Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Glenn 04-22-2011 03:18 PM

anybody know anything about a 128 Singer(may 1941)? A friend gave me on today. Everything is there except one of the bobbon covers ( Front one). Glenn

Quiltgranny 04-22-2011 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny

This summer I plan to use all the attachments that I have collected from my Singers and also the Davis NVF. I have two quilts that I just need to finish before I can play with all the attachments. Once when wandering around blog land one night, I found this lady who had used all her vintage attachments. She sews her own vintage clothes and does a beautiful job too. Well after reading her blog, I thought that trying out all the attachments that I own would make an interesting project between quilting projects. Have fun!

Regarding that blog from the gal that did use all of her old attachments, did you happen to bookmark that site? I did recently buy the "Sewing Machine Attachment Handbook" by Charlene Phillips that I'm finding quite helpful, but just wondered if you had a link to the info that you read.

Thanks, :D

NO! :( That book sounds wonderful. I will need to look at that.[/quote]

Here's one place you can find it; good price, too. :thumbup:

http://www.amazon.com/Sewing-Machine...3514641&sr=1-1

HTH,

purplefiend 04-22-2011 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Well I did something I said I would never ever do. I purchased a machine off ebay. My latest is a Singer 328K, that I want to use in treadle. I like to finish off my bindings with a decorative stitch. I have been using my daughter's Threadbanger T-30 which can handle this type of work so far, but I have been worried about the machine being able to continue to handle this load since the machine has plastic parts. So, I have been on a hunt for a machine to use in treadle that has cams for decorative stitching. I do hope that this machine will work out well for what I wish to use it for.

Monica, what is wrong with the color? I think it is very pretty! Does that 328 have a space to attach a belt? It looks like maybe, but can't tell in the picture. Will you post pictures when you get 'Hank' in a treadle and let us know how well that works out! Congratulations, on your newest addition. I am excited to see how it works with that machine as a treadle.

Sharon is that the one you use in a treadle?

Nancy

Hank photographs better than he looks! My husband was surprised at the picture and commented that in the photo the top looks almost white when it's not at all. In my research, I found a could of blogs that showed the 328 in a treadle. The free manual online shows that it can be treadled. In front bottom right by the guide for the thread for the bobbin winding setup (hope that makes sense, sorry) is a plug that gets removed. All that is needed is the motor belt taken off, then the treadle belt is threaded through a back slot, up over the top wheel, and down through that front opening before stapling treadle belt (sewing the leather together with dental floss, like Sharon does). I think this must have been how Sharon, Purplefiend, did hers, but her machine is the 237 (I think), the zig-zag.

Mine is a Singer 237 zig zag and treadles beautifully, I sew the
treadle belt together with waxed dental floss.
Sharon

vintagemotif 04-22-2011 03:38 PM

This summer I plan to use all the attachments that I have collected from my Singers and also the Davis NVF. I have two quilts that I just need to finish before I can play with all the attachments. Once when wandering around blog land one night, I found this lady who had used all her vintage attachments. She sews her own vintage clothes and does a beautiful job too. Well after reading her blog, I thought that trying out all the attachments that I own would make an interesting project between quilting projects. Have fun!

Regarding that blog from the gal that did use all of her old attachments, did you happen to bookmark that site? I did recently buy the "Sewing Machine Attachment Handbook" by Charlene Phillips that I'm finding quite helpful, but just wondered if you had a link to the info that you read.

Thanks, :D

NO! :( That book sounds wonderful. I will need to look at that.

Here's one place you can find it; good price, too. :thumbup:

http://www.amazon.com/Sewing-Machine...3514641&sr=1-1

HTH,[/quote]

Thanks! I'm going to have to get this book. It looks very interesting.

vintagemotif 04-22-2011 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Well I did something I said I would never ever do. I purchased a machine off ebay. My latest is a Singer 328K, that I want to use in treadle. I like to finish off my bindings with a decorative stitch. I have been using my daughter's Threadbanger T-30 which can handle this type of work so far, but I have been worried about the machine being able to continue to handle this load since the machine has plastic parts. So, I have been on a hunt for a machine to use in treadle that has cams for decorative stitching. I do hope that this machine will work out well for what I wish to use it for.

Monica, what is wrong with the color? I think it is very pretty! Does that 328 have a space to attach a belt? It looks like maybe, but can't tell in the picture. Will you post pictures when you get 'Hank' in a treadle and let us know how well that works out! Congratulations, on your newest addition. I am excited to see how it works with that machine as a treadle.

Sharon is that the one you use in a treadle?

Nancy

Hank photographs better than he looks! My husband was surprised at the picture and commented that in the photo the top looks almost white when it's not at all. In my research, I found a could of blogs that showed the 328 in a treadle. The free manual online shows that it can be treadled. In front bottom right by the guide for the thread for the bobbin winding setup (hope that makes sense, sorry) is a plug that gets removed. All that is needed is the motor belt taken off, then the treadle belt is threaded through a back slot, up over the top wheel, and down through that front opening before stapling treadle belt (sewing the leather together with dental floss, like Sharon does). I think this must have been how Sharon, Purplefiend, did hers, but her machine is the 237 (I think), the zig-zag.

Mine is a Singer 237 zig zag and treadles beautifully, I sew the
treadle belt together with waxed dental floss.
Sharon

I like your dental floss technique. I used it on my 201 and that is my quietest treadle/machine that I own. From here on out, I will be using dental floss.

vintagemotif 04-22-2011 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

I always have fun looking through the bins with all the vintage quilts. I never buy any though, just have fun seeing the fabrics and patterns that were used.

Saw several SunBonnet Sues there - way pricey as were the double wedding rings. One of the DWR was just a top for $300 but beautifully made with gorgeous vintage fabric.

I bought a nice one a few weeks ago for $12.50. Keep looking!
People (i.e., dealers) think they are worth more if they are hand made. The truth is, I'd much rather have one machine pieced--they hold up longer and in general, the workmanship is better.
I will now go and wait for the Quilt Police to show up at my door.

Miz Johhny; I am with you. I'll also be waiting for the Quilt police at my door.
The pic is of a hand pieced top that was put together in the 30s or 40s but finally sandwiched and quilted about 2 years ago. The stitching was so fine, it was amazing to behold. The hand-pieced top in the resale shop was not so fine and the shop wanted more than $200. Colors are true in the picture. A lady bought it for $200 for just the top and have no idea how much the quilting cost her. The money ($200) went for charity so I consider it worth it.

That's a pretty quilt top. Thanks for posting.

MarieM 04-22-2011 03:49 PM

Post is not about machines but vintage quilt tops. I was surprised today poking about in a "vintage resale " shop. Came across some unfinshed quilt tops. One of them was old, ragged, stained and tattered but also $150 more than the other top there which was in much better shape. However, the old, tatterd top had been hand pieced and the other one was machine pieced which apparently made all the difference in the prices. While both were beautiful, the one with fewer condition issues is the one I'd have bought if I had been buying one. I assume this would also have applied to any tops machine pieced on a vintage treadle, too.

I always have fun looking through the bins with all the vintage quilts. I never buy any though, just have fun seeing the fabrics and patterns that were used.

I went to an acution last Saturday and bought a table of boxes for $4.00, it had assorted linens etc., that I thought would be fun. In one box was 2 quilt tops, both were machined pieced but I'm guessing from the fabric they were probably made in the 50's. I'm hoping that this fall I can quilt them.

chris_quilts 04-22-2011 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by MarieM
I went to an acution last Saturday and bought a table of boxes for $4.00, it had assorted linens etc., that I thought would be fun. In one box was 2 quilt tops, both were machined pieced but I'm guessing from the fabric they were probably made in the 50's. I'm hoping that this fall I can quilt them.

Lucky you!! Someday, I keep telling myself, someday. :lol:

chris_quilts 04-22-2011 04:18 PM

That's a pretty quilt top. Thanks for posting.

Thanks. It had been a wedding gift to a friend from her mom. She just kept it all those years and then donated it to the charity but wanted it finished before being donated. It was decidedly beyond my capabilities but I took it for "Show N Tell" to a women's group and that's when one of the ladies there bought it from me - unfinished. She had a group of "vintage" ladies do the finishing by hand. By "vintage," I mean that the least vintage one of that group of quilters is about 85 years young. I want to be referred to as vintage when I get to be that age versus being called old. Vintage just sounds sweeter.

qltndog 04-22-2011 04:35 PM

Billy, do you still have any hand cranks for the singer 99's. I know I saw somewhere on the board in Feb that you had some for sale. You also mentioned the other machines it would work on. I have been looking for a hand crank machine cause I don't have room for a treadle. Do the sewing machines need to have spoked wheel for your hand crank to work? Also, I noticed in the elec. 99's I've seen, that the ones in wood carrying cases looks like there is room for the hand crank but the newer ones don't have much room, so I'm assuming the cover will not fit once its changed to a hand crank. Before I buy a 99, want to make sure I can change it without spoked wheel. Thank you ahead for all your help and also to anyone else who reponds with info.
Joni