Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Quilts made using vintage machines! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/quilts-made-using-vintage-machines-t134918.html)

Cheshirepat 07-06-2011 02:37 PM

Oh! Cathy!! I haven't seen "my Grandmother's" sewing machine since I was a kid! It was exactly that Singer model 301 in exactly that color scheme...wow, memories!

RuthFru 07-06-2011 03:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have my mother's old machine, a Featherweight 221. I made a table runner for myself and some pic's of my Mom that I gave my 3 brothers for Christmas 2 years ago. She was also an avid knitter so I used some of her knitting needles to use as the hangers.

This is my table runner
[ATTACH=CONFIG]221985[/ATTACH]

The wall hangings for my 3 brothers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]221986[/ATTACH]

vintagemotif 07-06-2011 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by RuthFru
I have my mother's old machine, a Featherweight 221. I made a table runner for myself and some pic's of my Mom that I gave my 3 brothers for Christmas 2 years ago. She was also an avid knitter so I used some of her knitting needles to use as the hangers.

Ruth,

That is such a wonderful gift and clever idea! I love the fabrics that you picked and the knitting needle is very original. And your table runner is gorgeous!
Thanks for posting this!

Annaquilts 07-06-2011 03:52 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Great post. I enjoy seeing pictures of people that are doing the actual quilting on the vintage machines too. I am just starting to dabble into using the vintage machines for piecing Singer FW both black and white, singer 401, Singer 301 two tone, Bernina 830 (mechanical) and I am trying to work with the singer 15-91 for the actual quilting. My husband paper pieces on the Singer 301 Mocah. I have a Singer Red Eye treadle head and a Singer 201 that is right now set up in the treadle cabinet. My goal this summer is to make a simple quilt on a treadle. I am still learning to cordinate so the tread still breaks frequently.

Singer Feather Weight white
[ATTACH=CONFIG]221997[/ATTACH]

Pictures of the machines are from when we just got them. Singer 301 mocha in cabinet.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]221998[/ATTACH]

Singer Red Eye all fixed up. Right now I have a Singer 201 in the treadle as it has a reverse, bigger throat opening and sews smooth as butter.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]221999[/ATTACH]

vintagemotif 07-06-2011 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Great post. I enjoy seeing pictures of people that are doing the actual quilting on the vintage machines too. I am just starting to dabble into using the vintage machines for piecing Singer FW both black and white, singer 401, Singer 301 two tone, Bernina 830 (mechanical) and I am trying to work with the singer 15-91 for the actual quilting. My husband paper pieces on the Singer 301 Mocah.

Anna,
Those quilt tops are handsome! Both are nicely done, and I really love the brown one with the stars-nice pattern. I love seeing everyone's work that they have done using vintage machines! I'm always surprised at how beautifully these elderly machines stitch! Please post photos of your husbands paper-piecing when all is finished!

SewExtremeSeams 07-06-2011 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
The " I Spy Quilt" that I made for my dad was pieced and quilted using my Singer 201K.

Love your I Spy. I really like it. :-D

SewExtremeSeams 07-06-2011 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by cctx.
I make all my quilts using my vintage machine, but there are too many photos to post.

BTW, nice job on your Blues/Whites quilt.

How about showing 5 or 6 of them? I would love to see them. :-D

SewExtremeSeams 07-06-2011 06:17 PM

Thank you Purplefiend for the link for the crumbs blocks. That is a great idea. I have so many little pieces that I don't want to throw away. Most of them are brights, like yours.

PABerard 07-06-2011 06:22 PM

*jealous*

cherrybsixty 07-06-2011 06:37 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok here's my quilts.

The ancient quilt with the paint stain
[ATTACH=CONFIG]222106[/ATTACH]

the ancient quilt that is hand pieced/appliqued/quilted
[ATTACH=CONFIG]222107[/ATTACH]

the 401A that has been with me for over 40 years
[ATTACH=CONFIG]222108[/ATTACH]

I pieced the top with the 401A and sewed the binding with her.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]222109[/ATTACH]