Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

cherrybsixty 06-16-2011 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51

Originally Posted by Darcene
It would appear that our dear Billy's recent encounter with a copperhead has affected his mind....oh well, since we all love him so much, let's see if we can help him out with his latest venture....I would offer to help but I am just a little bit too far out of his way...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130418-1.htm

LOL Darcene I will be headed your way in April on my East/West coast ride!

Funny how my wife said the same thing that you did........... :roll:

Billy

Girls, seem to think like that, it's called nuturing, but, I say enjoy your ride and let you hair down and let the wind blow through the strands. You have had a year and it just started. You know that you are covered with the protection. Make some good connection.
Girls, just seem to think like t

miriam 06-16-2011 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos
I pasted this from my other thread("My CraigsList Haul" ) as I thought this would be a better place to ask.

Ok, now I have a real dilemma here. Help!
She is offering me a chance to buy the longarm too, on payments even. She wants $3000 for it but I have no clue on LAs, is this a fair price? Her mom paid $2500 for it when she bought it.

From what I could see of it, it is a Singer Industrial model with the table. From comparing it to pics on google search, it looks similar to a 15-91 model. Were these models made industrial sized? The head is huge!, not like my 27 I have. The head has Singer and Industrial stamped on it but can't get the serial number off it til tomorrow, when I go back to help clear more stuff and get first dibs on any fabric I want.

Anyone here know about these things??

I have had several industrial machines. They are mainly set for speed and yes they look big. I have a consew walking foot I used when I had a business building tents. It is built for going through heavy stuff and for speed. I have not quilted on the industrial machines. Well just pieced some jeans - but my Singer 403 goes through that little bit anyway and the motor doesn't run all day. I think I posted a place to get manuals for the industrial machines for free. If you can find that page - that would make a pretty good list of vintage industrial machines. I looked for it in my on files and can't find it - it's on this section though. I'm thinking a 15-91 and should be fairly inexpensive - it has a potted motor on the back of the head it is not industrial but it is strong enough for quilting. An industrial machine will have a motor under the table top - those are truly a power tool. Check out sewclassic blog - she has info comparing the 201 and the 15-91. If you like you can pm and I'll try to answer any ??

vintagemotif 06-16-2011 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
Im hoping someone can give me some information about this Kenmore. I looked on the internet and I got years from the 30's to the 50's. The seriel # is 270003, and the model # is 117-552. An old neighbor gave this to me. Any information would be appriciated. Also I have no attachments or the book for it, only the foot that is on it. Any ideas where I can get them?

Try shopgoodwill.com. I thought I saw Kenmore attachments recently on that site. Don't know if it is for this machine or not, but I do know that I have seen attachments for Kenmores there.

vintagemotif 06-16-2011 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend

Originally Posted by Mollie'sMom

Originally Posted by purplefiend

She is a Westie and we have two other Westies. They are wonderful little dogs

Annie, my Westie was a stray, I didn't realize what breed she was until she gained some weight and her fur started growing in thicker. She weighed about 10 lbs and was very skinny, course she had lots of fleas. She thinks she's the alpha dog...
the bigger dogs tell her otherwise.
Thanks for answering my question. :lol:
Sharon W.

Thanks for rescuing her. I don't know how long you have had her, but she will be your best bud. She will remember that you came to her rescue.

Annie has been here since 2007, she is a sweetie and loves to cuddle. She earns her kibble by helping the other 3 dogs keep our acre free of rabbits and voles, she even likes the occasional grasshopper.

Sharon, your dog is so cute!

vintagemotif 06-16-2011 07:27 PM

Oh here is a place for us to document our machines, a place where we can post photos and the pertinent information about them. Like the serial, make, model, etc. We can still discuss them over here in the shop but I want a place so we can build a data base of machines so we can identify ones that we score down the road.

Here is the link......

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-1.htm

Billy

If this is the case it would take me a while to list and put up pics. of all my babies.

Thats okay It will take a while for me to do mine also.

But if anyone wants to post photos of their machines feel free to include some close ups of certain areas of interest. Anything that can help us identify the different makers like Free, National, Domestic, and other manufacturers that have similar features.

Billy

I like this idea! Billy, Thank you for starting a file of machines to help identify thread and also starting this wonderful thread. Everyone here is very friendly and helpful!

irishrose 06-16-2011 08:03 PM

Stay off Craigslist!
Lotus coffin top $175
Davis Honeymoon $300
401 $125
Eldridge Two Spools in a beautiful cabinet and with pretty decals for $100
15? in a coffin top $100
15? in a beautiful cabinet $150 - this one may have been a treadle
My favorite - A Rocketeer in a cabinet for $100.

HanNatNana 06-16-2011 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by miriam

Originally Posted by HanNatNana

Well, my sister just left town. While she was here we found a Bernina 530-2 in a mostly all there cabinet. I have never seen a Bernina in my life. It appears in good cosmetic shape and it turns. It has a whole bunch of weird feet. The stitch dial doesn't do much and the built in knee control doesn't move very far. I have yet to clean it up. I've had to catch up on regular work and hope to get something done on the machine over the week end. There is a manual - pretty small print... I'm thinking enlarge on the copy machine... The power does not go on when it is plugged in - no power at all. Is there some way to clean the contacts? Any info would help.

It is called a Record - the stitch selector doesn't move, the zig zag knob doesn't move and there is no power - I wonder if it could be hard wired. I oiled it up so I may try a little heat in a couple days and see if anything moves. I searched on line for info but I'm thinking someone who actually has one might know more than I'm finding. It does zig zag and straight but the part with all the nice stitches doesn't budge.

Miriam, have you joined the Bernina Yahoo group? BerninaThirtySomethings

Also this Pattern Review thread has a link to download the manual, that might help too?
Is there anyone know about BERNINA RECORD 530-1?

Sorry you'll have to search for both as the links continually gave error messages when trying to send them.

If you still have questions ask again and I'll try and dig back through my archive (some people call theirs a brain!!) as I used to own a 730 Record many years ago.

Good luck with your search.
Bronwyn ;-)

Thanks - I did join the yahoo group but I didn't really find much out there. It appears to be a very nice machine if I can make it work. It is not very used. It is called Bernina Record 530-2 it has a free arm - things just pop off to clean and it wasn't very dirty and it is very clean now... I wonder if heat would hurt it any? There seems to be a plastic gear in there.

My Bernina 730 was very accessible, the top opens and the free arm cover pops off which makes it easy to clean and check everything. Not sure if you need any parts but there is a parts machine on ebay.com and another complete machine as well, both are in Canada with shipping to the US.

Yes, there are several nylon gears as you've discovered so I don't think they would like too much heat, then again nothing ever went wrong with my Bernina so I didn't need to do anything other than regular maintenance...should have kept that machine as it was a fairly high speed machine. When you want to do other than a straight stitch, you need to slide the 1-15 (?) switch as well as select the stitch you want. Automatic buttonholes need the zigzag lever pulled down, then it moves between those two tiny brass stops. The knee lever was to raise the presser foot when doing freehand embroidery.

One of the ebay machines has lots of photos, not sure if they will help? At least they might be a good reference guide.

Hope some of this helps?
Bronwyn ;-)

BoJangles 06-16-2011 08:19 PM

Billy I love the new photo shop, I just hope it stays a photo shop! It would be nice if people use it only to post pictures and descriptions. If everyone starts commenting on the machines in the photo shop, it will become just like this side!

Nancy

purplefiend 06-16-2011 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by HanNatNana

Well, my sister just left town. While she was here we found a Bernina 530-2 in a mostly all there cabinet. I have never seen a Bernina in my life. It appears in good cosmetic shape and it turns. It has a whole bunch of weird feet. The stitch dial doesn't do much and the built in knee control doesn't move very far. I have yet to clean it up. I've had to catch up on regular work and hope to get something done on the machine over the week end. There is a manual - pretty small print... I'm thinking enlarge on the copy machine... The power does not go on when it is plugged in - no power at all. Is there some way to clean the contacts? Any info would help.

It is called a Record - the stitch selector doesn't move, the zig zag knob doesn't move and there is no power - I wonder if it could be hard wired. I oiled it up so I may try a little heat in a couple days and see if anything moves. I searched on line for info but I'm thinking someone who actually has one might know more than I'm finding. It does zig zag and straight but the part with all the nice stitches doesn't budge.

Miriam, have you joined the Bernina Yahoo group? BerninaThirtySomethings

Also this Pattern Review thread has a link to download the manual, that might help too?
Is there anyone know about BERNINA RECORD 530-1?

Sorry you'll have to search for both as the links continually gave error messages when trying to send them.

If you still have questions ask again and I'll try and dig back through my archive (some people call theirs a brain!!) as I used to own a 730 Record many years ago.

Good luck with your search.
Bronwyn ;-)

Thanks - I did join the yahoo group but I didn't really find much out there. It appears to be a very nice machine if I can make it work. It is not very used. It is called Bernina Record 530-2 it has a free arm - things just pop off to clean and it wasn't very dirty and it is very clean now... I wonder if heat would hurt it any? There seems to be a plastic gear in there.

My daughter had a 730 record for about 4 years, she loved it. Before I bought it from the local Bernina dealer, the tech had to change out the nylon gear in the top of the machine. Every place that you see a drop of red paint, is an oil point, just 1 drop of oil in each spot.
She sold it to a friend and its still being used.
Sharon W.

HanNatNana 06-16-2011 08:42 PM

My daughter had a 730 record for about 4 years, she loved it. Before I bought it from the local Bernina dealer, the tech had to change out the nylon gear in the top of the machine. Every place that you see a drop of red paint, is an oil point, just 1 drop of oil in each spot.
She sold it to a friend and its still being used.
Sharon W.[/quote]

That's right Sharon......I had forgotten about the red paint spots, thanks for jolting my memory. The oil bottle had a long metal tip so you could reach every red spot. I bought my 730 brand new in May 1971.

Bronwyn ;-)