Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

lkwon 03-31-2011 09:30 AM

It's a short bed 301.

eta - solid tan colour only

chris_quilts 03-31-2011 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by lkwon
It's a short bed 301.

eta - solid tan colour only

That's a good price. I would buy it.

purplefiend 03-31-2011 10:05 AM

I am stuck in the land of indecision. I am a new sewer. I am looking at buying either a Singer 301 or Singer 401. They are both in OK condition (they sew but will need to be cleaned etc) and they are both around $125. I can't afford to buy both.

Please help me decide: which would you choose and why?

If you want a zig zag machine go for the 401, its a great machine. The 301 is a wonderful machine too, only does straight stitch.

purplefiend 03-31-2011 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Gorgeous, gorgeous 7 drawer treadle cabinet (plus machine) for $150 in Mansfield, MA if anyone is interested. We are supposed to get a snow storm :shock: tomorrow or I would be on the road to go get it (I need another cabinet like a need a hole in the head).

http://providence.craigslist.org/fuo/2282594393.html

Its too bad that they don't show the machine too! That cabinet is gorgeous!

irishrose 03-31-2011 10:22 AM

lkwon, I quilt on a 301 at home, but have used a 401 at a quilt guild. I didn't see much difference except theirs needs a light and some oil. Do you have another machine with a zigzig? That might be a deciding factor. It is a handy feature for some non quilting operations.

lkwon 03-31-2011 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
lkwon, I quilt on a 301 at home, but have used a 401 at a quilt guild. I didn't see much difference except theirs needs a light and some oil. Do you have another machine with a zigzig? That might be a deciding factor. It is a handy feature for some non quilting operations.

yes, I do have another machine with a zigzag. I think that's part of what makes this so difficult.

the 301 is more portable, so I'm leaning towards it. There's just something about the 401, though...

Miz Johnny 03-31-2011 11:33 AM

I am stuck in the land of indecision. I am a new sewer. I am looking at buying either a Singer 301 or Singer 401. They are both in OK condition (they sew but will need to be cleaned etc) and they are both around $125. I can't afford to buy both.

The 301 is straight stitch, small, light weight and very portable. The 401 has multiple stitches and is heavy--a stationary machine. It depends on the sewing you do. If you want it for piecing, the 301 is the way to go. For all types of sewing, the 401 is a better machine. For the record, the 401 was a much higher priced machine when purchased new.

jljack 03-31-2011 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend

Originally Posted by jljack
My 301 is still going "click click click" at the needle plate. I have taken the bobbin carrier out a couple of times to be sure it is in right, wiggled it around, still get the "click click". I'll try oiling it some more, and I do need to take out the whole bobbin assembly and clean it really well, because the tension keeps creeping tighter.

did you put the bobbin case base finger back between the throat plate springs? Is the needle in with the flat to the left and threaded right to left?

Yes to both. It is sewing, it just makes a little clicking sound.

jljack 03-31-2011 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Question!!! For my 1917 Western Electric machine, I know it takes Greist attachments, but how do I tell which ones? I have been looking at a bunch of them, and they all look the same on the "attaching end". Are they interchangeable, or what do I need to look for? Thanks!!

OK....asking this same question again. My machine is on the way. I would like to get the attachments too. Thanks!!

BoJangles 03-31-2011 12:59 PM

Doesn't the 401 take cams? If you want a machine to take to classes the 301 is the better choice, much lighter. The 301 is complete - it only does a straight stitch - forward and reverse. The 401 (I am sure) takes cams, so you will need to get the cams with the machine in order to use the machine. Anyone else want to jump in? The cam thing might be the deciding factor for me -- depending on what I wanted to do. I love my 503, but it will not sew at all without a cam!

Nancy