Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

vintagemotif 07-31-2011 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

Originally Posted by BrandyMcCoy
I need to go digging around in my hubbies garage to find some cleaners. The decals are in near perfect condition:)

Sewing machine oil will clean it up and won't damage the decals. I put some on my fingers and just gently rub it around, let it set for awhile and then gently take it off with a soft rag.

She sure is a beauty!!!!!!!!!!

I agree! Just clean it up with sewing oil. I use cotton balls and sewing oil to clean up the machines.

vintagemotif 07-31-2011 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
I took a detour home after church today and followed a garage sale signs. there was a street sale - nothing looked too interesting in my drive by - until I saw a house that had some older stuff out front and the promise of more in the back. Well, I probably should have stayed in the car, but, I got out and immediately spotted a poor neglected sewing machine on the ground. As I was looking it over, being the last day, the woman offered it to me as a door stop or garden ornament - just take it away. I felt bad for it so it followed me home. The wheel turns freely and the needle goes up and down. It's missing its shuttle, here is is uncleaned. I'll clean it up, but it won't go in the garden. If I can find a shuttle and a bobbin, I'll stick a hand crank on it - if that is even possible.

NICE! That will look pretty after a cleaning!

vintagemotif 07-31-2011 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

Originally Posted by Charlee

Originally Posted by Candace

Originally Posted by buslady
You say "addiction" like it's a bad thing. LOL

Yes, if I had a shrink ray to make these machines smaller I could hide them easier!

You don't need a shrink ray Candace, you need MORE machines! That way the guys don't even notice a new one! :lol:

This is true!! My kids didn't notice that I had another black featherweight because when they saw it they just thought it was the first one. :mrgreen:

My husband would know if I had another FW. He keeps asking if I found anymore of them- he thinks they are cute!

vintagemotif 07-31-2011 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
I got my first antique singer! Now I just have to find out who to take her to get re-wired and we will be good to go. Can I use my low shank walking foot and darning foot on her? Oh and she's missing the little knob on the front that you adjust when you change the stitch length i think? is this going to make it so she won't work for me? Can you see that the little knob is missing on the front? i didn't know anything about it when I bought her this afternoon. Oh and I got her for $60 cuz i knew I was going to have to re-wire her.

Congrats on your 201! That's my favorite machine to sew with since it makes a gorgeous stitch top and bottom. Hopefully, Billy can help you with the missing part.
Enjoy that beauty!

vintagemotif 07-31-2011 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by melinda1962
Well, I have seen some pretty machines here lately. I like the singers (a redeye is on my wish list) but am drawn to the older non-singer electric ones. I guess it is because I learned to sew on a Wizard that my mom bought with her first paycheck in the fall of 1966, when I was four years old. I still have the machine and got it out and cleaned it up today, and it is still just as pretty as then. And sews like a dream. Go figure. My mom made most of my clothes on it, and when I was 8, I started making some of my own. I wound up with it and used it for all my maternity and baby clothes and bedding too. It was the machine I used when I started "taking in sewing," as we say here in LA. I saw one similar to it on craigslist and decided to clean it up today. It looks alright for its miles and age I think.

Way cool! to still have the machine that your mom purchased.
Glad you got it out, cleaned it up, and now using it.
Enjoy your new old find.

olebat 08-01-2011 04:39 AM

While camping in West Virginia this past weekend, someone brought a new to me machine. It's a White Rotary. I untied the cabinet for a quick peak before the guys loaded into my van. Looks as tho the the cabinet will need to be re-glued, and some blistered varnish removed and redone. The machine knobs are cracked and almost completely deteriorated.

The history was that the neighbors bought it when they were newly weds, more for the cabinet than for the machine, as she was not much of a sewer. Their kids are now in college, and none of them wanted the thing, so she had it in her yard sale. My friend mentioned that I restored the vintage machines for 4-H, and the neighbor gave it to her.

Well,with a story like that, it must have been second hand when they picked it up. It's much older than current college kids. I'll be interested to see what it does when I get it out of the van later today. Then I'll need to go back through the thread to read up on White Rotaries. I'll post some picks, but I know I'll be needing control knobs. It has lots of attachments, including some which look as though they came from some horror chamber.

Quilt Mom 08-01-2011 04:53 AM

Wow! Lots happening here! It's fun to hear about all the wonderful machines being saved.

I have an update - finally - on the treadle listed on Rochester NY craigslist last week. When my sistere finally got hold of the seller, the lady said it had been sold just that morning, and that she could have sold 10 of the machines.

Thanks to the individual with the explanation about the machine boss. I learn something new every day here.

I have discovered that my local sewing machine repairman is now selling off his (and his father's) collection of machines. He also has a couple of collectors who are selling through his shop. There are some that I am considering, but my DH always talks about the limited space in the house, etc., and do I really need it. He finally conceded to the treadle because we do experience power outages, and his mother sewed on a treadle. But more?! How could I even think of it?!

Ah, well. The bug, once it bites, is hard to get rid of.

deplaylady 08-01-2011 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
Wow! Lots happening here! It's fun to hear about all the wonderful machines being saved.

I have an update - finally - on the treadle listed on Rochester NY craigslist last week. When my sistere finally got hold of the seller, the lady said it had been sold just that morning, and that she could have sold 10 of the machines.

Thanks to the individual with the explanation about the machine boss. I learn something new every day here.

I have discovered that my local sewing machine repairman is now selling off his (and his father's) collection of machines. He also has a couple of collectors who are selling through his shop. There are some that I am considering, but my DH always talks about the limited space in the house, etc., and do I really need it. He finally conceded to the treadle because we do experience power outages, and his mother sewed on a treadle. But more?! How could I even think of it?!

Ah, well. The bug, once it bites, is hard to get rid of.

My DH now loves my treadle machine. It's displayed in the dining room and he thinks it's really cool. He has told me more than a few times how nice it looks and how cool it is. He even helped replace the chandelier in that room (it needed that update, it was over 20 years old) to something that would look better with the treadle. Too bad I don't have room for more of them. I like the idea of shrinking the machines to fit more!

BoJangles 08-01-2011 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
I got this last week:> It's a 185K. I've cleaned it up, it needed it. and it looks all nice and shiny. This is the photo taken at the sellers place, but I jumped on it when I saw it listed on CL. It looks better now, but I don't have a new photo. I sewed all day on it last week and it does a nice straight stitch. Another fun one to play with. It came with the carrying case that needed a good cleaning too, but it works perfect.

Candace how does the 185K sound when you sew on it? Is it loud, groany sounding? There is a gal that comes to our Girl's Night Out with a 185K that sounds terrible, but sews really nice. By the way, really nice machine. I love the way those 185's look!

Nancy

BoJangles 08-01-2011 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
My husband would know if I had another FW. He keeps asking if I found anymore of them- he thinks they are cute!

Monica, once you have more than three, he won't notice! My DH has no idea how many I have! Besides, I am collecting the FW's for grandkids to get someday.

Nancy