Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

chris_quilts 04-19-2011 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by jljack

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Here are the pics. Will not post all cuz I'm like a new mom with her baby but will post some.

Chris ... I am admiring your 301, and it looks just like mine I got last month!! Aren't they just the most wonderful!! Congratulations. And the Green Bernina is The BOMB!! Cool looking machine!!

Thanks so much. The 301 does sew sew sweetly. She may be my travel machine. The Bernina is the bomb and sew sweetly as well. I just have to clean/organize my sewing space, which is a neverending chore, in order to get both set up nicely.

tlpa 04-19-2011 06:11 PM

What a great site! I have a question on a featherweight I picked up not too long ago. It has a beautiful stitch, and would love to use it more but one problem is the motor smokes. I don't know if its from grease...or??? Can I open up the motor to see if there is a problem? Or is this something that needs to be checked by the pros? It doesn't take too long to start smoking, then I don't dare use it any more.
Thanks so much!

HisPatchwork 04-19-2011 06:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by star619
Thank you for your generous reply about my Singer. I've been reading on the two websites since I received your email. The machine in the picture has a hand-crank. I've not yet gotten coordinated enough to turn the crank with my right hand and operate the machine with my left. Also, the bobbin is shaped more like a rolling pin that a... flying saucer(?). It's just a bit tricky. I'll keep my eye out for an older machine for your granddaughter!

I have been making my mug rugs with my hand crank and my DGD made a coaster on it. I love sewing on it. I don't remember what page I posted the picture of it on, so I will post another picture.
Did you find out what year yours was made?

HisPatchwork 04-19-2011 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn

Originally Posted by HisPatchwork

Originally Posted by Glenn

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
OK Vintage Machine owners...another question...On my 301 and my Redeye when you wind bobbin the needle goes up and down also...Is there some way to wind the bobbin without that happenning? I'm thinking not...but maybe I'm missing something.

Yes turn the center knob on the handwheel clockwise and the wheel will free spin loading the bobbin and the needle will not move. Glenn

Mine does not stop when I loosen the center knob on the hand wheel to wind the bobbin. Any ideas?

Remove the wheel from the machine and clean the shaft and oil it good. The wheel may be sticking on the shaft. It must move freely. Glenn

Thank you Glenn, I will try that.

chris_quilts 04-19-2011 06:16 PM

RaJean; Were you able to find out any info on your machine? She is sew beautiful.

HanNatNana 04-19-2011 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Bronwyn
that sounds great you will have to post pictures when you can also can you tell me how you went about getting the felting adapter as l would like one
Elsie Blight
you can pm me if you like[/quote]

G'day Elsie

I haven't got the machine that I will convert to felting it's in Sydney at my son's house, he got it on Freecycle for me along with another machine so once I get them home I can decide which one will be used, then I can post photos.

For now I've attached a photo of the adaptor from the eBay listing #400209297275 I also bought a 6 x pack of spare needles as I like to have spares, jic!! Full instructions come with the kit as well as a piece of foam that you cut and put into the bottom of the machine where the bobbin case etc used to be. This is why it's best to use a clunker...as long as the motor runs and the needle shaft goes up and down that's all you need. Probably best (imho) not to use a 'good' machine.

With our $$ being so good against the US$ atm now is a good time to buy because it will cost less than the listed US price. The lady is really quick to mail, mine arrived in 7 or 8 days which is normal with parcels etc from the US.

What I like about this adaptor is that you can use between 1 & 6 needles if you want...also if you break one needle that's all you need to replace, whereas some felting systems have a 5 (or 6) needle head and if one needle is broken you need to replace the whole head.

Hope this helps?

Bronwyn ;-)

Felting Adaptor fitted with 6 x barbed needles
[ATTACH=CONFIG]186611[/ATTACH]

HanNatNana 04-19-2011 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So sorry for the double posts......I'm NOT clicking twice (or three times) but I do have a really slow connection today which seems to post everything multiple times.

Bronwyn :thumbdown:

Felting Adaptor fitted with 6 x barbed needles
[ATTACH=CONFIG]186612[/ATTACH]

HisPatchwork 04-19-2011 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
RaJean; Were you able to find out any info on your machine? She is sew beautiful.

Not much, but I was able to get a manual to download. The name was registered by Bernard Stower in Germany. The machine was bought at a car 'boot' sale in England. The manual I downloaded was for the SERATA machine, but was from the Robert Nelson & Co. They were Manufacturers of Domestic Machines, London and Branches. I saw one on some site that was younger than mine, but I can't find it now. Thought I had the info saved. I am going to write it on the manual when I find it again. I had to improvise on the bobbin winder friction ring. I took the rubber belt off my Singer treadle when I took the motor off. I cut it down to size and put it back together with dental floss and it works just fine. It is larger than the one for my Singer and I couldn't find one anywhere else yet.

HisPatchwork 04-19-2011 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by HanNatNana
So sorry for the double posts......I'm NOT clicking twice (or three times) but I do have a really slow connection today which seems to post everything multiple times.

Bronwyn :thumbdown:

We just bought a new mouse because the old one was clicking multiple times and randomly on the screen...it was aggravating!

chris_quilts 04-19-2011 07:11 PM

RaJean; Wow!! Does the machine sew nicely? Isn't it interesting what we will go through for our machines to get them up and running. She sure is beautiful. Have you tried the Ismacs site for more info? They may be able to help you out. www.ismacs.com I think that's the site.