Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

SewExtremeSeams 04-16-2011 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by HanNatNana
I had a Bernina 830 many moons ago (bought new, since traded) and the foot pedal did the same...it was in summer and I was sewing with bare feet and the pedal started burning my foot, then 'pop' and it stopped. Took it to the local dealer, this is back when they used to 'repair' things rather than buy a new one and he said it was a capacitor that had blown and replaced it. I never had another problem while I owned the machine, nor did the new owner for many years later. So if you know an electrician or someone with electronics as a hobby, from what I recall it was a regular capacitor....they could test it for you anyway and it would probably be much cheaper to repair, than replace.

Hope this helps?
Nana ;-)

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Hi again! Thought I would stop in before y'all reached 1,000 pages.

I have a question about my 1975 Bernina 830 (tons cheaper than the current Bernina 830!). Yesterday I was merrily quilting along and my machine stopped running. As usual I reached down to push the plug back into the foot pedal. When I picked it up I notice it was very hot. I mean really hot. Put the pedal on the floor again and went to sew... no dice! She ain't moving.

The light on the machine remained on so I am pretty sure the problem lies with the foot pedal. But, what would cause it to heat up like that and why won't it move?

Anyone, know what is going on here? To my recollection this has not happened before in the 36 years I have had her. Hopefully, someone knows what's going on. Thanks for any help you can give me. Nice chatting with y'all again. :-D :-D

Hi! Thanks for your suggestions. We took the pedal apart and my DH couldn't see anything amiss. He wiggled two parts that might have been touching each other... lo and behold, it is working just fine right now. Hope that fixed it.

I just happen to be doing a few projects on it and didn't want to change machines in the middle. Glad I won't have to. Sure the love the board members' willingness to help each other. Thanks again. Linda :-D

sewbizgirl 04-16-2011 10:36 AM

[quote=Nanamoms][quote=sewbizgirl]Hi, sewbizgirl! You saw the same one I did, didn't you!!! I couldn't figure it out until I clicked on it and read the description!! LOL

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
How many times, in your Craig's list searches, have cars turned up in the search results? I'm so tired of people saying their used cars "run like a sewing machine"! What's up with that, anyway? I sure wouldn't want to drive something that ran like a sewing machine! When did this become such a cliche for a good-running old car? Crazy.

I see it multiple times, in most every search for "sewing machine"... Folks in my area must really love that saying.

sewbizgirl 04-16-2011 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Hi! Thanks for your suggestions. We took the pedal apart and my DH couldn't see anything amiss. He wiggled two parts that might have been touching each other... lo and behold, it is working just fine right now. Hope that fixed it.

I just happen to be doing a few projects on it and didn't want to change machines in the middle. Glad I won't have to. Sure the love the board members' willingness to help each other. Thanks again. Linda :-D

YAY!! That's probably not the last time he will be into that foot controller... good thing you have a handy hubby. :D

buslady 04-16-2011 11:46 AM

The VSMS will be one year old next week, looks like we could hit the 1000 pages, as well. Thats one year and a thousand pages of knowledge, sharing, friendship an, dare I say it, enabling! Great job everyone, and thanks for sharing.

sew wishful 04-16-2011 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by greenini
just was wandering around ebay...this is very cool looking I don't have the room, but anyone, else??

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bell-Portable-Se...=item20b879472

Wow! I love this little gal! If you notice what she brings, let us know. I'd love to have her, but not interested in bidding on ebay.

chris_quilts 04-16-2011 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Truth of it is, if I were closer, I'd be there, too; and I DEFINITELY don't need any of those machines!! That honking big White was the one that caught my eye!!

Miz Johnny; The White also caught my eye but I figure that one may go pretty high. The other guy (antique guy) who was there at the same time as I was was very excited when he saw that machine. He wrote a lot of notes about it and took several photos so I know he was interetsed as were several other ladies also previewing the machines. Would love to know the price of that one but truthfully am just hoping that I can get one of the 301s.

JaneK 04-16-2011 12:25 PM

Hello! I was out at the estate sales this AM and found a machine for $5.00. It's a Nelco model, has zig-zag capabilities. Does anyone know who made this machine? In the process of cleaning it, I'll post a photo soon. It's skipping stitches when i first tried it out...any thoughts as to what might cause this, old needle, not oiled? Help please. :)

irishrose 04-16-2011 01:38 PM

Your Nelco is a Japanese made machine made imported by the person who was an early distributor for Necchi and Elna machines. He named it by combining their names. Apparently, that did not set well with both companies- gee, imagine that. A picture would be interesting as I have both an Elna and a Necchi.

tomilu 04-16-2011 02:07 PM

My shuttle on the Damascus is worn, giving me fits and I sure need to find another. I thought there might be some fuzz under the spring, but cleaning did no help. It takes a Boye #13.

I am also in need of a lower shaft half moon gear for a Riccar, model 555 if anyone has a parts machine.

Glenn 04-16-2011 02:32 PM

I have not had internet since Monday. Could not read the threads on the VSMS until today. Att lost DSL. I did not realize how addicted I was to the board. Glenn