Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Lostn51 04-28-2010 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by dsb38327
I don't collect, I just sit back in awe as Billy's brain works.

That makes two of us, I am in amazed that it still works after all of these years!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Billy

dsb38327 04-28-2010 04:59 AM

I blew this post!!!!! Sorry, I will try to do it again before I time out.

Lostn51 04-28-2010 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ohio Star Quilter
Hi Bill,
Thank you for setting this thread up, am enjoying reading this. I'm a new vintage sewing machine owner and will post pics later. Have a question about needlebar. I signed up on 4/20/10 and got a welcome email that said my account was currently inactive and that the admin had to approve me. I've heard nothing since. How long does it take to get approved? Hope it is ok that I asked you this here.
Thank you, Judy

Judy this is a new policy that Alan has in place to keep folks from stealing information and photos to use on eBay to sell machines that they do not have. Also we have had some of the information which is under copyright used in books without the proper consent and recognition. This is a way to weed out the "Non Collectors".

Billy

Quilt Mom 04-28-2010 05:14 AM

Question... What is a 'good price for a featherweight -
I just saw one listed on craigslist. but the individual wants $450 for it. It is in good condition, has all the feet, and the instruction book.

nena 04-28-2010 05:16 AM

Looks like a" Martha" to me . Nothing to do with Martha Stewart. That name just came to me when I saw her. Maybe her first owner was named Martha LOL

dsb38327 04-28-2010 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by dsb38327
I blew this post!!!!! Sorry, I will try to do it again before I time out.

canuckninepatch
you posted a photo of your beauty on page 6. I wanted to tell you how beautiful I think it is.

Lostn51 04-28-2010 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Question... What is a 'good price for a featherweight -
I just saw one listed on craigslist. but the individual wants $450 for it. It is in good condition, has all the feet, and the instruction book.

It all depends on your location, color, condition and what you are willing to pay. Some areas you can find FW's for around the $250 to $300 mark others you can hit $500 plus.

There is one in my area that I thought was way off but come to find out the cabinet for it is super rare (yes they can be in a cabinet) and the people wanted $2,050 for it and it is a good deal.

Personally I never give over $50 for a machine (with the exception of my Singer 12 MOP) but thats just me.

Billy

Charlee 04-28-2010 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by juneayerza
Hello Everyone,

I am very new to quilting and I'm teaching myself through online tutorials and books. I've seen a lot of you talking about using an old treddle machhine for your quilt tops. I have a treddle which was my late MIL's, but it needs a fair amount of restoration. Before I spend, can you please tell me the advantage of using the treddle and what kind of work you use it for.

Thanks All

June, compared to using, say, your Janome with all the bells and whistles? (just an example) There's no advantage. Not really. Your modern machine is going to be faster, and easier to use than the old treadle machine is. It does more of the work for you.

When you look at the advantages, modern machines have the old ones beat all to the devil....however, you can run your treadle machine when the power goes out! :)

Sewing on an old treadle machine brings on waves of nostalgia and a sense of accomplishment. You do have to work a little harder to make something, finish edges, even just to make the machine run! But they sew beautifully, they sound so cool, and the end result is that you produce something wonderful doing it the way your ancestors did. (I will say that the next time I need a gathered piece that I'll run to my treadle! She has a gathering foot that my Janome doesn't have, and it works wonderfully! )

I vote that you get the machine fixed!! :) Probably won't take nearly as much work as you think it will! ;)

Charlee 04-28-2010 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
There is one in my area that I thought was way off but come to find out the cabinet for it is super rare (yes they can be in a cabinet) and the people wanted $2,050 for it and it is a good deal.

Billy

Did we get spanked over that one or WHAT? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lostn51 04-28-2010 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Billy

Did we get spanked over that one or WHAT? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am thinking I might go look at it today or tomorrow. If it is in good condition I will flip it and make a few dollars.

Here is what one looks like if you have never seen one.....

[img]http://bnddesign.net/images/cherry/main.jpg[/img]

Billy