Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Grandmother23 03-14-2011 06:11 PM

Thanks for everyones comments. Started looking at this section of the board and poof! I just had to have more machines.

I didn't want to just sit while I was away from home visiting. I took the phone book and looked for directions on the computer. Only got lost a few times, went 12 miles out of the way on a side road, turned around and found 2 shops across the road from each other, found 2 machines at one (Grandson pointed out the 301, I didn't see it) and machine acccessories at the other, but enjoyed my time driving, talking to people, and sitting at the play thingy at "the big McDonald's" as a reward/bribe to the grandson for putting up with me dragging him around doing something he didn't want to do--I hope I don't have to eat chicken for a while. As I was looking, I had to pass up quite a few machines-in Litchfield, a rockateer(sp) in a really neat cabinet that I would love to have had. No room in the car. :hunf: In Hillsboro where I pickup up the Redeye, I had to leave a treadle. No room in the car. Found in Vandalia-1. a New Home that I wish I could have taken that had West Germany on it with a really nice cabinet and when I lifted the head, it said Belleville, Ill. on it. No room in the car. :hunf: 2. a 66 treadle with sphinx decals, poor baby was in bad shape, looked kind of lonely. No room in the car :hunf: 3. another one for $20 rough shape, looking for a good home, maybe next time if still there. No room in the car. :hunf: 4. Singer with a coffin lid-wanted $80 for it and I passed for a few reasons. One was no room in the car.
And so it went. Son asked me why I needed 7 machines while I had some already. I told him I was stimulating the economy in Illinois.

All told, I only went about 30 minutes from my starting point. From one shop I got a pamplet that gives you the exits for the antique shops. Starts at 100B in Springfield and goes South to Exit 37 in Livingston, IL. Of course, there are a jillion little shops all along my 780 mile route. Just not enough time to stop at everyone. Anyone interested can pm me and I will be happy to send you the list.

I wish I could have picked everyone up. Ya'll could have helped with the driving coming and going home!!!

I just reread this and realized I am one long winded person tonight!!

BoJangles 03-14-2011 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Originally Posted by BoJangles
I am 4 pages behind so this may have been answered, but what is CRS?

Nancy

Ahem. . .Can't Remember . . . ah, Stuff. Yeah, stuff will do!!! LOL!!!!

Oh that - hummmmm "stuff" -- unlike my husband who has SML! That is selective memory loss!

Nancy

BoJangles 03-14-2011 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Moommist13344
Hello,
I will be doing lots of reading here to catch up, so if I chime in at the wrong place, please forgive me. Love Vintage Machines... I have several. I'll catch up with you all soon.
xoxoxo
Ms MoomMist

We all love to see the pictures! Welcome aboard!

Nancy

cabbagepatchkid 03-14-2011 06:16 PM

Nancy

Well, I suffer from CHAOS....Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome....which has gotten worse since I started 'collecting' old sewing machines.

Grandmother23 03-14-2011 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid

Nancy

Well, I suffer from CHAOS....Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome....which has gotten worse since I started 'collecting' old sewing machines.

I have both myself!

BoJangles 03-14-2011 06:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well I am very proud of myself tonight. I have been sewing all day! I finished the wonky blue quilt I had started quilting and putting together last fall. I pieced those blocks with my Mother's 1952 Pfaff 130, I quilted the blocks - quilt as you go method - with my Singer 15-88 treadle, I made the binding with my Free Sewing Machine Co. treadle from 1913, I sewed the binding on the quilt with my 1886 Vertical Feed Davis "Betty," and I finished attaching the binding on the back with my 1976, 1222E Pfaff! The last thing I am going to do is put my initials on the quilt with my 1961, 503A Rocketeer!

This is the first quilt I have put binding on with the Davis Vertical Feed! What a blast that was! She actually works!

Nancy

Oh that is Tarzan the Man, my 3.5 pound chihuahua!

You can almost see the quilting on the back!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]169982[/ATTACH]

Shemjo 03-14-2011 06:30 PM

Congratulations, Nancy! The quilt is beautiful, and to think it was all done with vintge machines!
My electroninc machine just quit working his afternoon. The power just went out. So I am on my FW and enjoying the stitching. And if there is a problem, I can fix it. I don't dare get into the electronic machine!

Grandmother23 03-14-2011 06:35 PM

Miss Nancy I really like the idea of using differnet machines to do different things. I can't wait to use the binding attachment on one of my machines. And that is a lovely quilt! Like tarzan the man also.

vintagemotif 03-14-2011 06:36 PM

Well I am very proud of myself tonight. I have been sewing all day! I finished the wonky blue quilt I had started quilting and putting together last fall. I pieced those blocks with my Mother's 1952 Pfaff 130, I quilted the blocks - quilt as you go method - with my Singer 15-88 treadle, I made the binding with my Free Sewing Machine Co. treadle from 1913, I sewed the binding on the quilt with my 1886 Vertical Feed Davis "Betty," and I finished attaching the binding on the back with my 1976, 1222E Pfaff! The last thing I am going to do is put my initials on the quilt with my 1961, 503A Rocketeer!

This is the first quilt I have put binding on with the Davis Vertical Feed! What a blast that was! She actually works!

Nancy

Oh that is Tarzan the Man, my 3.5 pound chihuahua!

Beautiful! Nancy, I love that you shared with us how each machine that you used had a different task in assembling and creating this beautiful quilt. Happy to read that you got your Davis Vertical Feed working for you too. I love seeing the quilts that others create with their vintage machines. Thanks for sharing!

Miz Johnny 03-14-2011 06:43 PM

Well I am very proud of myself tonight. I have been sewing all day! I finished the wonky blue quilt I had started quilting and putting together last fall.

Nancy

Wow. And wow again.