Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

BoJangles 06-17-2011 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by amBoo
Hi

I'm not sure if this picture will come through. If it does, can anyone tell me what model this might be and if the cord is a replacement?

Thanks!
Nancy

Nancy that machine is a 128 with La Vincendora decals. Very pretty machine! The cord is probably not original. I have seen old irons with that cord but not sewing machines. If the cord is fine, it doesn't matter. If you need a replacement, repair shops carry them.

Nancy

BoJangles 06-17-2011 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos
I pasted this from my other thread("My CraigsList Haul" ) as I thought this would be a better place to ask.

Ok, now I have a real dilemma here. Help!
She is offering me a chance to buy the longarm too, on payments even. She wants $3000 for it but I have no clue on LAs, is this a fair price? Her mom paid $2500 for it when she bought it.

From what I could see of it, it is a Singer Industrial model with the table. From comparing it to pics on google search, it looks similar to a 15-91 model. Were these models made industrial sized? The head is huge!, not like my 27 I have. The head has Singer and Industrial stamped on it but can't get the serial number off it til tomorrow, when I go back to help clear more stuff and get first dibs on any fabric I want.

Anyone here know about these things??

So you are willing to pay $3000, when the owner paid $2500? Am I reading this wrong? The machine - I think - you are talking about is not a true Long Arm if the machine is an industrial machine. A true quilting long arm is a machine that sits on a table, usually 10' or bigger - that you stand at to quilt your quilt. The table has poles to roll your quilt so you can quilt it. An industrial machine is a big machine that sits on a table you sit at and you'd have to free motion quilt. There is nothing to roll the quilt on to in order to quilt it. So it just depends on what you really want to do with your quilts. I love free motion and I also have a long arm. Personally, I wouldn't spend that much for an industrial machine, unless you are going to use it as an industrial machine. If you just want to free motion quilt, there are several machines out there that were intended for that purpose for less money. If you want a true long arm machine, then don't get an industrial model, get a long arm, i.e., HQ 16, Tin Lizzy, Gammel, etc. Those are true long arm machines. For free motion quilting, a Singer Model 15 is great - or a 15 clone!

Nancy

BoJangles 06-17-2011 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
Im hoping someone can give me some information about this Kenmore. I looked on the internet and I got years from the 30's to the 50's. The seriel # is 270003, and the model # is 117-552. An old neighbor gave this to me. Any information would be appriciated. Also I have no attachments or the book for it, only the foot that is on it. Any ideas where I can get them?

Snowquilt, that machine is a White as you already know, but what a tank of a machine! It looks like it could go through a war and survive just fine!

Nancy

BoJangles 06-17-2011 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by miriam

Originally Posted by miriam
Well, my sister just left town. While she was here we found a Bernina 530-2 in a mostly all there cabinet. I have never seen a Bernina in my life. It appears in good cosmetic shape and it turns. It has a whole bunch of weird feet. The stitch dial doesn't do much and the built in knee control doesn't move very far. I have yet to clean it up. I've had to catch up on regular work and hope to get something done on the machine over the week end. There is a manual - pretty small print... I'm thinking enlarge on the copy machine... The power does not go on when it is plugged in - no power at all. Is there some way to clean the contacts? Any info would help.

It is called a Record - the stitch selector doesn't move, the zig zag knob doesn't move and there is no power - I wonder if it could be hard wired. I oiled it up so I may try a little heat in a couple days and see if anything moves. I searched on line for info but I'm thinking someone who actually has one might know more than I'm finding. It does zig zag and straight but the part with all the nice stitches doesn't budge.

Miriam did you post a picture?

Nancy

dirty1mom 06-17-2011 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Oh here is a place for us to document our machines, a place where we can post photos and the pertinent information about them. Like the serial, make, model, etc. We can still discuss them over here in the shop but I want a place so we can build a data base of machines so we can identify ones that we score down the road.

Here is the link......

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-130994-1.htm

Billy

Good idea Billy. However, now I will have to clean all of them in order to take pics. I guess I have to go to work on them over the week end.

BoJangles 06-17-2011 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by irishrose
Stay off Craigslist!
Lotus coffin top $175
Davis Honeymoon $300
401 $125
Eldridge Two Spools in a beautiful cabinet and with pretty decals for $100
15? in a coffin top $100
15? in a beautiful cabinet $150 - this one may have been a treadle
My favorite - A Rocketeer in a cabinet for $100.

Irishrose, If that Eldridge Two Spools is close to you and you don't own a Two Spools, then you need that machine! A must!

Yep, I'd go for the Two Spool first - great piecing machine!
Second I'd get a 15 for free motion quilting - love that machine!
Third I'd get the Rocketeer for decorative stitches!

Now your set!

Nancy

Crossstitcher 06-17-2011 05:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SnowQuilt
Im hoping someone can give me some information about this Kenmore. I looked on the internet and I got years from the 30's to the 50's. The seriel # is 270003, and the model # is 117-552. An old neighbor gave this to me. Any information would be app

appriciated. Also I have no attachments or the book for it, only the foot that is on it. Any ideas where I can get them?

I have a machine that looks just like yours. Mine is a Franklin, made by White and sold at Sears. The model number is 851, Ser# 117851, We bought this at an estate auction. There was a note in the accessory box saying that she bought the machine with her first pay check in 1937. It came in a cabinet and has a stool and a rocking chair that matches the cabinet. (Don't know how to sew in a rocking chair?) There are all kinds of attachments and the bobbin are big around. She sews really good but to me sounds like a train coming through. Here are a few pictures of him. DH calls him Godzilla.

beaniekins 06-17-2011 08:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I recently got a sweet deal on a 99K handcrank machine. $12! The only issue it has is that the handcrank is on backwards. If you crank it away from you, then the machine stitches in reverse. You need to crank it towards you to get it to stitch properly. This would normally not bother me, but of course the handcrank handle will loosen off if you crank it towards yourself for an extended period of time. Is there a way to take off the crank and fix it? Or do I need to get a new crank and install that instead?

Also, when the bobbin winder is pushed up against the wheel to wind, the rubber doesn't catch quite right and it won't wind. Do I need to get new rubber for the winder? It turns perfectly freely on its own.

Here's a photo of my gorgeous machine.

qltndog 06-17-2011 08:12 AM

Billy or ?
Hoping someone can answer my questions.
I am looking for a Singer 66. I want to make it into a hand crank. If I find a treadle 66 head, can I add a crank to that? My son could make a base for it.
Also, if I find an electric one, can I leave the motor on and use the hand crank when I want to, without turning on the machine? Or does the motor have to be removed for the hand crank to be attached? Would love to have a machine that was both electric and hand crank. Does this make sense?
thanks in advance for your help. Joni

vintagemotif 06-17-2011 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by irishrose
Stay off Craigslist!
Lotus coffin top $175
Davis Honeymoon $300
401 $125
Eldridge Two Spools in a beautiful cabinet and with pretty decals for $100
15? in a coffin top $100
15? in a beautiful cabinet $150 - this one may have been a treadle
My favorite - A Rocketeer in a cabinet for $100.

Irishrose, If that Eldridge Two Spools is close to you and you don't own a Two Spools, then you need that machine! A must!

Yep, I'd go for the Two Spool first - great piecing machine!
Second I'd get a 15 for free motion quilting - love that machine!
Third I'd get the Rocketeer for decorative stitches!

Now your set!

Nancy

Cute Nancy!
I agree with you.
I piece with my Two Spools.
Free motion quilt with my 15.
Straight quilt or sew clothes with my 201.
Attach binding with my Davis NVF.
And finish binding with decorative stitch from my Singer 328K in treadle.

IF I didn't wish to treadle all my machines, I would go for the Rocketeer! Most likely down the road a Rocketeer will show up at my doorstep along with that Neechi to be treadle. Those Rocketeers are so cool looking!