Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

tomilu 08-11-2011 05:33 PM

[quote=miriam]

Originally Posted by JaneK
Hi All,
Well I have the opportunity to get a Singer 401A and it looks OK from the picture . Do you guys think I should get it, at what price and what are your opinions of the 401? Is it something I would love to own or should I pass? Thanks for your help, you are a great resource and I trust your judgement!!:)
Jane

I've been able to move the needle position lever over so I can get a perfect scant 1/4". Can't do that with a lot of the oldies. I have loaned mine out and may live to regret that. A friend has retired from teaching and wants to learn to sew. I think the 401 will be a good one for her to learn to sew with.

cabbagepatchkid 08-11-2011 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
I have been away from the cafe for a few days. Does anyone know what has happened to the wonderful Singer site where you could look up most vintage machines by their serial number to find what they are and when they were commissioned to be built? That same site all looks different now and I couldn't find the usual info I had been so used to locating. Thanks.

Singer changed the site. It was discussed on the Singer Yahoo group but I don't have the new link yet. :(

Here is the new one:
http://www.singerco.com/support/machineSerialNumbers

cabbagepatchkid 08-11-2011 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by tomilu

Originally Posted by deplaylady
I had a nice surprise today - my shopgoodwill package arrived a day early so I have a new green machine! It runs really nice!

Looks like it survived shipping and the base seems good as well. Congrats!

I love your 'new' 185. They are adorable machines, aren't they. Would you share how it was wrapped? I just got a machine today (eBay) and the machine came partway out of the base, during shipment, and is stuck tight at one of the hinges. A couple of weeks ago I bought a machine from Billy and he did an awesome job :thumbup: of packing it. It's a pink Atlas and must weigh 500 lbs :shock: The way Billy packed it, it didn't budge an inch!!

cabbagepatchkid 08-11-2011 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
I just put in an offer on a Singer 319W. Green one:> We'll see if it'll be coming home with me tomorrow....

I hope you get it! Here is a YouTube video made by a woman who converted her green 319w to a treadle. The video shows her making the different stitches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7PVLI-LHDc

Here is a link to some info for the stitches that you can make:

http://www.vintagesewingmachines.biz/singer/319W.HTML

Makes me want to get one!! :shock:

Tinabug 08-11-2011 06:08 PM

http://www.singerco.com/support/mach...rsDoubleLetter

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
I have been away from the cafe for a few days. Does anyone know what has happened to the wonderful Singer site where you could look up most vintage machines by their serial number to find what they are and when they were commissioned to be built? That same site all looks different now and I couldn't find the usual info I had been so used to locating. Thanks.

deplaylady 08-11-2011 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

Originally Posted by tomilu

Originally Posted by deplaylady
I had a nice surprise today - my shopgoodwill package arrived a day early so I have a new green machine! It runs really nice!

Looks like it survived shipping and the base seems good as well. Congrats!

I love your 'new' 185. They are adorable machines, aren't they. Would you share how it was wrapped? I just got a machine today (eBay) and the machine came partway out of the base, during shipment, and is stuck tight at one of the hinges. A couple of weeks ago I bought a machine from Billy and he did an awesome job :thumbup: of packing it. It's a pink Atlas and must weigh 500 lbs :shock: The way Billy packed it, it didn't budge an inch!!

Well, it certainly wasn't packed as well as Billy would pack it, but it wasn't as bad as my FW was packed that I got from eBay. I call the goodwill before I paid to ask how they would pack it. They did pretty good - bubble wrap around the foot pedal, around the machine, bubble wrap, inside box, peanuts (hate peanuts!), outside box. My FW came shipped in just it's put into a slightly larger box and sealed - that was it. Not pretty: ( Broken glass from light everywhere inside(when I got it opened) - spool holder almost poked through lid, one latched locked closed. They did refund shipping.

chris_quilts 08-11-2011 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by quiltlady

Originally Posted by quiltlady
Billy - hope you can help me- years ago (more than 20) I bought an old machine that I bought just purely as a display item as I thought it looked cool in it's wood case, which was the bentwood style. I never expected it to work and never checked it out to work. Well now I am interested in the old machines to actually sew on, so today I dug it out and took a look at it. WOW is all I can say - it looks to be a 1911 Singer 66 - the serial number is G0564792 which on Singer website is 1910 but the bobbin bed cover plate says Patented Canada Aug 1, 1911 - so I'm guessing the 1910 is just a start date of these being produced. Thanks for any help you can give me. Pat

I researched this further today on internet - I can't actually find the serial numbers on Singer site - when I look further at internet pictures of vintage machines it looks like it's a Singer 128

Looking at the Singer single letter serial # site (link is on page 1473 or 1474 on this thread), I found that it is a Singer 128-3, manufactured in St. Jean, Quebec, on Dec 22, 1923. Hope this helps. When you scroll thru the #s, scroll down until the numbers begin with 0 and there you find your machine. ~ Chris

deplaylady 08-11-2011 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Suzi

Originally Posted by justtrish

Originally Posted by miriam

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I have a 185J that's supposed to arrive on Friday from shopgoodwill.com. I'm hoping that it arrives all in one piece. I can't wait to look up the date and sew on it. Glad to hear it comes apart easily for cleaning.

I am glad someone here got that machine! I had a long argument with myself about bidding on it, but I have my eye on another machine.

Me too. (I'm glad you got it Betty!!!) I'm just up to my eyeballs in poison ivy. This is now the third time this summer. AND I broke my baby toe. AND I have extra work I'm suppose to do.

Good Lord, Woman! What are you doing wrong right now? Poison ivy for the third time (you know you can become super sensitive to that stuff and it will put you in the hospital) and now a broken pinky. One must be more careful of one's body - it has to last you awhile! :roll:

I am lost who is it that has posion ivy again..is it Miriam?

YES .........[/quote]

Miriam - you need to stay inside and sew! Just to keep away from all the poison ivy!

chris_quilts 08-11-2011 06:22 PM

[quote=deplaylady][quote=Suzi][quote=justtrish]

Originally Posted by miriam

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I am lost who is it that has posion ivy again..is it Miriam?

YES .........

Miriam - you need to stay inside and sew! Just to keep away from all the poison ivy!

I second this. 3 posion ivy sessions in one summer is 3 too many or at the very least 2 too many. Hope you're feeling better. Chris

vintagemotif 08-11-2011 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by JaneK
Hi All,
Well I have the opportunity to get a Singer 401A and it looks OK from the picture . Do you guys think I should get it, at what price and what are your opinions of the 401? Is it something I would love to own or should I pass? Thanks for your help, you are a great resource and I trust your judgement!!:)
Jane

I love the one I picked up (yes, I have at least used it once). My daughter loves it too! I do believe it will become her machine since she likes the way it stitches over her Janome Threadbanger. If it is a good deal, go for it.