Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

miriam 08-11-2011 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by Candace
Oh my! A great listing for a "Vintage" Featherweight on my local CL appeared this afternoon. I wonder how old is vintage in their minds?! LOL!!!!!!! http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2541744772.html

:thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I sent him an e-mail explaining that machine is not a 'vintage' anything! I also directed him on what a 'vintage' Singer Featherweight actually looks like and how to look it up!

Nancy

:roll: :lol: :roll: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

quilt addict 08-11-2011 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by lee231
Picked up 3 machines at an auction today. 66 Red Eye -$5, Stitchmaster 15 clone - $7.50 and a 301 for $7. Will post pics tomorrow.

Great job, they just do auctions around here that I can find.

:(

Kathie S. 08-11-2011 04:47 PM

I sent him an e-mail explaining that machine is not a 'vintage' anything! I also directed him on what a 'vintage' Singer Featherweight actually looks like and how to look it up!

Nancy[/quote]

Good job Nancy. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Kathie

JaneK 08-11-2011 04:48 PM

Hi All,
Well I have the opportunity to get a Singer 401A and it looks OK from the picture . Do you guys think I should get it, at what price and what are your opinions of the 401? Is it something I would love to own or should I pass? Thanks for your help, you are a great resource and I trust your judgement!!:)
Jane

Glenn 08-11-2011 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by Candace
Oh my! A great listing for a "Vintage" Featherweight on my local CL appeared this afternoon. I wonder how old is vintage in their minds?! LOL!!!!!!! http://sacramento.craigslist.org/atq/2541744772.html

:thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Nancy

Good for you Nancy

tomilu 08-11-2011 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by JaneK
Hi All,
Well I have the opportunity to get a Singer 401A and it looks OK from the picture . Do you guys think I should get it, at what price and what are your opinions of the 401? Is it something I would love to own or should I pass? Thanks for your help, you are a great resource and I trust your judgement!!:)
Jane

I've been sewing on one for several days. It sews a nice stitch, like most of the oldies do. It is a little noisier than some of my other oldies, but not that bad. If the price is right, I say go ahead.

Candace 08-11-2011 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.

Nancy

What's bad is that this person can't even google???? Lame.

Candace 08-11-2011 05:00 PM

I just put in an offer on a Singer 319W. Green one:> We'll see if it'll be coming home with me tomorrow....

miriam 08-11-2011 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by JaneK
Hi All,
Jane

Thread it up. Does it make a stitch? Do the stitch selector knobs work freely? Does it zigzag? Are the bottom gears rusted? Does it appear to have all it's parts? No to any it is a parts machine or needs TLC offer $25
If all are a yes, does it have Manual? Table? Does it have 5 disks? Are there any accessories? $150 + or - is good price. I love the 400 series machines I have. I think they beat out most newer machines. They are all metal. The needle is in a position you can see what you are doing. They are gear driven. Most of the stitches on a newer machine are on there. I had a medium end Janome with less stitch selection. The Janome did have needle position options which drove me nuts. I got rid of it and kept the Singer. BTW a Singer 403 is real nice too.

Suzi 08-11-2011 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by justtrish

Originally Posted by Suzi

Originally Posted by miriam

Originally Posted by dirty1mom
I have a 185J that's supposed to arrive on Friday from shopgoodwill.com. I'm hoping that it arrives all in one piece. I can't wait to look up the date and sew on it. Glad to hear it comes apart easily for cleaning.

I am glad someone here got that machine! I had a long argument with myself about bidding on it, but I have my eye on another machine.

Me too. (I'm glad you got it Betty!!!) I'm just up to my eyeballs in poison ivy. This is now the third time this summer. AND I broke my baby toe. AND I have extra work I'm suppose to do.

Good Lord, Woman! What are you doing wrong right now? Poison ivy for the third time (you know you can become super sensitive to that stuff and it will put you in the hospital) and now a broken pinky. One must be more careful of one's body - it has to last you awhile! :roll:

I am lost who is it that has posion ivy again..is it Miriam?[/quote]

YES .........