Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

PJisChaos 05-19-2011 12:48 PM

argh! It is so frustrating when you call a company looking for info and even they can't tell you anything.

Just got off the phone with Husqvarna/Viking/White Company about my Domestic. She said it is too old and they don't have any way to look it up due to it being made in Japan. All she can guess-timate is it was made prolly mid to late 60s.

Well, I figured that just by googling 1965 sewing machines and each year after, up to 1970. It looks to be in that eras styling. Ah well, I now know more about "Dory" than I do my New Automatic treadle.

I am just grateful it works!! I haven't cleaned her up yet, don't think she actually needs much deep cleaning. I still see very little sign of actual use on her as well. She does sound a bit clunky but this is prolly just cuz I am used to the way my treadle sounds and I am sure it needs good oiling.

It has been over a month since I used any of the machines in the studio! I am lost in these old girls.

jljack 05-19-2011 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Glenn

Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
I have a question of my 99... it is from 1924, and I don't see the stitch lever on mine. Did they not have stitch lengths back then?? I have a picture to post for you to see.

Rose, the knob just above the badge is the stitch length adjust, screw it clockwise(in) for longer stitch and counterclockwise to make stitch smaller Glenn

Thanks for that, Glenn. My 1928 99 is the same, and I was going to eventually ask that same question!! :-)

jljack 05-19-2011 01:12 PM

The locking hardware looks good but do need some wood and veneer repair. The left plate has been broken and needs to be replaced. Now where to find one is another thing. I will do some research and see what I can find. Billy may have a source. The top is okay except for the wood repairs. I have seen empty cases for sale on Ebay. Let me seed what I can do. Glenn
Thanks a bunch Glenn. I was thinking if all else fails, I can have latch type closures put on it.

Sharon

I don't have a key for my bentwood case for my 1928 99, and I was thinking of putting those latch type closers on mine. I am a little leery of trying to pick up that heavy machine by the handle of the case. I'm afraid it will break the original locks! Those little machines are like lead weights!! :-)

chris_quilts 05-19-2011 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by emmah
The Singer 99 takes a regular class 66 bobbin.
To wind the bobbin on the older 99's

Emmah, Thanks so much for the information. Mine is a 1924 model so it doesn't have the thread winder dohickey so your info is truly priceless. I hope to have time to play with her later.
As to carrying her by the top handle, I understand that was intended just to lift the top off and not to carry the machine. I do carry mine by the bottom and fuss at DH when he tries to carry it by the handle.

chris_quilts 05-19-2011 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by jljack

Originally Posted by Glenn

I have a question of my 99... it is from 1924, and I don't see the stitch lever on mine. Did they not have stitch lengths back then?? I have a picture to post for you to see.

Rose, the knob just above the badge is the stitch length adjust, screw it clockwise(in) for longer stitch and counterclockwise to make stitch smaller Glenn

Thanks for that, Glenn. My 1928 99 is the same, and I was going to eventually ask that same question!! :-)

Glenn; Thanks for that information - I also needed that.

jljack 05-19-2011 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos
@Glenn & JaneK
Thanks, I was wondering what it was. Now to figure out how to use it. LoL! This is so much fun. ;-)

The best part of this whole thing is she only cost me $2! yep, 2 bucks. :thumbup:

Nice machine, PJ. I wish I could help with that bobbin winder, but I am not familiar with any of those machines. Good luck!!

SewExtremeSeams 05-19-2011 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Deara
Here is our latest machine.

We acquired the machine (hubby traded one of his swords for it) one weekend and the table (he traded an antique pistol) the following weekend at two different locations, both were at outdoor antique fairs.

I was looking for cams for my 500A Rocketeer at the first antique fair. I found nearly all the ones I needed and a professional buttonholer for the Rocketeer.

Hubby spied the 301. It needed a few parts but hubby didn't have much into the sword so we got a good deal.
We have replaced the needle plate, the bottom cover with the felt pad & screw, a complete hook assembly and a bobbin case.

The last part came today and then I attempted to put the hook assembly in and I knew it had to go in a certain way. Oh, I had to replace a gib screw for the gib which is part of the hook assembly. The man I purchased the gib screw from deals with Featherweights and 301s. I just called him and asked him if he would talk me through putting the hook assembly in. First time the needle hit, so I knew I hadn't seated the assembly correctly on the shaft. The second time, it went on like it was suppose to. I must admit I did say a prayer the second time before putting it back on.

I haven't named her yet. All I know is that this machine was the dirtiest machine I have ever cleaned. Must have belonged to a smoker, but once the tar and nicotine was off she shined up nice.

For now she sits in our living room ready to sew, near the Rocketeer and some of the other machines we have. It's getting crowded in here and we just rearranged the living room to accomodate the Rocketeer. lol

Love your machines Deara. I just saw a Rocketeer in Seattle on craigslist. Maybe I should look at it when we travel over there. :-D

jljack 05-19-2011 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Elsie Blight
Can any one help l have friends who have a Weltheim sewing machine with a boat shuttle and we cannot get the machine to pick up the thread we do not have a book either l have pictures of the shuttle and machine we don't know any thing about it can you please help we also have lots of feet we don't know what they are
Thank you
Elsie Blight
South Australia

Awsome machine, Elsie!! I don't know anything about it, and can't answer even one of your questions, but I love the machine!! :thumbup:

jljack 05-19-2011 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by Charlee
Your "Anne" is lovely. Glad to see you back..I was used to reading your posts when I was a total new person. Nice to hear from you now!

Thanks Jane (and everyone!) :)

Charlee, I agree! I was very excited to see you are back!

Nancy

Me Too!!! You always have a lot to contribute, and we missed your smiling face!! :-)

jljack 05-19-2011 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by RUSewing
Help needed with a dilemma. DH and I are planning our Will. Sadly none of my children or DILs sew or appreciate vintage machines, what would you with them? (My sewing stash will go to a children's charity.)

Well, if you belong to any sewing group you could will your machines to them to be auctioned off and the proceeds go to the group. That's what a member of our guild did, and when she passed away her 3 machines were auctioned, and the money went for materials for our charity quilts. It was great...many hundreds of $$ made to provide materials.

Just a suggestion!! :-)