Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

quiltdoctor 07-30-2011 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

Originally Posted by melinda1962

Originally Posted by Candace

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by vintagemotif

Originally Posted by Charlee

Originally Posted by Candace
Hey folks! I was wondering if any of you brainiacs know what model # this Singer is? I've never seen one like it??

Looks like a 406 to me...but wait for a second/third/fourth opinion!! :lol:

I think that's a Singer 306.

No I think I'm wrong. Looks more like the Singer 319.

comparison link: http://www.thetreadlersvillage.com/S...19forsale.html

It sure looks like a 319. Thanks for the link. Those weird typewriter keys on the top are very interesting! I guess this is one of those models that never really took off since you just don't see them? Anyone own one?

Definitely a 319. I have a green two tone one. The typewriter keys are a tell and if you look just below the stitch lentgh adjuster, there is a little plate which also says the model. I found a free manual online. It mainly tries to convince the owner how easy it is to use. LOL

O.K. Now I know why it looks familiar. I recently watched a YouTube video of a green 319 that had been converted to a treadle. Here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7PVL...E82789647888E5

I thought it looked pretty cool but I guess the bobbin, on that model, is inconvenient to change (you have to do it from underneath the machine :shock: ) so maybe that's why you don't see too many of them. After watching the video, though, I wanted to get one :-D :roll:

I read on the internet that it wasn't popular because the ladies were intimidated by the levers and cams and having to make adjustments. Thought that was interesting.

Texas Jan

miriam 07-30-2011 03:24 PM

I'm not surprised - most of them didn't drive a car either - they sure could sew though. I loved the video.

suern3 07-30-2011 03:26 PM

Recently bought a Singer 99 and once I got it home, realized that the case has an odor from being stored, apparently. Does anyone have a good method for removing the odor? I tried doing a search on this site, but came up with way too many unrelated items. Thanks in advance.

miriam 07-30-2011 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by suern3
Recently bought a Singer 99 and once I got it home, realized that the case has an odor from being stored, apparently. Does anyone have a good method for removing the odor? I tried doing a search on this site, but came up with way too many unrelated items. Thanks in advance.

dryer sheets, baking soda, leave it open in the sun - it's the glue

Lostn51 07-30-2011 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by miriam

Originally Posted by suern3

dryer sheets, baking soda, leave it open in the sun - it's the glue

Yep the glue has started to mildew and it is not fun getting it out but you can. It was an animal based glue so mildew was always a problem if it ever was in a high humidity area.

Billy

chris_quilts 07-30-2011 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Charlee
W&W machines are awesome machines. Chris, there are photos of my W&W 8 on page 4 of the vintage machines photo thread. ALL of the decals on the W&W machines are delicate. For $20 you can't really go wrong...I'd buy both of them...the attachments are easy to tell the difference and to sort out.
Make sure you get the names of the ladies that have owned them if you can, makes the machine a lot more interesting in my eyes... :)

Charlee, thanks for the info and will look at your W&W 8 in that thread. I kept hoping you'd reply b/c I knew you had one. Yes, I probably will come home with 2 new babies tomorrow if the gal is available and I'll get as much info as I can from the seller. ~ Chris
Edit: Charlee; Looked at your W&W - it is gorgeous. I do know the two machine sat in a storage shed for untold # of years so declas might be an issue. Still gonna go look and probably buy. Yes, I do have the disease and don't want the cure. :twisted:

tomilu 07-30-2011 03:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
[quote=emmah]

Originally Posted by ube quilting
Hello everyone. I'm still looking for attachments for my KENMORE 117 959. Looking for bobbin case and bobbins which I desparately need to run the machine. And then my wish list is for any attachments that go with this machine. There are machines for sale on line but I can't find any parts. Do I have to buy a whole machine to get a bobbin and case? What to do??? very sad.
peace

After much going through, I think these may work. I had an old Kenmore that needed a new race but never found one. So glad I held onto these. PM me if you want me to send them to you.

tomilu 07-30-2011 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by judyjudyjudy
Yep, "I'm in," no longer just a FW wannabe. Got my first vintage singer machine today. It's a 1950 221-1. I got it from a sewing machine repair shop -- it's newly serviced and has a new case. I love it. It has a few paint chips -- and has two areas of peeled paint. One area is under the bobbin area, and the other area is above the power supply. One member advised using a black Model Masters paint pen for the chips, but I need advice on whether I should treat the peeled edges before painting. Help?

That looks to me like aluminum rot. I don't remember the remedy, but there is one and you need to use it as this stuff just gets worse.

tomilu 07-30-2011 04:13 PM

Here is a 66 for $25 in KS. Needs TLC, you could probably get it for $15. If you are getting machines to send overseas, this is a good one; easy to convert to HC if you need to.

http://wichita.craigslist.org/atq/2510757564.html

melinda1962 07-30-2011 04:19 PM

[quote=tomilu]

Originally Posted by emmah

Originally Posted by ube quilting
Hello everyone. I'm still looking for attachments for my KENMORE 117 959. Looking for bobbin case and bobbins which I desparately need to run the machine. And then my wish list is for any attachments that go with this machine. There are machines for sale on line but I can't find any parts. Do I have to buy a whole machine to get a bobbin and case? What to do??? very sad.
peace

After much going through, I think these may work. I had an old Kenmore that needed a new race but never found one. So glad I held onto these. PM me if you want me to send them to you.

There is an entire machine on ebay right now; you may can contact the seller and get the part number from him/her for the bobbin case. There is a close pic of the underside as well to compare to.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-SEARS-KE...item35b4051664