Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Bennett 07-20-2011 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Charlee
Thanks everyone, for the compliments on the shelf! :)

VM, I LOVE that idea, and am, as I sit here, planning to steal it!! :lol: I can see thimbles in the little cubbies...or rufflers....or...or...or.... ;)

Of course, unless I actually FINISH a quilt, I won't have anything to hang on it!! :lol:

Neat! I hadn't thought of putting attachments on display. I have an old printer's tray that I am going to put my thread in. I'll have to see if I can fit some "ooo shiny" stuff in it too.

grannysewer 07-20-2011 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by grannysewer

Originally Posted by jljack

Went junking for my birthday last week and found a featherweight that needs TLC and a Wheeler Wilson that I'm not too sure about.
The featherweight was made April 10, 1940 in Elizabeth, NJ.
The WW's number is 3033849 and says it a D-9, have looked for it on web, but no luck. Anyone who has info, please help. bobbie

That W&W D9 is the same as the Singer W9; when Singer bought out W&W they kept making this one...that's what others here have said, so I am just passing that on.

So, I could look up Singer W9 and get info?

I just looked up Billy explantion on this site from Oct '09 and mine is not supposed to have decals. Don't know about the treadle yet.

grannysewer 07-20-2011 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bennett

Originally Posted by Charlee
Thanks everyone, for the compliments on the shelf! :)

VM, I LOVE that idea, and am, as I sit here, planning to steal it!! :lol: I can see thimbles in the little cubbies...or rufflers....or...or...or.... ;)

Of course, unless I actually FINISH a quilt, I won't have anything to hang on it!! :lol:

Neat! I hadn't thought of putting attachments on display. I have an old printer's tray that I am going to put my thread in. I'll have to see if I can fit some "ooo shiny" stuff in it too.

Cool idea, I'll have to watch for one of those.

Charlee 07-20-2011 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by jljack

Went junking for my birthday last week and found a featherweight that needs TLC and a Wheeler Wilson that I'm not too sure about.
The featherweight was made April 10, 1940 in Elizabeth, NJ.
The WW's number is 3033849 and says it a D-9, have looked for it on web, but no luck. Anyone who has info, please help. bobbie

That W&W D9 is the same as the Singer W9; when Singer bought out W&W they kept making this one...that's what others here have said, so I am just passing that on.

So, I could look up Singer W9 and get info?

I just looked up Billy explantion on this site from Oct '09 and mine is not supposed to have decals. Don't know about the treadle yet.

:?: Both the W&W D-9 AND the Singer 9W have decals...I'm confused as to why they wouldn't...other than they wear off really easy...

Charlee 07-20-2011 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
Have you tried to use that picot thang???

Not yet.... I plan to tho, as soon as I get the machine set up to sew and I also need to improvise some rubber "grippers" for the arms of the attachment.[/quote]

I have one of them some place and I need the grippers too - what do you think will work for grippers?[/quote]

I was thinking of either using clear tubing, like you'd get with an aquarium, or taking it to the auto parts store and getting black rubber tubing...the auto parts store is winning the "preference battle"....just becuase the air tubing is slick, the black rubber wouldn't be. The only thing that would concern me is if the black rubber would mark the fabric....
I'll try both and see what works when I can get this puppy hooked up to a machine! :)

*EDIT* William just told me about some stuff used by electricians to waterproof electrical connections that you put on and then shrink to fit with heat...he's going to bring me some, I'll let you know if it works!! :)

Charlee 07-20-2011 06:46 AM

Cathy--

I'm 99% sure it will be mine on Sunday. Seller said she'd hold it for me. Road trip, yay! The serial number she sent shows it was allotted on Oct. 5, 1910 (G784285). It's just so neat to think I can get a machine that's seen a century and still use it.

The virus has definitely struck. Nothing really to take for that is there? I guess I'll just have to wait it out! I am telling myself no more, except that I now I'm getting interested in something that can do a few decorative stitches and zigzag.

Get attachments!! :lol: I have a zigzagger, and I'm keeping eagle eyes out for an embroidery attachment... I have a Kenmore that does the stitches, using cams, I don't use that machine much!

MrsBoats 07-20-2011 07:01 AM

Ok, I didn't want to, but I think I'm going to have to-the treadle irons need repainted. I was hoping just to wax the bare spots, but now that I've got the dust and grime off, there's more bare than paint in too many places.

I know that *somewhere* I saw directions on how to take the table off the irons, and how to dismantle the irons, but now (of course), I can't find that site/page. I thought it was on Treadle On, but if it is, I'm not seeing it.

So, does anybody have any words of wisdom, or directions, or helpful links before I wing it?

miriam 07-20-2011 07:21 AM

Cathy--

I'm 99% sure it will be mine on Sunday. Seller said she'd hold it for me. Road trip, yay! The serial number she sent shows it was allotted on Oct. 5, 1910 (G784285). It's just so neat to think I can get a machine that's seen a century and still use it.

The virus has definitely struck. Nothing really to take for that is there? I guess I'll just have to wait it out! I am telling myself no more, except that I now I'm getting interested in something that can do a few decorative stitches and zigzag.

for the zigzag get a Singer 403 and all the disks or an old Elna with lots of disks or an old Kenmore with lots of disks
etc - I love cool toys... look for something all metal ;)

Barbara Antman 07-20-2011 08:31 AM

Hello Everyone! Well, purchased my first vintage treadle machine. Horrible, horrible shape, was stored in a barn, poor thing.
The number on the lower right front of the machine is G0264726. I dont know if this is a serial number or the plate number. You can see a bit of red decals showing through the rust and grime. I am very curious to find out how old she might be. Can anyone possibly help?
Thank You very much
Barbara

lee231 07-20-2011 09:36 AM

Barbara

Your machine was made in 1910 in New Jersey and is a model 15.