Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Annaquilts 08-13-2010 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by aardvarq

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
HELP!

Looking for a way to make a 1/4 inch seam with a 15-91 Singer.

I thought we bought 1/4 inch foot for a Singer 15-91 low shaft as it was sold to us as such but it definitely is not a 1/4 inch when on the Singer 15-91. How do I obtain a 1/4 inch for piecing? Or do I need to resort to tape? The foot was sold for both a low shaft Singer 66 treadle and an electric low shaft Singer 15-91. They are supposed to both use the same feet. Where we told wrong by the seller? It makes a wonderful 1/4 inch for the Singer 66 treadle. The foot attaches with no problem on the 15-91 but the needle hits too much to the left and even nicks onthe metal of the foot.

Anna,

Do you have a 'close call' contact with the needle using any other foot? If you did, it might indicate the needle bar or needle clamp is misaligned. If not, then humm, foot problem.

Good luck.

That was our first thought but it is exactly the same with another pristine 15k with the spoke wheel. I have no issues with other feet but those feet came with the electric 15 Singer. Also the needle bar hits the single tiny hole perfectly and it sews perfect.

Annaquilts 08-13-2010 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by jackkip
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=6603532

Ok, What is everyone's thoughts on the Spartan? Looks to be a cute little machine.

I have heard Spartans (99) are wonderful little machines and their price has not been driven up as much as the Feather Weight. I know of two people that prefer to piece on their Spartan over the Feather Weight. It is a 3/4 machine but I believe heavier then the Feather Weight. I am always keeping my eye out for a good deal on a Spartan. I don't own one yet though.

mlaceruby 08-13-2010 08:40 AM

this one says that runs but needle doesn't move
also has significant rusting
but it doesnt look that bad
mayjust needs a good cleaning oiling and a new belt?

Suzy 08-13-2010 11:50 AM

Nancy

Top of page 3 in the manual it states to turn the handwheel away from yourself, hopefully you are doing that? It's the first machine I've ever had to do that too. You probably know that already. I'm slowly getting through this forum, what fun it is to learn and see the great machines out there. I need to find needles and bobbins for my New Home as the previous owner must have tried wrong length needles and roughened up the bobbins and the bobbin case. It stitches pretty good considering the rough bobbins. Enjoy your machine.

Suzy

PunkQuilter 08-13-2010 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
Oh my gosh when the only photo of the machine is from the back it irritates me to no end.... I need some expert opinions please. This is on CL in my hood well 2 hours. The pictures have alot of glare but this looks like a wheeler and wilson 9 to me..what do you think? They were not ever motorized were they? If not how difficult is it to undo? One more thing...is 50 bucks worth it? I would like actually sew on it...not just dust it. Any input would be appreciated..pics below. I am not sure what it is. I am in super excited mode anyway because garage sales are starting in less than two hours! My DH teases me because I can spot a machine or cabinet from so far away...and not see the kayak I have to walk by to get to it!

It's a National Electric...can't find much out about it though. Didn't find anything at the garage sales either.... :-(

Weedwoman 08-13-2010 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by jackkip
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=6603532

Ok, What is everyone's thoughts on the Spartan? Looks to be a cute little machine.

I have heard Spartans (99) are wonderful little machines and their price has not been driven up as much as the Feather Weight. I know of two people that prefer to piece on their Spartan over the Feather Weight. It is a 3/4 machine but I believe heavier then the Feather Weight. I am always keeping my eye out for a good deal on a Spartan. I don't own one yet though.

I have a Spartan my cousin found at a garage sale for $5.00 & gave it to me. It's in perfect shape and sews great but is so heavy to lug around but they are a good little machine.

jackkip 08-13-2010 12:57 PM

Wow....Page 300 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Miz Johnny 08-13-2010 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by PunkQuilter
Oh my gosh when the only photo of the machine is from the back it irritates me to no end.... I need some expert opinions please. This is on CL in my hood well 2 hours. The pictures have alot of glare but this looks like a wheeler and wilson 9 to me..what do you think? They were not ever motorized were they? If not how difficult is it to undo? One more thing...is 50 bucks worth it? I would like actually sew on it...not just dust it. Any input would be appreciated..pics below. I am not sure what it is. I am in super excited mode anyway because garage sales are starting in less than two hours! My DH teases me because I can spot a machine or cabinet from so far away...and not see the kayak I have to walk by to get to it!

It's a National Rotary with a friction motor. The National Rotary is a nice machine to sew on; I have one in a treadle, but $50 for a machine with friction motor seems steep to me. I needed a cabinet for my National Two Spool, and the N. Rotary is the only one I've found with the same bed size, so I actually purchased for the treadle and cabinet. However, after using the Rotary, I decided I loved it, and kept it as well.

Miz Johnny 08-13-2010 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by mlaceruby
Look at this cutie!
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=6605373
if it wouldn't cost so much to ship I would bid on this one!

A word of caution on the old green Supers--they have a motor pulley which tends to go flat when they sit without use. When they do, they get the characteristic Greenie Growl. I have replaced one pulley (the one in my avatar), and I don't ever intend to do so again!! They are wonderful machines if taken care of, though.

Miz Johnny 08-13-2010 01:48 PM

Oh did you have to show me that. Drool......it is oh so nice green. I am a sucker for green machines.

I wonder is that bar a knee lifter? Does anyone know?

It's the controller--a portable with knee pedal instead of foot!!