drooling over the white ones! Hopefully this is the week my FW comes home. Your kitty Avatar looks just like my Rahja's sister (Rahja is the kitty in my Avatar) did when she was a little younger - she's gotten darker with age. He's fluffy like mom, she's looks more like dad.

Thank you. Can't wait to see your FW. Thats Autymn in my Avatar, she is only 3 (4 next month) and she is still getting darker. She like to lay on the table and watch the fabric move while I'm sewing and tries to play with it.
:lol: :)

frauhahn 06-01-2011 12:55 PM

Just got a featherweight today-needs a paint job, but the motor purrs-it didn't come with a manual, but I found one online to look at, and ordered one also. But-until it comes, I'm having a problem I'm hoping that someone can help me with-the upper thread keeps breaking. I'm pretty sure this must be a tension problem. Any ideas? The spool thread and the bobbin thread seem to move easily enough.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

gramquilter2 06-01-2011 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by frauhahn
Just got a featherweight today-needs a paint job, but the motor purrs-it didn't come with a manual, but I found one online to look at, and ordered one also. But-until it comes, I'm having a problem I'm hoping that someone can help me with-the upper thread keeps breaking. I'm pretty sure this must be a tension problem. Any ideas? The spool thread and the bobbin thread seem to move easily enough.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

You can find a free manual on line at
http://www.singer-featherweight.com/...es/singfea.pdf

Check and make sure the bobbin is in correctly and the top thread is correct.

a1crafter 06-01-2011 04:33 PM

Is there a site for a 301 free manual? I would really appreciate the address. Thanks.

frauhahn 06-01-2011 05:06 PM

Thanks! I finally figured it out-the needle wasn't pushed in all the way-it worked great after I re-installed. Beautiful little stitch-even my DH agrees!