Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Charlee 07-18-2011 08:04 PM

That's pretty Lisa...are both slide plates gone or do you just have them removed?

I wanna see pics of the accesories that you got too!! ;) (What can I say? I'm an "Attachment Ho"! :lol: )

quilt addict 07-18-2011 08:18 PM

Charlee,

It has all the plates. I had just removed it to write down the serial number.

Batteries died on the camera so will show pictures of the attachments tomorrow.

What do you call the attachment that is like a fork that goes under a screw nut? It is not a side or back clamp.

Charlee 07-18-2011 08:26 PM

Are you talking about a top clamp or something else? I'm having trouble visualizing...

Charlee 07-18-2011 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bennett
Oh, just remembered, I stopped in a tiny little antique shop (attached to a pawn shop) today. A man came in trying to sell a little bitty hand crank Singer machine. It was like the one here:
http://www.shopgoodwill.com/viewItem.asp?ItemID=8214542
I wondered what it was and when it was made as well. A commemorative item? A toy? I figured someone here would know, and might tell me if I passed up a great find. If I remember, he was asking $40 for it. The dealer turned him down.

considering that the one on the goodwill link you posted is at $89...I'd have probably given him $40...****IF**** it was in really good shape and had the table clamp. It's a Singer 20, and I don't know the earliest date, but believe that they were made into the 50's..

melinda1962 07-18-2011 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Ok...I did it. I broke down and bought a puzzle box full of attachments on ebay. ~sigh~ I've never seen one "in the wild" that didn't have issues of some kind with a price tag of $100 or more! (That 1889 stamp on them really boosts that price tag for some dealers!!)
Had to tho...the handcrank I just got NEEDS them!! :lol:

I understand that. I had to buy the whole treadle 1904 model 27-4 with a sphinx decal that had the original manual, just to get the puzzle box in the cabinet drawer, complete with the original manual too. Only wanted the puzzle box, but glad I got the whole she-bang. It sews good, and was ready to go, for $20. Even better was the 1940's newspaper pattern for panties pinned to a flour sack in one of the drawers. :D

Charlee 07-18-2011 09:00 PM

Oh my Melinda!! What a steal!!

melinda1962 07-18-2011 09:14 PM

Another note to that purchase; it was an estate sale, and the machine had belonged to the man's mom, who had passed away. He wrote it in the newspaper, "I am selling the old stuff from my mother's house." There were cards from him to her in the drawers of the cabinet. And when the area had been electrified, she had upgraded to a FW, with the stool, and card table, that I got for $51 at the same sale. Bless his heart, he didn't know what he had. His parents wedding china from pre-1940, since the pattern was discontinued then, I got for $10, service for 8.

jljack 07-18-2011 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by skaduzy

Originally Posted by skaduzy
What is the difference in a Wheeler and Wilson D9 and a W&W W9? Just wondering? Mine is the W9.

The D9 was made by Wheeler and Wilson prior to the sale to Singer in ABOUT 1905/6. (So said, because I don't have the exact date in front of me, and am at work) Singer continued the model with some minor changes as the 9W.

I know you are going to think I am a dumb blonde (and I am a blonde) but does that mean that a W&W W9 and W&W D9 are really the same model? I understand about the Singer W9 after W&W was sold but am having a problem understanding the difference in D9 and W9 before it was sold. Thanks.

When the company was Wheeler & Wilson, the model was D9. After Singer bought W&W, it's the same model but they renamed it 9W. Same model, different name.

jljack 07-18-2011 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962

Another note to that purchase; it was an estate sale, and the machine had belonged to the man's mom, who had passed away. He wrote it in the newspaper, "I am selling the old stuff from my mother's house." There were cards from him to her in the drawers of the cabinet. And when the area had been electrified, she had upgraded to a FW, with the stool, and card table, that I got for $51 at the same sale. Bless his heart, he didn't know what he had. His parents wedding china from pre-1940, since the pattern was discontinued then, I got for $10, service for 8.

Wow Melinda, you really scored!!! FW with all the goodies for $51??? You STOLE it!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Celeste 07-18-2011 10:40 PM

it posted twice!!! :oops: