Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 06-13-2011 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by lee231
beaniekins

The singer in the last photo looks just like the one I picked up this weekend at a flea market. If it is, it's a 127 built 1902-1904. That one's decals and finish are great shape compared to the one I got. I only got the head.

That must be the same cabinet mine was in, I got 2 of the drawer pulls exactly like those in a box of stuff.

Just a note to help us all, the Singer in the last photo is actually a model 27. You can tell by the bobbin winder. The bobbin winder low on the machine is a 27, the bobbin winder up high next to the hand wheel is a 127.

Nancy

BoJangles 06-13-2011 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Nancy, I recently saw the reproduction hand cranks for sale on eBay, but listed as Made in China. I am not inclined to get one of those, but just for information sake, are they any good?

I don't know, as I got my HC from Billy. The thing about the made in China ones is that they have a little kinda wierd decal and say made in China. Someone on here got one, Sharon was it you, and they liked it - I think?

Nancy

BoJangles 06-13-2011 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Honchey
Attention Sewing Machine Guru's. I picked this Brother sewing machine yesterday for $10. It's a Bradford 1641 model..I went to the Brother site and cannot locate the year it was built. I sews really quiet..has a few cams(pictured . The needle only sews to the far left..When I move the screws for the zig zag it sews the stitch but I can't figure out how to get the neeedle to sew in the center position. Is it only supposed to sew to the left?? Help!

Honchey have you tried every switch, knob on that machine to get the needle back in the middle? Have you oiled it really well and cleaned it up in case it is just stuck with crud in the zig of the zag? I have a little Kenmore we got at a flea market for $5 that has the needle stuck in the right hand position. My DH took the machine apart and there is a rod that is suppose to switch the needle back when it is not in the zig zag mode that is not working. I don't want to take the machine in to a repair man so I will probably just live with it, but it bugs me. This machine has a zig zag also that does not work. It is stuck in the zig of the zag all the time. It sews really nice and has reverse so I thought I'd keep it for my 2 year old grandson to use, but it really bugs me that it stays in the zig and won't go back to center.

Nancy

jljack 06-13-2011 08:50 PM

[quote=BoJangles
I bought a hand crank repro from Billy for my 99 and I love it!

Nancy[/quote]

Thanks, Nancy, for the info. Billy already told me about his hc's, and I will buy from him as soon as I have $$ again!!

vintagemotif 06-13-2011 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Ok here is Kathie's newest family member. When she first told me she got a Franklin sold by Sears I thought it was one of the White badged Franklin's, but it is not! The Franklin is probably made by Davis - who was the sole supplier of sewing machines to Sears until 1912. In 1911 the Franklin was introduced with an elaborate Egyptian type decal, an exact imitation of Singer's 27/127.

Kathie, Your Franklin is gorgeous!

vintagemotif 06-13-2011 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy,
How is your Two Spools? I hope you got it all worked out.
These are fun machines to sew with. Enjoy!

Ok, I am piecing the borders on a Quilt as You Go quilt right now with Annie Oakley Two Spools. I had already pieced the quilt blocks with my Free treadle, quilted the blocks with my 15-88 treadle, so now the Two Spools is piecing the borders! I love that machine, she sew so nice. I am finding Annie Oakley Two Spools much easier to piece with than the Free because the feed dogs on her are soooo long that the fabric doesn't have a tendency to pull sideways like it does with machines that have uneven feed dogs like the Free treadle. I am so glad I got this treadle to add to my collection!

Nancy

I'm so excited for you! I love piecing with mine and happy to read that you are enjoying yours.

miriam 06-14-2011 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by beaniekins
I'm glad you're OK, Billy. A snakebite? That's terrifying! And sorry that your daughter's house had to come down.

So, I found out that in addition to the 401(?) that this lady is selling, she also has an older Singer and an older White Rotary. They all look very dusty, but the decals appear to be in quite good condition. The cabinet for the 401 seems to be in the roughest shape of all of them. I can't go and get them until the 30th though. I hope I can wait that long and that she doesn't sell them to someone else in the meantime!

Ok, I'd have to get all three of those machines! The 401 is a great machine for using decorative stitches if you get the cams - you don't need the cabinet for it to sit flat on the table. The White Rotary is really a pretty machine - could be cleaned up really nice. The Singer 27 looks really great too!

Nancy

Nancy, that has a good variety of built in stitches if the stitch selector works - you do have to take time to figure out the system

RUSewing 06-14-2011 03:32 AM

no1Jan, that is a gorgeous machine! I do not understand anyone not appreciating the beauty, history and durability of he vintage machines!

Glenn. I also love the sound, rhythm they make!

cherrybsixty 06-14-2011 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Nancy,
How is your Two Spools? I hope you got it all worked out.
These are fun machines to sew with. Enjoy!

Ok, I am piecing the borders on a Quilt as You Go quilt right now with Annie Oakley Two Spools. I had already pieced the quilt blocks with my Free treadle, quilted the blocks with my 15-88 treadle, so now the Two Spools is piecing the borders! I love that machine, she sew so nice. I am finding Annie Oakley Two Spools much easier to piece with than the Free because the feed dogs on her are soooo long that the fabric doesn't have a tendency to pull sideways like it does with machines that have uneven feed dogs like the Free treadle. I am so glad I got this treadle to add to my collection!

Nancy

Nancy, I think it is sew neat that you use all of your treadle-girls and boy for all phase if your quilting. And you have mention of the uneven feed dog before, and I was wondering if that can also take place in the 401A? I started to discuss that matter with my OSG and change my mind. Sometime those guy's like to act like (car mechanics), like you don't know what you are talking about. That's why I like lurking around the VMS. And once again your DH did a beautiful job on your cabinet for Ms Davis. It makes me think of 'Betty Davis' eyes.'

lee231 06-14-2011 04:33 AM

Nancy, your right I got a case of CRS, it is a 27. Mine is in such rough shape, I think it's a parts machine or shelf queen. Will give it the spa treatment and maybe repaint later.