Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

OmaForFour 03-29-2011 07:09 PM

Thank you all for your compliments! I am very very happy with this machine. It purrs like a kitten. I am having the spool pin fixed hopefully tomorrow.
Instead of using a seam guide that I have to attach like the one I saw in the message, I am opting to put the QTools Sewing Edge tape on at the proper measurement for the 1/4 inch.
I should be able to do some sewing on her tomorrow.
Thanks again for all your information and good thoughts.

OmaForFour 03-29-2011 07:14 PM

You can read about the conversion at www.treadleon.net I saw it there this evening. I am not sure I fully understand it but will read it again and then decide if I want to do it.

I understand these back clamping parts were only on a few machines and then Singer realized people did not care for them and they stopped.

Good luck!

quote=cabbagepatchkid]

Originally Posted by OmaForFour
Billy,

I just got a 1914 Singer Red Eye with the back clamping feet.
I wondered if you would know where I can purchase additional pieces for it such as a quarter inch foot etc etc.
Do they make these for my machine to accomodate the latest type of quilting on a machine if you know what I mean?
I bought a walking foot that I can use on my Featherweight for example.
I hope this pic comes through.

Whoa! That's a real beauty! I just bought a red eye that has the back clamping feet, too, but I didn't know they were scarce :shock: . I have read, somewhere, that you can switch the needlebar so that it is the kind that accepts the side clamping feet. Not sure how hard it would be to do.[/quote]

marge 03-29-2011 07:14 PM

Oh what a boo, boo, I made. It's not a "Free Man sewing machine" It's a " Flying Man" ever heard of it?
Marge

Miz Johnny 03-29-2011 07:15 PM

Thank you all for your compliments! I am very very happy with this machine. It purrs like a kitten. I am having the spool pin fixed hopefully tomorrow.
Instead of using a seam guide that I have to attach like the one I saw in the message, I am opting to put the QTools Sewing Edge tape on at the proper measurement for the 1/4 inch.

Many of us use the magnets that come as promotional items through the mail, etc. They work great as seam guides and don't mar the finish.

BoJangles 03-29-2011 07:22 PM

Miz Johnny, my new machine does not say Bantam, but it looks exactly like the one in the link you sent. It says American.

Melinda thanks for the link to that Singer Dating site. I did not know about that site - it is nice for the newer machines.

Jljack, that is an awesome Western Electric! What a lucky find! I can certainly see why you are so excited!

Hobbykat, you won a beautiful Redeye and I can't believe you got that 301 for $30! Congratulations!

Nancy

OmaForFour 03-29-2011 07:39 PM

I forgot about the fact that I have a magnet specifically for that! Thanks for the reminder.

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Many of us use the magnets that come as promotional items through the mail, etc. They work great as seam guides and don't mar the finish.

Weedwoman 03-29-2011 08:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
I have a 15 clone that says "made in occupied japan" on it. It says Diamond on the machine and she's a beauty. Got her for $15.00 cabinet and all at a flea market.

Weedwoman, is it a color or black? How do you like to sew with the Diamond? You know that after WW2, Japan with money from the US, manufactured a lot of sewing machines. Supposedly, most of those machines were cloned after Singer's Model 15 and 99. These machines are suppose to be very well made and some say smoother running than the Singers they copied? They come in metallic blue, green, pink, yellow, and fire engine red! I want one of each color!

Nancy

It's black and I haven't sewn with it yet cause it's in the wrong cabinet style to put a belt on to treadle. We pulled the tail off when we got it and cleaned it up no noticing the holes were in the wrong place for belt to go through cabinet.

before being cleaned
[ATTACH=CONFIG]177228[/ATTACH]

sewbizgirl 03-29-2011 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn

Billy,

I just got a 1914 Singer Red Eye with the back clamping feet.
I wondered if you would know where I can purchase additional pieces for it such as a quarter inch foot etc etc.
Do they make these for my machine to accomodate the latest type of quilting on a machine if you know what I mean?
I bought a walking foot that I can use on my Featherweight for example.
I hope this pic comes through.

That sure is a nice red eye you have there unfortunately the back clamping attachments are not made anymore and are very hard to find. Sometimes you can find them on ebay and in antique stores. It took me almost two years to find attachments for my red eye. I was lucky some very nice and generous members of this board helped me in finding some. Glenn

I spent a bunch of time online today looking for these (while this board was down ALL DAY!!) and found... nothing. Your best bet might be to buy a whole sewing machine that is in poor condition, but has all the feet with it. A donor machine. My 1908 66 also takes the back clamping feet...

sewbizgirl 03-29-2011 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by luce321
Dama, my daughter is 48 yrs old and still has her toy machine that I purchased for her from Sears when she was about 7 yrs old. Ooops!!!! I mean that Santa Claus brought her. LOL

Okay, we won't break her heart and tell her it wasn't really Santa Clause... :lol:

sew1 03-29-2011 08:54 PM

Have a Singer 15 Made in 1911. My machine has a thread stitch indicater on the bed under the Singer emblem. Haven't been able to find another one that looks like this.Can you tell me anything about her?