Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Miz Johnny 10-15-2010 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Here's an update of my previous posting.
I have been sewing with my new treadle cabinet all evening, its a joy to sew with , no annoying clanking. :-D
I have a metal straight leg Singer treadle cabinet and it clanks. I've tried adjusting it and it doesn't help.
:(

I have a parlor cabinet that clanks as well. The wheel rubs. I'm not strong enough to get the nut loose to see if I can move it.

redpurselady 10-15-2010 12:30 PM

Fellow treadle users - does the treadle base (not the actual machine) need any type of maintenance? I'm new to treadling but hope to catch up as soon as Billy services my "Cleo".

vintagemotif 10-15-2010 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by Lostn51
I did notice it had a bobbin winder on the machine also. I wonder if it was an option for the two spool.....

Billy

The "bobbin' winder is for winding thread from one spool onto the spool that is used in the spool case (can). If you only have one spool of thread (huge spool), you can wind some of the thread onto the spool that is used in the can. I like the fact that I will not have to wind bobbins, instead it is a spool.

I remember you saying that you hoped to treadle your Two Spool. Just wanted to let you know that the only treadle cabinet I've found that is the same bed size as the Two Spool is the National Rotary.

Yes, I noticed that it will not fit the Singer cabinet that I have. I was planning on building a lip for it to sit on; like the lip in the front that the machine heads rest on. Or just a new top for it. Thanks for the heads up.

vintagemotif 10-15-2010 04:18 PM

I've found that is the same bed size as the Two Spool is the National Rotary.

Miz Johnny,
Do you own a Two Spools? Do know what needle fits this machine. The manual that I found states to only use stamped Eldredge Two Spool needle. But I was wondering if a Schmetz universal 15x1 will work.
Thanks!

Quilt Mom 10-15-2010 06:47 PM

All the talk about a return to the two spool technology is great! But what spool size would the manufacturer use? There are so many available. (Thinking about that, would it really be a machine to last through time, like the old ones? It seems every machine recently made has plastic and/or computerized parts.) If you have to wind the thread from one spool onto another to use in the can, it sounds like the second spool is only a glorified bobbin.

vintagemotif 10-15-2010 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
All the talk about a return to the two spool technology is great! But what spool size would the manufacturer use? There are so many available. (Thinking about that, would it really be a machine to last through time, like the old ones? It seems every machine recently made has plastic and/or computerized parts.) If you have to wind the thread from one spool onto another to use in the can, it sounds like the second spool is only a glorified bobbin.

You have to wind a bobbin now as it is; so, would it not be better to have the option of having a bobbin that can hold more thread. I would love to have a bobbin that could hold more since I already use a huge spool of thread for the top thread, and then I wouldn't have to stop as often to fill a new bobbin. The manufacturer could make a larger standard spool (bobbin). Why the need for just a small bobbin?. As to the longevity of the machine, that is irrelevant to this issue.

purplefiend 10-15-2010 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by cherrybsixty

Originally Posted by purplefiend
Billy,
I'm having trouble loosening the handwheel to wind a bobbin on my 237; no clue how it got so tight; even DH can't get it loose. I use a "sidewinder" to wind my bobbins.
Sharon W.

Purplefiend, that happens with my 401A, I ask Billy a week ago about that and he suggest the "hand dryer," to it. Or a drop of kerosene and running it. He stated it gets gummed-up.

Thank you I'll give that a try. Otherwise I'm happy with my 237.

Miz Johnny 10-15-2010 07:41 PM

Miz Johnny,
Do you own a Two Spools? Do know what needle fits this machine. The manual that I found states to only use stamped Eldredge Two Spool needle. But I was wondering if a Schmetz universal 15x1 will work.
Thanks!

I have a Two Spool (though I haven't used it). It takes a 15 x 1 needle.
I just unearthed my Two Spool, National Rotary, Singer VS 1, and National-made "Iowa" tonight--after a long stretch of being buried under "stuff". I had shoved them off in a corner of a small basement room while I finished a larger one to use as a sewing room. Then one thing led to another. . . . .

Miz Johnny 10-15-2010 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom

The Two Spool used the smaller-sized wooden spool of thread, which was readily available. If you chose to use a larger spool, an empty one could be wound for the bobbin. Though they are no longer made (as far as I know), they are still easy to find, so no problem finding them for your TS.

vintagemotif 10-15-2010 07:56 PM

Miz Johnny,
Thanks!

I have a Two Spool (though I haven't used it). It takes a 15 x 1 needle.
I just unearthed my Two Spool, National Rotary, Singer VS 1, and National-made "Iowa" tonight--after a long stretch of being buried under "stuff". I had shoved them off in a corner of a small basement room while I finished a larger one to use as a sewing room. Then one thing led to another. . . . .

Thanks! Glad they take a 15x1. :) You have some interesting machines to use. My machine came with one wooden spool, a free treadle that I picked up came with another spool the same size, and someone suggested looking for additional wooden spools that same size at Michaels.
Thank you again!