Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Quilts made using vintage machines! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/quilts-made-using-vintage-machines-t134918.html)

Caroline S 12-17-2013 10:50 AM

Is the pattern available for the Best Friends quilt?

purplefiend 12-18-2013 04:21 AM

Jean,
Your Santa quilt is beautiful, so is the quilting.

Cathie,
You can find more wonderful free scrap quilt patterns at : www.quiltville.com This is Bonnie Hunter's website, she makes most of her quilts with vintage electric and treadle machines. The pieces you call sew on/offs , she calls them leaders and enders and eventually she makes wonderful quilts from them. I piece log cabin quilt blocks like that.

My latest quilt top is a Spiderweb/String Star that was pieced on a Singer 301 electric and 2 of my treadles; a 1914 Singer 115 and a 1917 White Rotary.
Sharon in Texas

nanna-up-north 12-18-2013 05:00 AM

Thanks everyone for your kind, encouraging comments. I find myself using my vintage machines more and more. I just need to try using more different ones rather than using the same ones although the 15-91 is going to be the FMQ go-to machine forever.

I do like that Best Friends quilt that you are working on, Cathie. I would like to know where a pattern is as well. I keep building a bigger scraps pile that I don't get rid of.... I keep thinking I will make a scraps quilt but don't have time to do one. Then, I think maybe I'll give them to someone else but I haven't done that either. The bags get bigger and more full.

Sharon, did you post your Spiderweb quilt? I must have missed it or just forgot (old brains do that pretty often, you know). It sounds really cute.

Caroline S 12-18-2013 10:16 AM

I did an Internet search this AM for the Best Friends quilt pattern. I found it here. http://www.trudiehughes.com/patterns.htm

I guess I could have sat down and worked the pattern out on my own. But I opted out to just buy the pattern.

Cathieinut 12-18-2013 04:49 PM

Yep that's it Caroline...a friend gave me the pattern several years ago and I do it in starts and stops! LOL

I think if I were to start all over I would use larger pieces...those 1.5x1.5 are so small and if you aren't accurate it really shows up! I am searching for some dark-dark donations on the board a several have volunteered to send me some. Everyone is so nice here.

Sharon- I am very familiar with Bonnie's Quiltville site...I am in the midst of sashing the Pineapple Blossom blocks right now which is one of her free patterns...she is so generous to share so much. I am also doing her mystery right now and got some leftovers to add to my dark dark pieces. Not doing that one on my treadle though I just don't feel as confidant with my seams as I do with my trusty Viking #1 but since it is 20 years old it consider it almost vintage!

If anyone wants to know...
There are 4 patches made from 1.5x1.5 inch squares
Rectangles from 1.5 x2.5 inch pieces
then the alternating blocks are 4.5x4.5 inch squares...
I have been piecing the 4 patches forever and now I am adding rectangles to a bunch so that I can get a few blocks finished to admire all my hard work! Hee hee hee

Caroline S 12-19-2013 06:05 AM

I ordered and received Best Friends pattern yesterday, a PDF download. Since I have tons of 2 1/2" squares I have been accumulating for a future charm squares quilt, I am going to larger size blocks. But that will be after I make some test blocks.

Cathieinut 12-19-2013 07:54 AM

That will be a good idea for the quilt...with the dark accent is is sort of like a Irish Chain plus a lot of other piecing.
Hope you share when you get a start

purplefiend 12-19-2013 12:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 6462152)

Sharon, did you post your Spiderweb quilt? I must have missed it or just forgot (old brains do that pretty often, you know). It sounds really cute.

I just finished the top last night. Here's a couple of photos. The top is 57x70, its for a teenager of a wounded soldier . (The 1st picture, my hubby is making sure the dog doesn't do boy dog things on the quilt top.)
I sewed the blocks on 2 of my treadles, #1 a 1914 Singer 115 and a 1917 White Rotary & a Singer 301. The borders were sewn with a 1976 Pfaff 1222E electric. I'll probably quilt it with a Bernina 930 or the plastic wonder (2009 Husqvarna Viking Sapphire 875).
Sharon

purplefiend 12-19-2013 01:07 PM

Here's a short video of me sewing some of the blocks while I was watching the American league base ball play offs. I'm using a 1914 Singer 115 treadle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aWI4rqBJkw
Sharon

vintagemotif 12-19-2013 09:03 PM

Sharon, Nicely done! I like you scrappy quilt. It reminds me more of looking through a kaleidoscope than a spiderweb.