Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

purplefiend 05-12-2011 01:51 PM

Darcene,
That's such a sad end for such wonderful machines. Too bad people don't value old things like they used to. :cry: :shock:

sew wishful 05-12-2011 02:21 PM

I was in the antique mall yesterday and found a couple of machines....I walked away....a 15-91 who was beautiful in a super cabinet, but the price tag was $65...the cord had been damaged badly...I wouldn't even plug it in and try it.
The other was a beautiful blue "Modern" machine for $39 (no cabinet) but the cords on this were even worse...just crumbling when touched. I asked him to lower the price and I'd take them both, but he leases space to many vendors and as long as they pay rent he can't lower the prices. Understandable. I did tell him about the cords, and I'll stop back in a week or so and find out if the owner lowered the price. I can replace cords, but one of the cords went to the motor....that scares me. Might need a tutorial for that!!!
Like I need another machine....I have 12! Where would I put another??

Kitzone 05-12-2011 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose
No machine. It was the twin to my 128, but with a shiny finish instead of my blackside. Do 128s come with round bobbins? Mine has a shuttle, but the SA one didn't. Nice and clean and it seemed to move freely. I did buy a blonde cabinet for $1. Hope I can make it fit the 301. Did get a Pecan Cluster blizzard and took lunch to a young friend who had a 15 pound tumor removed from her breast. Apparently not malignant. Ouchy!!!

Interesting. All 5 of my 127/128 have long bobbin shuttles but my 66's have round. My blackside uses long bobbins too. The Pecan Cluster Blizzard sounds so good and I am sure your friend appreciated lunch. Sounds like you had a great day!

Judy

Glenn 05-12-2011 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by quiltdoctor

Originally Posted by Glenn
Jan what part of North Texas are you from. I was born in Decatur and went to North Texas U in Denton. Glenn

Granbury, south west of Ft Worth. It is growing so fast you wouldn't recognize the area.

Jan

I know exactly where you are and your so right, I did not even recognize my home town of Decatur when I went back. But what a great part of Texas that area is!!!

irishrose 05-12-2011 02:41 PM

If I remember correctly, the serial number EN02???. The dating site puts that as a 1958 246K which is a boxy overlock machine. EN002???? makes it a 128, which makes more sense. You know I'm going to have to go back and look, don't you? It's the size of my 128 with no decals, just a little trim and very shiny. Is a 99 that small?

Glenn 05-12-2011 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Darcene
A moment of silence please....I was on a fabric shopping mission today and I stopped in at a junk shop just to look around (yeah-I know that all of you knows what that really means). The shop was closed for lunch but look at what I found sitting outside....my heart just about stopped and I am telling myself that I did the right thing by leaving them where I found them....but, still.....what a senseless waste of four machines.....cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I would have gone back to get them, I could not stand to leave them. Glenn

mom-6 05-12-2011 03:02 PM

Well, folks, the bug got me too!
My BFF and I went shopping yesterday and I found a Singer treadle machine that seems to be in fairly good shape. Needs a belt and some cleaning, but moves easily top and bottom.
According to the Singer website it is a model 15k manufactured in Scotland in December 1947.
My phone doesn't seem to be saving my pictures. It's still in the bed of my truck awaiting being moved to my sewing room so the pictures were kind of wonky anyway.
Any further info on this machine would be most welcome!

HanNatNana 05-12-2011 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by chergram
hi I see all the great buys you guys find i did not get that great a deal but bought my feather weigh 221 for 80 dollars at a pawn shop had to replace bobbin winder it was broke off get bobbin belt power cord and belt pulley and had it oiled and stitch it works great now but in the end it cost me 258.00 but have always wanted one and told my children after i had bought the machine that could be my mothers day preset so they had it fixec for me am very happy with it but want to buy some extra bobbins for it can someone tell me where to buy thanks

I bought some Singer bobbins from Brubakers and even with postage to Australia they were much cheaper than I can buy here and they have a good reputation with one of the Janome groups. <brubakerssewing.com> or phone 1-800-466-7315 They are located in PA. Six bobbins cost $5.00 + postage, they also had larger quantities but I only wanted a few metal ones for the Singer 99 because living on the coast I find metal bobbins usually rust and for that reason I normally use plastic ones, which don't really seem right in the old girl!! LOL

As usual, I'm not affiliated in any way and only recommend sellers who've given good service.

Bronwyn ;-)

HanNatNana 05-12-2011 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by redkimba
I spotted this cartoon today & thought of this thread.

Love it!!! :lol:

Bronwyn ;-)

HanNatNana 05-12-2011 03:07 PM

Have to agree that's a very sad photo and am wondering how many times they end up like this and we don't know?

If the machines aren't salvageable, what about bits 'n pieces from them? I was thinking of badges/screws/bobbin winders/etc

Bronwyn :shock: