Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 05-19-2011 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Your "Anne" is lovely. Glad to see you back..I was used to reading your posts when I was a total new person. Nice to hear from you now!

Thanks Jane (and everyone!) :)

Charlee, I agree! I was very excited to see you are back!

Nancy

BoJangles 05-19-2011 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos
Ok, here's the pics of the Domestic...

Love the Domestic! What a great husband you have!

Nancy

shnnn 05-19-2011 05:40 AM

Thank you Nancy - I did do the piecing, and I am slowly quiliting it.
Both my 15-91 and my Necchi are much smaller than the opening in this cabinet, and only have one hole for the hinge pins?

Charlee 05-19-2011 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by shnnn
OK - so I found a sewing machine cabinet at the thrift store, and since cabinets are harder to have shipped than machines I bought it even though it didn't fit any of my machines. So now, I'm wondering what will fit in my new cabinet :) It has a Sears badge inside of it, and the opening is about 7.5"x16.5" and there are 2 pairs of hinge pins. Any ideas?

Kenmore. And they tend to have a larger base than other machines, so it's hard to get a good fit it you want to put anything else in it.

Charlee 05-19-2011 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Your "Anne" is lovely. Glad to see you back..I was used to reading your posts when I was a total new person. Nice to hear from you now!

Thanks Jane (and everyone!) :)

Charlee, I agree! I was very excited to see you are back!

Nancy

:) Thanks so much!! I've been watching, just haven't had a lot of time to post, and to be honest, shouldn't be now!! I have some things I HAVE to get done! LOL

shnnn 05-19-2011 06:27 AM

Kenmore. And they tend to have a larger base than other machines, so it's hard to get a good fit it you want to put anything else in it.

That's what I was thinking. What is a good Kenmore model with decorative stitches to look for?

BoJangles 05-19-2011 06:34 AM

:) Thanks so much!! I've been watching, just haven't had a lot of time to post, and to be honest, shouldn't be now!! I have some things I HAVE to get done! LOL

Charlee, I know! I try to get on here first thing in the morning then I try to stay off the rest of the day! This shop is so addicting that I have to limit my time here otherwise I get nothing done!

Nancy

BoJangles 05-19-2011 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Elsie Blight
Can any one help l have friends who have a Weltheim sewing machine with a boat shuttle and we cannot get the machine to pick up the thread we do not have a book either l have pictures of the shuttle and machine we don't know any thing about it can you please help we also have lots of feet we don't know what they are
Thank you
Elsie Blight
South Australia

Elsie that is a beautiful machine! I can't help with the boat shuttle -- I don't have one of those yet!

Nancy

RUSewing 05-19-2011 06:37 AM

Help needed with a dilemma. DH and I are planning our Will. Sadly none of my children or DILs sew or appreciate vintage machines, what would you with them? (My sewing stash will go to a children's charity.)

Lostn51 05-19-2011 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Billy, this might seem like a ridiculous question but I thought that some place I read about someone taking two vintage machines and making the right cuts, etc. to make a longarm machine out of it. Have you ever heard of that? Or, would you recommend someone who wants to play around with two machines to make a make-shift longarm? :oops: :oops:

Just one and they used a Japanese 15! I have the article on how to do it and I was working on my version of the machine when I got side tracked and put it away. It is pretty easy to do if you have a access to a machine shop or have metal working skills.

Billy

Hmmm... we're interested if you can point us in the right direction, please. Thanks Billy. :-D

I don't think we would use any of the vintage machines we already have but may wait to buy a couple for low prices and experiment. My DH said he thinks he can do that.

The instructions that I have uses a piece of schedule 80 pipe for the arm extension. I took my arm and turned down the ends .030 and lined bored the case of the machine so I could slip it into the case of the machine and everything would line up better. But you have to have a rod the same diameter of the races of the machine so you can align the front and the rear of the machine. That is super critical because if it is off then the shaft that goes inside the arm (you have to extend that also) will not fit.

It is harder than it looks but since I fabricate a lot of things when I build streetrods its fairly easy for me. Plus I have a lot of the tools needed like drill presses, welders, sheet metal tools and a Bridgeport in the garage.

Billy