Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Quilts made using vintage machines! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/quilts-made-using-vintage-machines-t134918.html)

miriam 11-08-2011 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by 1Snowbird (Post 4652612)
Miriam, do you like your Spartan?

yes, I like that little bugger - it is very simple and straight forward. No light though. I need to do something about that soon. It shares the same bobbin as my 403 which I LOVE. I think I'm keeping that one.

Morag 11-09-2011 08:03 AM

Does anyone know about a Kenmore 177.20 ? Just fell into my lap yesterday free.... It is in a nice cabinet, but the machine itself is dusty and in need of a good cleaning. The wheel and the needle is moving so hope I can save it.

Morag 11-09-2011 08:19 AM

Love the machine and the pinwheel quilt is so pretty:)
I love pinwheels....

miriam 11-09-2011 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Morag (Post 4656874)
Does anyone know about a Kenmore 177.20 ? Just fell into my lap yesterday free.... It is in a nice cabinet, but the machine itself is dusty and in need of a good cleaning. The wheel and the needle is moving so hope I can save it.

Come on over to the Vintage Sewing machine shop and post a pic - we can direct you to more info there.

deedum 11-09-2011 08:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a few I pieced using my Singer 15 and quilted on my other Singer 15

Bennett 11-10-2011 11:08 AM

Very nice, I like the half square triangles/pinwheels. Is the top one a disappearing 9 patch?

vintagemotif 11-10-2011 12:43 PM

Deedum, I love your quilts!

melinda1962 11-10-2011 03:07 PM

deedum, pretty quilts. Mine all tend to look alike, but I do not do well following patterns. I usually start trying to and end up turning it into an offbeat thing. I mostly deal with squares, but try triangles some. My next endeavor will be triangles, I think, but the bias stretching just makes it tough. I haven't made one since I started fmq, so maybe it will go better at the quilting phase. Keep up the good work.

miriam 11-10-2011 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962 (Post 4662790)
deedum, pretty quilts. Mine all tend to look alike, but I do not do well following patterns. I usually start trying to and end up turning it into an offbeat thing. I mostly deal with squares, but try triangles some. My next endeavor will be triangles, I think, but the bias stretching just makes it tough. I haven't made one since I started fmq, so maybe it will go better at the quilting phase. Keep up the good work.

I've mostly made simple quilts - I guess I figure I'm going to have my eyes closed when I'm using it anyway. That said. I did the one above for Wilbur, then I saw one on QB where someone sewed some squares right over the cut up squares and made a whole new design. Me being lazy thinks that is a plan for something different. Maybe use a color for the center, a color for each corner and a color for the inside square of the 9 patch. That's 3 colors. Cut like before. Then put on a square of a 4th color that was ironed down the diagonal and stitch on either side of the fold, cut down the fold and - hooo eeeee a couple new squares!!! So each 9 patch would make 8 squares. I wonder what goes in the center? I just have to get myself busy.

melinda1962 11-10-2011 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by miriam (Post 4662836)
I've mostly made simple quilts - I guess I figure I'm going to have my eyes closed when I'm using it anyway. That said. I did the one above for Wilbur, then I saw one on QB where someone sewed some squares right over the cut up squares and made a whole new design. Me being lazy thinks that is a plan for something different. Maybe use a color for the center, a color for each corner and a color for the inside square of the 9 patch. That's 3 colors. Cut like before. Then put on a square of a 4th color that was ironed down the diagonal and stitch on either side of the fold, cut down the fold and - hooo eeeee a couple new squares!!! So each 9 patch would make 8 squares. I wonder what goes in the center? I just have to get myself busy.

I am an idiot sometimes, so I am going to ask. So you are saying, do the disappearing 9-patch up to the cutting into four squares, then put the new plain squares on top of them and make two half triangle things of each one, for the total of 8 squares? Would you sew toward the little dot on the 9patch part and cut the little dot into a baby triangle?