Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 03-31-2011 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by dltaylor
I could not pass it up...so I brought it...thanks for the advice!!

Congratulations on your new Featherweight! What year is the machine? Did you get the case and attachments too?

Nancy

BoJangles 03-31-2011 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by RUSewing
Question:

Can you drop the feed dogs on a 1923 Model 66?

I'm a new owner of a vintage Singer and just LOVE it, although I've still have much more to learn. It sews a beautiful stitch!

Thanks,
Terry

RUsewing, no I don't believe the feed dogs drop on the 1923 Model 66. I went throught this with my 1914 Model 66, I think Billy had said at one time you can get the feed dogs down with some finagling, but there is not a thumb screw that will just drop the feed dogs like the Model 15's have.

Miz Johnny, Billy what do you say?

Nancy

Kitzone 03-31-2011 02:48 PM

Chris ~ I like your Bel Air and your kitty (avatar). Have you tried any other manufacturers attachments to see if they would work? I wonder if older Brother attachments would work??

Kitzone 03-31-2011 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by jljack

Question!!! For my 1917 Western Electric machine, I know it takes Greist attachments, but how do I tell which ones? I have been looking at a bunch of them, and they all look the same on the "attaching end". Are they interchangeable, or what do I need to look for? Thanks!!

OK....asking this same question again. My machine is on the way. I would like to get the attachments too. Thanks!!

JiJack, when you get your sewing machine, post a picture or two of the presser foot that comes with the sewing machine. It will help to see what type of attachments you can use. Or if you already have some extra attachments maybe they will work on your new SM. Can't wait to see some photos.

chris_quilts 03-31-2011 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
Chris ~ I like your Bel Air and your kitty (avatar). Have you tried any other manufacturers attachments to see if they would work? I wonder if older Brother attachments would work??

Kitzone ~ Love your kitty avatar pic too. I noticed it right away when you started posting on the VSMS site. I think for the bobbin plate cover, a singer one would work. Honestly, I have some older Greist attachments that I've contemplated trying but too little time and too many things to do. I don't know about older Brother attachments - have not found any in the wild, yet. :D

Miz Johnny 03-31-2011 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by lkwon
I am stuck in the land of indecision. I am a new sewer. I am looking at buying either a Singer 301 or Singer 401. They are both in OK condition (they sew but will need to be cleaned etc) and they are both around $125. I can't afford to buy both.

Please help me decide: which would you choose and why?

Doesn't the 401 take cams? If you want a machine to take to classes the 301 is the better choice, much lighter. The 301 is complete - it only does a straight stitch - forward and reverse. The 401 (I am sure) takes cams, so you will need to get the cams with the machine in order to use the machine. Anyone else want to jump in? The cam thing might be the deciding factor for me -- depending on what I wanted to do. I love my 503, but it will not sew at all without a cam!

Nancy

The 401 takes cams, the easy to find top-hat style. I agree I wouldn't want to haul a 401 to class, but if all other things were equal (cost, condition, etc.) and I could only have one machine, I would definitely prefer a 401.

Miz Johnny 03-31-2011 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by RUSewing
Question:

Can you drop the feed dogs on a 1923 Model 66?

I'm a new owner of a vintage Singer and just LOVE it, although I've still have much more to learn. It sews a beautiful stitch!

Thanks,
Terry

RUsewing, no I don't believe the feed dogs drop on the 1923 Model 66. I went throught this with my 1914 Model 66, I think Billy had said at one time you can get the feed dogs down with some finagling, but there is not a thumb screw that will just drop the feed dogs like the Model 15's have.

Miz Johnny, Billy what do you say?

Nancy

No dropping feed dogs on a 66. If you're looking for one that does, try a Japanese class 15. Usually the knob to drop the dogs is right on top, and they are wonderful machines, usually available for a great price, and can drop right into any cabinet that holds a Singer.

Miz Johnny 03-31-2011 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kitzone

Question!!! For my 1917 Western Electric machine, I know it takes Greist attachments, but how do I tell which ones? I have been looking at a bunch of them, and they all look the same on the "attaching end". Are they interchangeable, or what do I need to look for? Thanks!!

OK....asking this same question again. My machine is on the way. I would like to get the attachments too. Thanks!!

JiJack, when you get your sewing machine, post a picture or two of the presser foot that comes with the sewing machine. It will help to see what type of attachments you can use. Or if you already have some extra attachments maybe they will work on your new SM. Can't wait to see some photos.

If it's a side-clamper, just about any straight shaft side clamping attachments (Singer, Griest, etc.) will work.

luce321 03-31-2011 03:58 PM

Billy, what a big difference in your machine, it looks like new. Good job! Lucy

luce321 03-31-2011 04:12 PM

Hi Judy, happy to have you with us. You will really enjoy all the info you get here. Everyone is so nice and helpful.
Lucy