Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Weedwoman 04-03-2011 01:18 PM

Nancy, little Willy's cabinet is just beautiful. You guys did a wonderful job on it.

fabric whisperer 04-03-2011 01:22 PM

Wow, Nancy ~ that does NOT look like the same cabinet! I'll bet WIlly is very happy!!! I'm keeping my eyes open for the right "Willy" for me...

Glenn 04-03-2011 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by hootnannie
From a cocoon to a butterfly ... what a beauty!!

Hootnannie, isn't his cabinet beautiful! I can't imagine why they ever painted it black, except the original owner's daughter said her dad painted everything black!

Glenn where are you? You have to see this! I am so proud of my husband -- he's the one that did this!

Nancy

Nancy, your husband did a wonderful job on the cabinet. Please tell him he did great. Black paint is one of the hardest to strip with and undercoat of white. I am impressed. Glenn

Glenn 04-03-2011 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by hootnannie
From a cocoon to a butterfly ... what a beauty!!

Hootnannie, isn't his cabinet beautiful! I can't imagine why they ever painted it black, except the original owner's daughter said her dad painted everything black!

Glenn where are you? You have to see this! I am so proud of my husband -- he's the one that did this!

Nancy

Nancy, your husband did a wonderful job on the cabinet. Please tell him he did great. Black paint is one of the hardest to strip with and undercoat of white. I am impressed. Glenn

Glenn 04-03-2011 01:32 PM

Sorry for the double post I just go excited for the wonderful job your husband did on the cabinet. What did he use for the top coat, shellac? Glenn

Kathie S. 04-03-2011 01:36 PM

Remember this cabinet, it came black and looking like crap? We used a bunch of cans of stripper to get all three coats of black paint off -- and it had a coat of primer, DH did some sand blasting of the treadle irons, lots of elbow grease (mostly my DH's since he decided I was too slow at it), a little staining and finishing and look what my late 1800's Wilcox and Gibbs gets back! His original cabinet!!!!!!!!!!!Yippppeeeeeeeee!

Nancy

Nancy that is beatiful. Enjoy. Kathie

cherrybsixty 04-03-2011 01:59 PM

Remember this cabinet, it came black and looking like crap? We used a bunch of cans of stripper to get all three coats of black paint off -- and it had a coat of primer, DH did some sand blasting of the treadle irons, lots of elbow grease (mostly my DH's since he decided I was too slow at it), a little staining and finishing and look what my late 1800's Wilcox and Gibbs gets back! His original cabinet!!!!!!!!!!!Yippppeeeeeeeee!

Nancy

Nancy, you and your hub did a gorgeous job. Enjoy it.

purplefiend 04-03-2011 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by deedum
Bily,
Can you help me? I need singer motor lubicant in tube for my old singer 301's. Hubby wants to get this done before I use the machines much. Can you tell me where to get this? thanks

You might be able to get it at Wal-mart or Joanns.

BoJangles 04-03-2011 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend

Bily,
Can you help me? I need singer motor lubicant in tube for my old singer 301's. Hubby wants to get this done before I use the machines much. Can you tell me where to get this? thanks

You might be able to get it at Wal-mart or Joanns.

Yep, Wal Mart and JoAnnes both carry the Singer Lubricant as do most sewing repair shops and fabric shops -- blue and yellow tube!

Thank you all for the compliments on Willy's restored cabinet. My DH has been in the garage around the clock for the last three weeks. He really got into this as he thinks little Willy is really cute. I am just blown away at how nice the cabinet looks now. When I started the stripping of all those layers of black paint then white primer, I wondered if it would ever look good again! Just goes to show you what determination can accomplish. I love that cabinet now!

Glenn we did your tutorial, except the stain is red oak.

Nancy

buslady 04-03-2011 03:29 PM

Bily,

joannes sells it, found this out after i ordered it on line, silly me. beautiful cabinet. there has been some beautiful machines on here, keep em coming, i sure enjoy looking.