Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

vintagemotif 02-01-2011 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt

Originally Posted by Donna Mare

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Honestly quilters are way more fun to hang out with and we do not mind helping each other out. Plus the way I look at it is that we are all family here and that is the way I like it!!!:thumbup:

Billy

Shame on them! Their loss!

...Is our gain! We really like having you 'around', Billy. Thank you for all your help, answered questions and expertise. We learn vicariously through you, and as a result... you've fired up a whole lot of us into salvaging/saving/restoring a lot of good, old machines.

Billy, Thank you for sharing! And everyone else too! I found this board while researching quilting with a treadle. I was so excited because I had finally found a group that was open and willing to share. I didn't have to pay a membership. With the use of the internet and younger folks taking an interests in vintage and retro sewing machines, there will be more blogs and groups forming,( the Yahoo and Facebook groups are an example of this now). I feel that as a collector gets old ( and we are all getting old), their machines are going to have to be sold and passed down to younger folks. So, why not share and help the younger collectors understand and love their vintage machines too. The machines will live longer than the owners. So best to be of help and teach, just my two cents.

vintagemotif 02-01-2011 10:06 AM

There are groups out there now called the modern quilter, a form of a quilt guild without the dues (at least the one around me is this way). They just want to share their knowledge, works, and love of quilting. I feel that this site is the modern vintage machines group, the same ideology as the modern quilters group.

Lostn51 02-01-2011 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I recently joined NB after someone suggested it to me. It did seem like a ridiculous amount of hoops to jump through and RULES. It was extremely off-putting... don't use it but it's there as a resource if I ever need to look something up. Funny to read your comments because as a total Newb there I got the same feeling: "We OWN this information and you WILL conform..."

I have been a member for years and I have noticed the decline. Its a little club of about 10 or 12 folks that contribute and it has been said many times by Alan that "This is my site and I can damn well do what I want with it".

Billy

vintagemotif 02-01-2011 10:23 AM

[quote=Lostn51]

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl

I have been a member for years and I have noticed the decline. Its a little club of about 10 or 12 folks that contribute and it has been said many times by Alan that "This is my site and I can damn well do what I want with it".

Billy

That isn't a very pretty epitaph. Ya can't take them with ya; so, why not share your wealth of information. That is what life is about: sharing and learning.

tomilu 02-01-2011 10:31 AM

Back to quilting. Just went outside to give feral cats fresh food. Had to fight my way through a drift up against the storm door. Windchill is -20 something. Looks almost to whiteout stage. So glad I have my machines to play with.

vintagemotif 02-01-2011 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by tomilu
Back to quilting. Just went outside to give feral cats fresh food. Had to fight my way through a drift up against the storm door. Windchill is -20 something. Looks almost to whiteout stage. So glad I have my machines to play with.

It is around mid 60s here and sunny. Nice day to do garden work, but it is too early for that. I have a quilt to baste. I'm headed off to work on that.

Donna Mare 02-01-2011 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by tomilu

wow.. amazing! I drove through Kansas once...never saw so much sky in my life. It was soo flat and the fields were beautiful! That was late summer.. Hope you stay warm and safe!

tomilu 02-01-2011 11:13 AM

Anyone need/want a manual for Singer 15-91?
http://wichita.craigslist.org/atq/2191919108.html

Quilt Mom 02-01-2011 11:14 AM

We started yesterday with an icing - then snow. As the snow continues to fall today (and tomorrow, they say) I am enjoying catching up on all the posts and learning more about the vintage machines. Wonderful to have a snow day occassionally to catch up!!

Shemjo 02-01-2011 11:15 AM

We are having snow/sleet/freezing rain here in the St.Louis area. Expect it to turn to snow and continue for...... I am staying home now and getting caught up on the board before doing some sewing.