Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Kathie S. 05-04-2011 09:29 PM

Kathie, I have a Jones just like yours. I think your decals might be in better shape and I do not have a stand or cover for it like you do. I love it. :-D[/quote]

Do you use your Jones? I do not plan on using mine. Do you have a manuel with yours? I do not. Lucky they left it threaded, but it looks easy to thread. Kathie

Kathie S. 05-04-2011 09:31 PM

[quote=vintagemotif]Meet Mr. and Mrs. Two Spools, the Cowboy and Melinda.
Beautiful machines. Have fun with them. Kathie

Kathie S. 05-04-2011 09:34 PM

Nancy why did you not tell me years ago how much fun collecting can be. When I get back from the Bahamas I plan on having the White cabinet restored and look for another cabinet for the Miss Nancy machine. Kathie

luv2learn 05-04-2011 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
I was wondering if anyone recalls the post about 30 pages or so ago... where someone was having difficulty getting their feed dogs to advance the fabric? I think she had a Singer 66 Redeye? Does anyone know if she ever figured out what was wrong?

Judy

Judy, (sorry rambles so much!!)

Thanx so much for keeping my problem in your mental file system. . . you must have a mind like a steel trap! Yes, it was my Singer Redeye problems posted on page 867, (can you believe not just 30 pages back, but about ONE HUNDRED and thirty!!) I tried everything everyone here suggested with no luck yet. However, in re-reading the posts just now with your reminder to jog me, It looks like I never did post the photos showing the feed dog area that you were asking about. I got so discouraged about it, I told my husband I will just sit her on a shelf and look for another redhead with all working parts to put into the cabinet. But in reality I would love to eventually be able to gain enough knowledge to resolve the problem myself. He said, "I hate to see you not get her working after all the hours you have put into learning, disassembly, cleaning, reassembly, and adjustments....maybe it just needs a new part. (He has shared the interest with me and has been an active participant and encourager) My response was that "I can't even replace any parts until I can figure out the true problem" . . .

So I continue to read everything posted here in hopes of eventually seeing someone else's fix or helpful hint that may work. Actually, since my request for help, someone posted a link to info that I thought I archived, but it's not in my files and I haven't yet been able to relocate it through the search feature.. I can only remember bits and pieces because I just scanned through it at the time thinking I had saved it for further reference. I don't know who posted it but it had a lot of great info regarding things like: something to do with the presser bar regulator and the pressure foot lifter; . . . adjustments to the stitch regulator. I recall that there were photos pointing out things to check inside the back cover on the head; there was much more than I can recall, because I was just scanning it. There were several things that I thought might help in resolving my problem and there were lots of photos. I will eventually relocate it because I am re- reading all of the posts since that time in search of the info.

Thanx for keeping my issues in mind and I'm open to learning and trying anything that might help. In the meantime, I will keep my eyes open for a funtioning redhead and continue to learn from you and others on this board and all sites referred to. Brenda

Kathie S. 05-04-2011 10:01 PM

About a week ago or more someone was having trouble getting her sewing machine going. I have gone back 20 pages and can not find it. She said that motor smelled hot when using the machine. One of my machines is smelling hot also. I have forgotten what she did to resolve the problem. Any help will be much appriciated. Kathie

vintagemotif 05-04-2011 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
About a week ago or more someone was having trouble getting her sewing machine going. I have gone back 20 pages and can not find it. She said that motor smelled hot when using the machine. One of my machines is smelling hot also. I have forgotten what she did to resolve the problem. Any help will be much appriciated. Kathie

Give it a motorectomy! Oopps, that's not what you wanted to hear. I'm the treadle gal; so, I'm not much help for what to do with motors, besides tossing them. Good luck!

miriam 05-05-2011 02:35 AM

Could the motor smell hot because some oil got in there or on a belt? or Does the motor just need to be cleaned? I bought one once that I'd swear someone oiled the motor. It had to be taken down and really cleaned before it quit smelling funny and running bad. It's now the Singer 403 I use the most. It was like new in appearance when I got it but someone had REALLY oiled her up to sell it. She had set around a long time and wasn't moving. People sometimes think if she doesn't move her motor is not working. It was more like all kinds of dried on oil inside her over the years. Once she was cleaned she was virtually a new machine. Those old Singer 400 & 500s do NOT like dried on oil. If the dial doesn't work chances are it is dried on oil. However I have one that has a very obvious bent stitch selector shaft. I need to get my donor machine out and do a transplant. I'm just not sure if a Singer 500 will match up with a Singer 401 stitch selector shaft without taking them both out.

BoJangles 05-05-2011 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Kathie, I have a Jones just like yours. I think your decals might be in better shape and I do not have a stand or cover for it like you do. I love it. :-D

I don't remember seeing a picture of your Serpentine? Can you post a picture of your Jones machine?

Nancy

BoJangles 05-05-2011 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.
I have a question for all you experts. My 1911 New Home machine surface is rough. There are a few spots that are smooth and shiney. The majority of the machine is rough feeling and dull. I thought that maybe it was dirty. I took some cleaner and rubbed on it. The rag was not dirty and hubby and I got the feeling that maybe the machine had a clear coat on it and the clear coat went bad. Any feed back. I do not want to rub on it any more and neither does hubby for fear of destorying the decals. Kathie

Kathie the machines do have a clear coat. It is called the japan finish, which is the last coat on the machine, and yes the japan does 'go bad' - more like it starts doing the 'crazying' thing and looks cracked all over. The japan finish does come off too. I would go over the machine with Liquid Gold to see if you can clean it that way as the Liquid Gold is what Billy recommends to fill in the cracks in the japan to cover up that crazing look.

Nancy

BoJangles 05-05-2011 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Meet Mr. and Mrs. Two Spools, the Cowboy and Melinda.
Some like to collect featherweights, but I like to collect Two Spools. I couldn't resist this one since it came in a treadle cabinet. Melinda is a pretty little lady ready to piece up my next quilt which will be a quilt for a friend's son who is getting his Eagle Scout Award. And the Cowboy has honorary position under my Singer 66-1 on the bookshelf.

Wow, Monica how in the world did you find a second Two Spools? If have never seen one doing my sewing machine searches! I am really glad those machine found you - I love the look of the Two Spools! Maybe, that is why I wanted that Graybar so bad -- it looks just like those Two Spools!

Congratulations! Are you going to switch the machine heads out and use both of them on occasion?

I love the cabinet Melinda sits in too, especially the treadle pedal with the feet! That cabinet looks like it is in good shape too?

Nancy