Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

buslady 06-04-2011 06:45 AM

Speaking of Mz Johnny and Billy, they have not been in the shop in a while, hope they are just busy, not sick or anything!

deplaylady 06-04-2011 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by BoJangles

Originally Posted by jpete523
Nancy,

Do you have any knowledge about Western Electric sewing machines? I have a wonderful chainstitch with a hand crank that is badged Western Electric. But I am clueless about how to thread it. It was threaded when I bought it but it's not correct because the stitch knots up when you sew. It looks a lot like a Wilcox and Gibbs. Maybe I could use a W & G threading diagram? Thank you for your help!
Jan

Jan, the only thing I know about Western Electric is that National made Western Electric machines from 1917 to 1918 - only 2 years. I also know that Graybar was first called Western Electric. Graybar split off from Western Electric in 1925 to become Graybar. I think the person on here who understands the whole Western Electric, National, Graybar thing is Monica (Vintagemotif) as she has two different Two Spools machines and she has done some research on them. Those chain stitch machines did thread pretty much the same. I'd try a Wilcox & Gibbs threading route, but maybe Monica can help with that too.

Nancy

Here is some information on the Wilcox and Gibbs and how to thread one. http://www.sewalot.com/willcox_gibbs.htm

That sure is a pretty blue machine!

annesthreads 06-04-2011 09:25 AM

Anyone know where I might get bobbins for a 1963 Husqvarna Viking 19E? Thanks

irishrose 06-04-2011 09:34 AM

I love that aqua Morse. I wish one would pop up in a garage sale here.

Where can I order a 1930s Art Deco handle for a cabinet door? I bought a dressing table minus the mirror. It may make a nice desk for my 301. It's missing one handle and needs a good cleaning. The seller delivered it. His wife said it would fit in their van. Uh huh. I heard the casters coming down the street. He walked it around the block and carried it into the house. How nice!

hmross 06-04-2011 10:09 AM

ok, I need some help in locating the serial no or model no on a new home sewing machine. It's an older model in a cabinet. I need to try to find a manual needles etc. So any help that anyone can give me would be most appreciated.

deplaylady 06-04-2011 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi

Originally Posted by jpete523
Suzi,
Arachnesobsession's information can be found at www.community.webshots.com/user/arachnesobsession on her homepage Webshots. Choose her albums, page 1, scroll about halfway down and look in the right column for "White SMC Badge Names". It's 2 pages of alphabetized names so it's easy to search the name you want. I was amazed at the names I recognized. If all else fails, you can Google her name and get there. Oh, and you're welcome.
Jan

Amazing ----- and I just found this quote on another blog about the Sears' machines: "For 20 years, from 1938 to 1958, the White Sewing Machine Company produced every Kenmore sewing machine. Since then, Sears has contracted with different manufacturers to make its sewing machines, mostly for economic reasons." HA! How 'bout that ..... learn something new every day!

Just doing some back reading - the two Kenmore Sewing machines I have were made by Janome. I used to have a White Sewing machine in a cabinet with all the attachments (had no idea what they were) that I made clothes for my DDs with and gave it about 25 years ago up for a newer, more portable, and alas, cheaper machine when I stopped sewing a lot. Figured it took up less space, I guess. I no longer have the cheap portable, but I no longer have that White, either. Oh well.

quiltaholic 06-04-2011 10:55 AM

Thank you Billy

I have a FW and a vintage treadle Singer 1890's. Both machines are operational.

I have a lot to learn about the treadle. Had it serviced and a new belt put on it got it threaded finally got the feet to going right and sewed a few seams with it. This has been about 6 months ago. Have not used it again.

I do want to make a small quilt using it so when I have the time and inclination I am sure you will be hearing from me.

Look forward to reading more.

irishrose 06-04-2011 11:10 AM

My neighbor just came to the door. Do I know anyone who wants a sewing machine? It's a Singer in a cabinet. He doesn't know the age. I hope it's a plastic one so I can get it operational and pass it on. Now I'm curious, but I have to be patient.

Suzi 06-04-2011 11:16 AM

OK - now I'm really in a quandry. Remember a few pages back when I told you about the antique Singer treadle that was a total disaster? Well, the seller emailed and said to come pick it up if I still want it for the offer I quoted (which was $25, by the way). Hubby and I talk about it in spurts - such as: 'poor thing - not much could be done with it' and 'nobody will want it', 'redoing it will destroy it's antique status', etc. I am NEVER indecisive about things and rarely ask for help but this time I just can't make up my mind. #1 - I have no room, #2 - hubby said he won't touch it (although I know he will eventually). Sorry for leaning on you guys - but - what do you think you would do??

olebat 06-04-2011 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
OK - now I'm really in a quandry. Remember a few pages back when I told you about the antique Singer treadle that was a total disaster? Well, the seller emailed and said to come pick it up if I still want it for the offer I quoted (which was $25, by the way). Hubby and I talk about it in spurts - such as: 'poor thing - not much could be done with it' and 'nobody will want it', 'redoing it will destroy it's antique status', etc. I am NEVER indecisive about things and rarely ask for help but this time I just can't make up my mind. #1 - I have no room, #2 - hubby said he won't touch it (although I know he will eventually). Sorry for leaning on you guys - but - what do you think you would do??

Fetch, Spot. Fetch! do what you can, keep it out of the land fill. Pass it on, or use it for donor parts.