Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

tomilu 01-24-2011 11:31 AM

I tried to have a TOGA in OK in conjunction with a Ray White class, but didn't have much luck. Was never able to attend the Texas ones. Perhaps I will be lucky this year.

Miz Johnny 01-24-2011 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by whenpigsfly

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Has anyone attended a TOGA

I have been to many. I go each year to the NC, TN, and Ohio TOGAs, and have been to the VA and MI ones as well.

Of those, which would you recommend if someone could only attend one (and add NH to the mix if you know anything about it)?

Any plans to attend the new one in Texas this year?

I don't know about the new one in TX, but the Texas Round Up has been going on for years. It's not specifically for People Power Machines, so there's lots of FW lovers there, too.
I don't know much about the NH TOGA, either--you might join the groups to get a feel for the different "flavor" of each meet up. The North Carolina one is probably the biggest of the ones listed, and I have only missed it once, (family illness). You have the opportunity there to attend a Ray White repair class (pricey, but you learn a lot), go to Mary Jo's fabric and the thread mill outlet, and to Harry Berzack's sewing machine museum.
I love the TN TOGA as well, and it is growing in size. The OH TOGA is small and only one day, but I always feel like I'm with old friends. (I guess by now I am!!)

The MN TOGA is the biggest one of all, and some day I will get around to going to it as well!

ssgramma 01-24-2011 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by ssgramma

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Miz Johnny, I'd love to live close enough to you to see your machines! I also have a 99K, but of course mine still has a cord attached. Your 99K looks great as a hand crank.

Nancy

I wish you lived close enough to come and take some HOME with you.

I do! Any chance you have a 201? Preferably old enough to have a scroll plate.

I have 201 electric, HC and treadle. And you'll pry them out of my cold, dead hands. . . . . .

Sorry for asking. You made it sound like you might have available machines.

I am looking for an electric 201 if anyone has one up for adoption.

Miz Johnny 01-24-2011 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Miz Johnny, I'd love to live close enough to you to see your machines! I also have a 99K, but of course mine still has a cord attached. Your 99K looks great as a hand crank.

Nancy

I wish you lived close enough to come and take some HOME with you.

I do! Any chance you have a 201? Preferably old enough to have a scroll plate.

I have 201 electric, HC and treadle. And you'll pry them out of my cold, dead hands. . . . . .

Sorry for asking. You made it sound like you might have available machines.

I am looking for an electric 201 if anyone has one up for adoption.

Just joking--no offense meant!! I do love my 201 machines, and none of them have been cheap. I did find a $40 one once for a friend, but it is rare to find one so cheap!

You're not that far away; I went that direction this weekend. I'm thinking maybe 4 hours?

sew wishful 01-24-2011 02:24 PM

Has anyone attended a TOGA

I have been to many. I go each year to the NC, TN, and Ohio TOGAs, and have been to the VA and MI ones as well.

Of those, which would you recommend if someone could only attend one (and add NH to the mix if you know anything about it)?

Any plans to attend the new one in Texas this year?

I don't know about the new one in TX, but the Texas Round Up has been going on for years. It's not specifically for People Power Machines, so there's lots of FW lovers there, too.
I don't know much about the NH TOGA, either--you might join the groups to get a feel for the different "flavor" of each meet up. The North Carolina one is probably the biggest of the ones listed, and I have only missed it once, (family illness). You have the opportunity there to attend a Ray White repair class (pricey, but you learn a lot), go to Mary Jo's fabric and the thread mill outlet, and to Harry Berzack's sewing machine museum.
I love the TN TOGA as well, and it is growing in size. The OH TOGA is small and only one day, but I always feel like I'm with old friends. (I guess by now I am!!)

The MN TOGA is the biggest one of all, and some day I will get around to going to it as well!

Where, in Tennessee, is the TOGA?? And dates?

Glenn 01-24-2011 02:46 PM

Nancy, That is a round wooden sewing box with lid. Found it in the trash on the street by our house when living in Germany. Yes I do use all my treadles to piece quilts. Thank you, I am glad you like what us quilter guys can do. Some of these men are really good. Glenn

sew wishful 01-24-2011 02:51 PM

I'm feeling a little sick catching up on all these posts again. I have a treadle Singer that I haven't done a thing with. It was a gift from the husband of my friend who passed away in August. He didn't care to keep it, I had been looking for one and he just gave it to me! And I have the 15-91 that I have replaced the cord on so it will run, BUT, I'm hosting a cousins get together for my husbands family on Saturday which means I have to clean up my house, keep things in order so no dragging out the machines to play!! I have to clean, straighten, tidy and cook all week (and here I sit!!) when I want to play with my toys!!
I'm in the middle of a rag quilt...just have the cutting to do for the "fraying", so it's coming along, but I have to clean, straighten, tidy......LOL!!

purplefiend 01-24-2011 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
My 1952 128 has a bentwood case. .

I have a 1941 128 in a bentwood case. And don't 201s come in bentwoods, too?

My 1937 Singer 201k was originally a hand crank and came
in a bentwood case. I treadle it now.

purplefiend 01-24-2011 03:01 PM

Singer actually advertised the 201 as the finest machine manufactured by Singer. I have yet to get a 201, but you are right they seem to find us. I started out just getting one treadle, now I have over 20 vintage machines! The sad thing is, I have no desire to quit!

Nancy[/quote]

I love my 201! Its the quietest treadle machine I own,
when well oiled its nearly silent. I think that is why I don't like sewing with the VS machine, they make a noise that is
irritating to me.

purplefiend 01-24-2011 03:33 PM

[I am looking for either a 15-91 or a 301...wish our thrift shops had little hidden gems...[/quote]

How can you tell what's a 15-91? from the others? SN? label somewhere? Gosh, I might have just passed one up in a local thrift store, it was in a banged up travel case... $45.[/quote]

You can tell the difference between the Singer model 15s this way: The 15-88 is a treadle(no motor),15-90 has the motor mounted on the rear of the machine and is belt driven, 15-91 has the potted motor mounted up near the hand wheel on the back and is gear driven.
Sharon W.