Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   How many sewing machines do I need????? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/how-many-sewing-machines-do-i-need-t143038.html)

gus 08-07-2011 09:22 AM

1 HQ16 long arm, 1 Janome, My niece's Janonme Jem (she only sews when here) so I use, an old Singer in basement not sure what (old wood rounded top case), and My Husbands Grandma's treadle on the way, and a serger. Need to get my new room built so I have more room.

drgranny 08-07-2011 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by jean1941
I have 7 and that includes 2 treadles and one hand crank which AI dearly love

Do you use the handcrank machine? I have one and have never gotten to look it over cause my DH put it up on a high shelf and I would have to use a ladder to get to it.

BarbaraSue 08-07-2011 09:45 AM

My answer is this, girlfriend.
How many sewing machines do you need? -- As many as you WANT!!

Lucky you on your buys.:)

klarina 08-07-2011 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
I didn't think "need" was a word in our vocabulary

I think it is more like "have to have"

Annz 08-07-2011 10:12 AM

You can never have too many

MargeD 08-07-2011 10:13 AM

Well, needing a sewing machine is like saying we don't need fabric, we want fabric, but without fabric we couldn't quilt and if we couldn't quilt we (I especially) might get extremely cranky. At one point I think I had 6 machines - an ancient Stradivaro (loved heavy fabric), a Singer in a cabinet, an older Kenmore in a cabinet, a Brother in a case (this machine was free), my Janome 4000, and another Kenmore (also free) probably same vintage as the Janome 4000, as it had very similar bells and whistles. After moving to a 2-bedroom apt. I'm down to the Janome 4000, the Brother, and the Kenmore. Not sure about the Stradivaro, as I left it at a swap table at the local incinerator (dump), but the others all found good homes. Now if my daughter ever comes to visit, I'll give her the Brother, but I'm not shipping it to her, she'll have to come get it.

royllsister 08-07-2011 10:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Yes, PaperPrincess "one more than I already have"! I recently acquired a couple of real beauties, a 1901 Singer 27 with the Pheasant decal motif and a 1912 Singer 27 with the Sphynx decal; both obtained for a song. The Pheasant is in a treadle cabinet that I thought was awesome. I also have a 99K and a 66-16 (Singers) as well as 6 modern Janomes....pssst...don't tell, lol.
Judy in Texas

1901 Singer 27 with Pheasant decal
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237926[/ATTACH]

Home for the Pheasant
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237927[/ATTACH]

1912 Singer 27 with Sphynx decal
[ATTACH=CONFIG]237928[/ATTACH]

Nikki and Co. 08-07-2011 10:40 AM

8 of them, and yes I need all of them ...........LOL

MarthaT 08-07-2011 10:52 AM

Okay, I've not read all of the posts, but just in case there's someone like me feeling left out with all those machines...I have TWO! My first Singer (32 yrs old) that doesn't work because it has a stripped gear that would cost me more to replace (in labor) than what the machine is worth. (I'm hoping my dad can replace it. He fixes everything.) And my faithful, Bernina 930, and it is all I need as long as it works. I don't want any others sitting around that I have to dust! So if you that only have one or two want to start a club for the "one/two sewing machine owners", I'm with y'all! LOL!

MarthaT 08-07-2011 10:52 AM

OOOOPS! How do you delete a post you accidently post twice?????

Okay, I've not read all of the posts, but just in case there's someone like me feeling left out with all those machines...I have TWO! My first Singer (32 yrs old) that doesn't work because it has a stripped gear that would cost me more to replace (in labor) than what the machine is worth. (I'm hoping my dad can replace it. He fixes everything.) And my faithful, Bernina 930, and it is all I need as long as it works. I don't want any others sitting around that I have to dust! So if you that only have one or two want to start a club for the "one/two sewing machine owners", I'm with y'all! LOL!