Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 02-06-2011 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

I started a quilt as you go (hand quilting) Log Cabin 25 or 30 years ago. Some day, I'm going to pull it out and finish it on the machine. Sure.

I am not so sure about the hand quilting part!? But, I am sure you could do the finishing on the machine part! I'd love to see it.

Nancy

BoJangles 02-06-2011 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
I saw that machine last night and thought you were going to take it.
Something tells me it will be yours.

Well, Monica, it would be nice if you were here to go with me to see this machine. It is not in a good section of town from the zip code. I will have to wait until DH has time to go with me.

Nancy

vintagemotif 02-06-2011 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

I saw that machine last night and thought you were going to take it.
Something tells me it will be yours.

Well, Monica, it would be nice if you were here to go with me to see this machine. It is not in a good section of town from the zip code. I will have to wait until DH has time to go with me.

Nancy

I would have gone with ya if I lived up there close by. In fact, I would like to get together with you and Penni one day. And anyone else that would like to meet in the East Bay or Valley area. Someone pick a spot.
I turned down a great deal on a Wilcox and Gibbs that I saw for $75. It was in a nice treadle, but I didn't want the machine. The treadle was cute, but I do not have room for another (I'm sure Miz Johnny would say I have plenty of room).

cabbagepatchkid 02-06-2011 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Thank you guys for the compliments! Quilt As You Go is a fun way to use your treadles or even the electric vintage machines. You are only working with one block at a time to quilt, but when I finish 4 blocks (the blocks are 17"s square), then you still have to do a little wrestling to attach them to the sashing. Not like trying to quilt a queen sized quilt, though, and wrestle the whole thing just to quilt it! I have done that many a time! The really neat thing about the way I did these blocks is your blocks don't have to all measure the exact same thing! When you use the back ground, attach it to all sides and put the blocks on point, wacky, then square each one up to 17 1/2"s, no one ever knows your blocks didn't all measure exactly 12 1/2 inches to start with! Love it!
Nancy

I really like the wacky/wonky-ness of it. It's a striking quilt.

Weedwoman 02-06-2011 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Anyone know if it's safe to remove the feed dogs on my new 201-2? I don't want to mess anything up but I see tons of lint and debris under there. I searched for the answer but couldn't find it.

If you lower them, does that help. I just cleaned while up and then lower them and cleaned while dropped. I used toothpick or pin to get stuff out and took the shop vac to the spot.

One of my favorite 'tool' for cleaning in hard to reach places are pipe cleaners. You can get them in all thicknesses. They help me out alot cause you can bend them to reach where you need to get and the little fibers on them grab lint like a magnet.

Kathie S. 02-06-2011 11:05 AM

Beautiful Nancy. I want to learn how. Kathie

vintagemotif 02-06-2011 11:06 AM

[quote=BoJangles]

Y

The really neat thing about this is that you can make a completely reversible quilt. Here I am using flannel on the back to make a comfort quilt, but I have done one completely reversible.

Nancy
Oh sorry about the pink, orange, and yellow stickies! I have to number the blocks to make sure they stay wacky!

This is beautiful! I like this, very NICE!

irishrose 02-06-2011 11:21 AM

There's a 501 - is that the Rocketeer? - wirh a case and attachments on ebay closing in few hours. It looks like it is going to go for less than $100. What a temptation! I think I'm going to turn the computer off until the machine is sold. Shipping is listed at $40, but that's expedited. Economy will be less.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=p5197.c0.m619

tjradj 02-06-2011 11:31 AM

Vacuuming the inside. I have a Sharp hand held vacuum that I use for cleaning "inside" the machines. Once I put the crevice tool on, then I use duct tape to attach a drinking straw. Just make sure the duct tape leaves a bit of space so you don't get too much suction. I can slide that straw into just about any spot, even squeezing it a little to fit the tiny spots. By using a handheld vac, if I accidently suck up something important , there is only a small screen to clean to find it instead of going through a whole vacuum cleaner bag!

Lostn51 02-06-2011 11:42 AM

Well Kids this is a heads up that I am going to be having a big sale on some machines in the Sale section of the forum. It looks like I will have 6 or so machines and some manuals and accessories. Its going to be my clean out the studio and thin a bit of the collection out to make room for more machines of higher quality. But this will happen in a couple of weeks and I will post here after listing them in the proper area.

Billy