Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

SewExtremeSeams 05-19-2011 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by HanNatNana

Originally Posted by SewExtreme

Originally Posted by HanNatNana

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
...Or, would you recommend someone who wants to play around with two machines to make a make-shift longarm? :oops: :oops:

I'm not Billy but in the Brother PQ1500S group one of the ladies had her machine stretched so I'd say it could be done to vintage machines as well.

I'm on my way out to an appointment just now but will post photos later, if you want?

Bronwyn ;-)

:-D

PQ1500S is a 1500 stitches per minute, straight stitch (only) machine with pin feed, 9" harp and best of all for quilters, drop feed. It's commonly used on a quilting frame although I use mine on a sewing table at times when I feel the need for speed!!! I bought mine secondhand on eBay (with reservations) but would never part with it...what a fantastic machine!

They are being stretched by Rick of WOW Quilts, just googled and found is website along with a message about stretching Singer 201's.... <http://www.wowquilts.com/aboutus.htm> I got a quote from him to stretch mine but shipping to/from Australia was way too much...oh well!!! LOL

Here's a couple of photos, look along the top cover for an insert which is about the only visible evidence the machine is anything other than stock standard.

Billy and Glenn, would be interested to hear your thoughts too? I think (given the correct tools and workshop) this could be done easily, problem is I don't have this access these days. Oh well dreaming is free!!

Bronwyn
:mrgreen:

Wow, your machine is cool. It reminds me of the Juki TL98 which I guess has been updated to the Juki TL2010. I looked up the WoW website. How cool is that with their stretching of Singer 201 machines. Looks pretty reasonable ..IF... you live in the U.S. I can see where shipping to Australia must be pricey. Almost the cost of a vacation to the States! Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. We live in the West but shipping is reasonable. Thanks again, you have opened my options. :-D

SewExtremeSeams 05-19-2011 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by RUSewing
There is no one in my family or small circle of friends. I am fairly isolated, living in the country. I 'saved' the machines for their history and durability.

Hi Terry, I understand your situation also. I have a collection of vintage machines and plan to leave specific ones to specific grandchildren. With the rest, I plan to write out the history of them, how much I paid for them, when, where or whom I purchased them, etc.

My thought is that whomever takes them (in my family) can then decide for themselves or at least have the info if they want to sell them. That way my research and joy of each machine is not totally lost into thin air. And... just maybe... one of my grandchildren will take an interest that they don't have right now. Outlooks and sentiments change as we mature and I am trusting that goes for the future generations. Even a stranger that buys a vintage machine from one of mine can appreciate the info I have put together for them. An investment of history and my time... :-D

shnnn 05-19-2011 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by greenini
I'm in the market for a vintage machine to FMQ. I've looked at 301A, 15-91 and maybe a 66. I would like to pay under a $100 total including shipping, would love to pay a lot less, if possible :wink:

The things I've bid on have gone for maybe $150 including shipping.

What about a 15-90, instead of a 15-91 how much difference does the direct drive actually make. Those of you who have experience with all 3 machines what would you hunt for? Is it realistic to pay under $100? I see all the great thrift shop bargains and drool, but have cut our thrift shopping down, will probably increase it shortly, tho. I notice Goodwill itself in Rochester NY area has a lot of machine and will be there in the fall. I should probably wait till then but I'm getting itchy :)

I think a lot of it is purely preference. I like the direct drive simply because in my own mind it sounds more indestructable - although changing a belt would be much easier than replacing gears or bearings. The lady at the local sewing machine repair store told me that the belt driven machines are better. Both have been around and running for longer than I have been alive, so either is probably perfectly functional as long as you aren't planning to make saddles or something with it.
Here's something I didn't even consider though -- if you can, get the cabinet too!! In the boxes or cases they sit up a few inches off your table, and have a corner for your heavy layered quilt to catch on when quilting - urch. Then you have to drag the weight up over the edge of the box constantly.

Diamondrose 05-19-2011 09:57 AM

Can anyone give me any information or a source where I can find information on a Rodney Deluxe Dial-A-Matic Serial # TA145047, made in Japan. It is set up as a treadle in a parlor cabinet but it has a built in light that showed no obvious electrical connection to it that I could see.

Would appreciate any input I can get.

Thank you

chris_quilts 05-19-2011 10:11 AM

I know this has been answered before in this thread but could not find it so I'll ask again. Is the 15-90 the potted motor or is it the 15-91 that has the potted motor? I have 2 15s - one with a belt and one with a potted motor so just want to know. I'll write down the answer this time. Thanks in advance ~ Chris

Darcene 05-19-2011 10:14 AM

[quote=greenini]I'm in the market for a vintage machine to FMQ. I've looked at 301A, 15-91 and maybe a 66. I would like to pay under a $100 total including shipping, would love to pay a lot less, if possible :wink:

Hold on just another day - maybe less....I am working my way through my collection and I know that there are a couple of 15-90s in the mix....the machines have taken over my work space and I am having trouble finding room to sew....time to clear some space....

Darcene 05-19-2011 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
I know this has been answered before in this thread but could not find it so I'll ask again. Is the 15-90 the potted motor or is it the 15-91 that has the potted motor? I have 2 15s - one with a belt and one with a potted motor so just want to know. I'll write down the answer this time. Thanks in advance ~ Chris

15-91 is potted motor and 15-90 is belt drive... :-)

mpeters1200 05-19-2011 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Darcene

Now I haven't been able to read through all of the first 900 pages, but I have no idea the difference. My 66 has a motor and a belt. So does one only have a motor and the other only a belt? Is the belt one treadle only? Sorry for elementary questions....I just don't know. Potted motors? Were those added later to transfer a treadle machine to electric power?

SewExtremeSeams 05-19-2011 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200

Originally Posted by Darcene

Now I haven't been able to read through all of the first 900 pages,

Aren't you glad there isn't a test? LOL

I have the same questions, so glad you are asking. However, my questions are due to lack of a good memory. LOL Looking forward to the answers.

:-D

greenini 05-19-2011 11:17 AM

Darcene, I'm not quite *that* itchy :lol: :lol: , take your time. I *was* a bit miffed that the machine I bid 11.01 for on the Goodwill site went off for about $2 more, but it was a "don't know if this works at all " special. I figured for that kind of $ I could take a flyer and was convinced it was mine...oh, well.

My understanding is that potted, ie direct drive motors were an original thing: they came from the factory like like. The ones with the lower motor and belt drive might be an addition to a treadle, but they also came from the factory like that. I don't know for sure tho and if I'm wrong, please fill me in!