Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

emmah 04-20-2011 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by denise d

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Denise, Someone will help you I am sure by this evening. I know how disappointing it must be. What machine do you have? Most of these vintage machines have online FREE manuals. A lot of my manuals have a list of all the parts in picture form.

Have you looked... hold on, I will be right back.

Here: look on this

http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1013

If there is a title concerning the model of machine you have, you could open it and reply with your need for help. That might get you a quicker answer. Let me know if you don't find what you need. You can PM if you want. :-D

I have a Singer 66 Red Eye the year it was allotted was 1911.

I did look at Billy's tutorials, but I am not seeing what I need. Thanks everyone for the help. :D

This British site has great downloads of how to take apart and refurbish the 66/99 with clear pics: http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/

I just checked, and most of what you need is there, I bet!

vintagemotif 04-20-2011 12:27 PM

Denise, so sorry about your little helper! My 3 year old (back in 1975) saw how much I loved my, then, brand new Bernina sewing machine. So, in order to be helpful, he took a rag and a spray bottle of water to shine it up. I about had a cow when I discovered what his little helping hands were doing. I didn't yell at him, however, because I could see he really was trying to help Mommy. And, he still loves sewing machines to this day. Whew... glad I could hold my tongue.

Sorry about your machine troubles. I know someone is going to be able to help you in this shop. :-D

Thanks... I did not yell. What is a girl to do?! I am guessing that someone will be able to help, otherwise I can just find a repair shop.

The most disappointing thing about this, is I was hoping to get her up and running by myself....:)

OMG! I think if I were in this predicament, I would find another machine to take apart and then simultaneously work each machine back together again. All you need is a Singer 66 like yours, doesn't have to have the same decals. Were you following Billy's tutorial on cleaning the machine? That should help you too. Check youtube too.
Good luck!

denise d 04-20-2011 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by emmah

Denise, Someone will help you I am sure by this evening. I know how disappointing it must be. What machine do you have? Most of these vintage machines have online FREE manuals. A lot of my manuals have a list of all the parts in picture form.

Have you looked... hold on, I will be right back.

Here: look on this

http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1013

If there is a title concerning the model of machine you have, you could open it and reply with your need for help. That might get you a quicker answer. Let me know if you don't find what you need. You can PM if you want. :-D

I have a Singer 66 Red Eye the year it was allotted was 1911.

I did look at Billy's tutorials, but I am not seeing what I need. Thanks everyone for the help. :D

This British site has great downloads of how to take apart and refurbish the 66/99 with clear pics: http://www.tfsr.org/publications/tec...achine_manual/

I just checked, and most of what you need is there, I bet!

This might work... at least the parts look the same. Thank you sooooo much!!!! :thumbup:

tjradj 04-20-2011 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Denise, so sorry about your little helper! My 3 year old (back in 1975) saw how much I loved my, then, brand new Bernina sewing machine. So, in order to be helpful, he took a rag and a spray bottle of water to shine it up. I about had a cow when I discovered what his little helping hands were doing. I didn't yell at him, however, because I could see he really was trying to help Mommy. And, he still loves sewing machines to this day. Whew... glad I could hold my tongue.

Sorry about your machine troubles. I know someone is going to be able to help you in this shop. :-D

Thanks... I did not yell. What is a girl to do?! I am guessing that someone will be able to help, otherwise I can just find a repair shop.

The most disappointing thing about this, is I was hoping to get her up and running by myself....:)

OMG! I think if I were in this predicament, I would find another machine to take apart and then simultaneously work each machine back together again. All you need is a Singer 66 like yours, doesn't have to have the same decals. Were you following Billy's tutorial on cleaning the machine? That should help you too. Check youtube too.
Good luck!

I suppose this is better than what my older brother did when he was 5. We lived in the back half of a house. The farmer who lived in the front had a brand new pickup truck. One day, he had a large can of axle grease in the back. My brother, being a helper, painted the truck in axle grease. That truck never did rust!! and it lasted forever!

hootnannie 04-20-2011 01:13 PM

I know there's some who enjoy treadle tools. Found on CL in NY.

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/atq/2325902254.html

HanNatNana 04-20-2011 01:49 PM

Thanks. And, I will remember not to shoot the messenger!

I might wait a bit though since I have several projects going. Will you post a new topic when you work with it? I am sure that would be interesting to a lot of board members.

:D

Will do as this group is 'the' best online group and I want to pay back as much as possible.

Bronwyn

:thumbup:

HanNatNana 04-20-2011 01:53 PM

I know a lot of folks have taken apart their machines. I have a bit of a quandary...

I took my machine apart and soaked it. Unfortunately my 5 yr old was playing with the camera. Yes, you see where this is going.

He deleted the photos I took. ARGH!!!

Needless to say, I have a million pieces in a bag and no blasted clue where to begin.

Does anyone have photos of their process or a link to a manual or schematic that I can follow? Thanks for the help.

G'day Denise

There is a program that will recover those deleted photos so don't despair yet. I've recovered photos taken several 'years' previous even when the card had been formatted several times after they were deleted.

If you google 'Rescue Pro' you will get several sites with free downloads, it's only a very small program but worth it's weight in gold, imho!! It often comes with SanDisk cards, that's how I got it.

Hope this helps?
Bronwyn ;-)

HanNatNana 04-20-2011 01:55 PM

Grrr.... it's happening again!! sorry!!

Quiltgranny 04-20-2011 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny

I've got a 301a foot controller question or two. Recently acquired a 301a shortbed with the old bakelite foot controller which is driving me crazy. Don't know if this is operator error or what, since I'm new to this type of foot controller.

When depressing on the button on the left of the foot controller, my machine usually hesitates before starting to sew - from a slight hesitation to I need to use the hand wheel to start her. I know this is not normal from what I've read, that being that she should just take off running, no hesitation or hand wheel assistance required.

Also, the foot controller button seems kinda 'sticky', in that it takes more pressure from my foot to depress, and even that varies when using. Often, she'll just start racing and nearly eats my fingers off if I'm not careful. So, getting any speed control is difficult at best.

I was having problems with my button foot controller for my "new" FW, the other day. I took the cover off and then I sprayed a little Tri-Flow lubricant onto a Q-tip and rubbed it on the moving parts of the inside of the foot controller. When you take the cover off you will see the part that is depressed whenever you step on the button of the controller. Press it and see how sticky it is (please unplug your controller before doing this :shock: ). Rub the lubricant where ever you see the little hinges moving. I even used a toothpick dipped in the Tri-Flow to get a little bit of it into the hinge easier. Keep squeezing the "thingy" up and down to work the lubricant in there and VOILA!! it should operate nice and smoothly. Here is a link that shows you how to take it apart and put it back together again.
http://blog.sew-classic.com/2009/11/...r-control.aspx

Hi Cathy,

Thanks so much for your assistance and for providing the link. I did as you suggested, and am finding it a bit less sticky and starting up a bit better after running some trial lines of stitches. I'll sew on it some more later this evening and see if improvements continue.

Much oblige, :thumbup:

sewgram1 04-20-2011 04:36 PM

Hi -You are right. Thanks. Now I'm going to find out how to use the little beauty.