Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

Kitzone 03-15-2011 09:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I scanned a couple of singer machines from a 1896 "Singer Manufacturing Catalogue" that I thought some might find interesting. Most of the machines in the "catalogue" were used in manufacturing. As I get more time I will post additional pictures if anyone is interested.

Judy

Singer 15-31 General sewing - has drop feed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]170387[/ATTACH]

Singer 29 for boot and shoe repairing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]170388[/ATTACH]

Singer 34 lock-stitch seams for hollow or convex surfaces
[ATTACH=CONFIG]170389[/ATTACH]

cherrybsixty 03-15-2011 09:29 PM

Nancy, let say this and I have to hit the hay cause tomorrow is another work day, but your quilt is gorgeous. You don't suffer from Adult ADD, do you. One of my late friend was diagnosed with it. Well, good hunting everyone, enjoy your finds. My little laptop is off to the shop once again. I'll re-visit the shop in a couple of days. Thanks Billy for manning the shop and not closing the mice hole behind the door. So that us little ole lurkers can come in and sit and learn and eye the pretty girls and boys that everyone picks up on, Good nite all.

Sew Cindy 03-16-2011 01:57 AM

I have a question I have been trying to find an answer to but haven't seen a site that addresses it directly.
I have been looking at lots of sites that have older machines for sale. They post the model number often a 2 letter prefix followed by numbers. However, when I look the Singer site it only tells you the age by using the model number. I often see posts talking about a (I will use the word 'name" to distiguish from model number) 66-1, a 99, 201, 211, but none of these seem to correspond to the model number. How do I locate the name with a model number? Or have I just not seen enough model numbers that those 'names' I was talking about will show up. Interested to see how to crack this egg.

cabbagepatchkid 03-16-2011 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by AbbyQuilts
does anyone know what these to are they look interesting for singers

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/atq/2263284853.html

The machine in the lower left corner of the picture is something I've never seen before! I wonder what it was used for?
ETA: Oooops....I see that that question has already been answered...LOL!

cabbagepatchkid 03-16-2011 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Sew Cindy
I have a question I have been trying to find an answer to but haven't seen a site that addresses it directly.
I have been looking at lots of sites that have older machines for sale. They post the model number often a 2 letter prefix followed by numbers. However, when I look the Singer site it only tells you the age by using the model number. I often see posts talking about a (I will use the word 'name" to distiguish from model number) 66-1, a 99, 201, 211, but none of these seem to correspond to the model number. How do I locate the name with a model number? Or have I just not seen enough model numbers that those 'names' I was talking about will show up. Interested to see how to crack this egg.

Hi Cindy. The number with the letter prefix is the 'serial number' and the 'type of machine' is the 'model number'...66-1, 99, etc.
Each sewing machine has it's own serial number that identifies that particular machine. Maybe 50,000 of that type (model) of machine were made on any particular day or week and each one is tagged with it's own serial number.
I hope this clears it up for you :-D

kwendt 03-16-2011 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Anyone in the Boston, MA area looking for a Singer 201??? For $20.00 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Check out this CL listing....I'm pretty sure that is a 201 under all of that dirt and grime:

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/atq/2253202819.html

well... the posting is already 'expired'....

jan on 446 03-16-2011 06:44 AM

I recently posted about a Necchi machine I was thinking about getting.

"There's a number pressed in the metal on the bottom front of the machine (when you tilt it back from the carrying case base) which I believe is the serial number. It is 507098. My guess is that it's from the 1940's or '50's.
Note: ***
Dh found another number also A107-3
Other writing reads: Distributed by Necchi Elna Sewing Machine Sales USA
*** Arm says Miracle on it.
Motor: Champion Made in USA Universal Motion Cycles 25-75 Model 24

I did buy it and met the owner's price about halfway.
I have searched several places for an owner's manual. No luck...any suggestions.
Would appreciate any info you can provide.
It's a nice machine.
Oh oh...dh is now excited about old machines and is researching on the net and telling me stuff that I already know! He is looking at ones for sale across the country! I now have two treadles and two others that are not vintage.
Help me!!! LOl
Will post pics later.

jan on 446 03-16-2011 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by jan on 446
I just found a Free Westinghouse machine at the local thrift shop. They are holding it for me.
SN# AHR833157
It runs but wasn't able to try to sew with it. It's $25 I am wondering if parts etc and needles are easily available. Also, do you have any information about this machine. It's a heavy one and all metal as far as I can tell.
I didn't have my camera with me so can't post pictures.

I can't find any manuals or information about it online. Hopefully, someone here can help!

BoJangles 03-16-2011 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Weedwoman
I have a Davis VF picture on here somewhere but I can't remember what page it's on. More of the CRS affliction........

LOL! If you ever do remember, please let me know and I will add your to my list!

Nancy

BoJangles 03-16-2011 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Kitzone
I scanned a couple of singer machines from a 1896 "Singer Manufacturing Catalogue" that I thought some might find interesting. Most of the machines in the "catalogue" were used in manufacturing. As I get more time I will post additional pictures if anyone is interested.

Judy

Judy, what great ads! So the bottom one is the same in that ad we saw with the post and no bed! I had never seen a machine like that! Thanks for sharing!

Nancy