Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Quilts made using vintage machines! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/quilts-made-using-vintage-machines-t134918.html)

happyquiltmom 11-15-2012 05:36 AM

Dorothy, I'm about to leave for work (at my LQS! :) ). Will get some photos of the penny mats up later.

Basically, I drop the feed dogs, set all the dials to 0 and let 'er rip! I use the Machingers gloves and a large table for support. It takes alot of practice; I started out with small projects and things I didn't mind messing up on. The largest project I've done so far is a queen size quilt.

happyquiltmom 11-17-2012 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another one I just finished, pieced and straight-line quilted on my Singer 401A , FMQed on my Bernina 830 Record. This is for another couple in our church, whose baby girl was born two weeks ago.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]377141[/ATTACH]

BoJangles 11-18-2012 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by happyquiltmom (Post 5664033)
Here's another one I just finished, pieced and straight-line quilted on my Singer 401A , FMQed on my Bernina 830 Record. This is for another couple in our church, whose baby girl was born two weeks ago.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]377141[/ATTACH]

Oh Jeeze that quilt is so cute! Did you applique' the flowers by machine? I have not tried to quilt anything with one of my Rocketeers nor the 401a! The quilting looks great - I don't see any puckers/folds! I would be afraid to straight line quilt without a walking foot!

Nancy

thepolyparrot 11-18-2012 11:31 AM

happyquiltmom, that is precious! My favorite colors, too! :)

happyquiltmom 11-18-2012 01:52 PM

Nancy, I did the straight line quilting with a walking foot on the 401A, the FMQing with a darning foot on the Bernina (my 401A doesn't like FMQing). The secret to no puckers/folds is taking care with the basting. I use curved safety pins when I'm machine quilting; thread when I'm hand quilting.
The applique was done by hand...Wonder Under fused, then buttonhole stitched with #12 perle cotton.
I haven't gifted the quilt yet...the family hasn't been to church since the baby was born.

irishrose 11-18-2012 02:09 PM

What a perfect baby quit! Your flowers are outstanding!

Crossstitcher 11-19-2012 03:21 PM

Love the baby quilt pattern and the colors. Any new mom would love to have a quilt like this.

BoJangles 11-23-2012 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by happyquiltmom (Post 5665677)
Nancy, I did the straight line quilting with a walking foot on the 401A, the FMQing with a darning foot on the Bernina (my 401A doesn't like FMQing). The secret to no puckers/folds is taking care with the basting. I use curved safety pins when I'm machine quilting; thread when I'm hand quilting.
The applique was done by hand...Wonder Under fused, then buttonhole stitched with #12 perle cotton.
I haven't gifted the quilt yet...the family hasn't been to church since the baby was born.

Well the mom who receives that quilt is going to love it! You did a great job with the satin stitch! I do machine applique' too, but I usually use the blanket stitch - I am not that good with the satin stitch!

Nancy

happyquiltmom 11-24-2012 07:45 AM

Nancy, It's not satin stitch. I call it buttonhole stitch, but I think it's the same thing as blanket stitch. And, it's done by hand, not machine.

I do machine applique sometimes, but usually use monofilament thread and a narrow zigzag. My machines don't do blanket stitch.

nurseknitsLaura 11-25-2012 02:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]378525[/ATTACH]Here's my latest everything but the kitchen sink scrappy stars. I used up a ton of left over stars, and made some more, too. I store my finished tops on the wire so I don't forget about them, and so I can see the whole thing while I think about how I'm going to quilt it. Although, who am I kidding, It's usually feathers on everything.:p Laura