Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/)
-   -   Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell (https://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage-antique-machine-enthusiasts-f22/vintage-sewing-machine-shop-come-sit-spell-t43881.html)

sew wishful 06-03-2011 05:29 PM

Chris that is amazing! I love that cabinet! Good eye! Good catch!!

jpete523 06-03-2011 05:32 PM

Randa ...
If your Dressmaker has a serial number with JA then it's probably a clone just like Bojangles explained. If not, then call White, they answer "Viking, Pfaff", and they can research the number and tell you when it was manufactured and possibly the location. Their number is 1-800-446-2333.

I was sure my Dressmaker was a clone because it looks just like a Singer 15. It has a side mounted tension knob, a knob on top to release the pressure foot pressure, and a dial marked "normal, silk, embroidery" which drops the feed dogs. I thought "Yay! FMQ!!" But I couldn't find a JA serial number on it. It's serial number is all numerals. So I called White and sure enough it was made by White in 1957 probably in Cleveland, Ohio. I like finding out a machine's heritage when I can so I think it's fun to have a date and maker.

Good luck on finding out about yours.
Jan

jpete523 06-03-2011 05:44 PM

Nancy,

Do you have any knowledge about Western Electric sewing machines? I have a wonderful chainstitch with a hand crank that is badged Western Electric. But I am clueless about how to thread it. It was threaded when I bought it but it's not correct because the stitch knots up when you sew. It looks a lot like a Wilcox and Gibbs. Maybe I could use a W & G threading diagram? Thank you for your help!
Jan

Kathie S. 06-03-2011 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Unique sewing cabinet got today. It has Duncan Phyfe looking feet and is something I've not seen before. Any guesses as to it's age? Just curious.

I love your new cabinet. If it needs a new home, here I am. Kathie

sew wishful 06-03-2011 06:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by jpete523
Randa ...
If your Dressmaker has a serial number with JA then it's probably a clone just like Bojangles explained. If not, then call White, they answer "Viking, Pfaff", and they can research the number and tell you when it was manufactured and possibly the location. Their number is 1-800-446-2333.

I was sure my Dressmaker was a clone because it looks just like a Singer 15. It has a side mounted tension knob, a knob on top to release the pressure foot pressure, and a dial marked "normal, silk, embroidery" which drops the feed dogs. I thought "Yay! FMQ!!" But I couldn't find a JA serial number on it. It's serial number is all numerals. So I called White and sure enough it was made by White in 1957 probably in Cleveland, Ohio. I like finding out a machine's heritage when I can so I think it's fun to have a date and maker.

Good luck on finding out about yours.
Jan

Thanks, Jan...here's a pic of mine:

S2402 and then LTS 006296
[ATTACH=CONFIG]206301[/ATTACH]

chris_quilts 06-03-2011 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kathie S.

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Unique sewing cabinet got today. It has Duncan Phyfe looking feet.

I love your new cabinet. If it needs a new home, here I am. Kathie

Kathie; Thanks for your kind offer but, for now, I am passing. I want to see how much she'll hold and if it's useful. I suspect she was intended more for hand sewing, possibly tatting or even crocheting doilies, than for sewing machine use. However, I intend to use her for thread storage and maybe some not sew good scissors for DH and DD's to find sew they leave the good ones alone! :D:D

jpete523 06-03-2011 06:44 PM

Oh Randa, she's pretty. Vaguely reminds me of my first machine, a Singer touch and Sew. There's a manual for a Dressmaker 2400 on Singer's website. Don't ask me, I don't know why it's there. But the picture on the cover looks a lot like yours. And it's FREE! Just type in w2400 and it will bring up w2400 SA. If you need help finding the manuals let me know. I'd be happy to help.

Jan

Kathie S. 06-03-2011 06:50 PM

Kathie; Thanks for your kind offer but, for now, I am passing.

Chris that is a wise choice. That is a beautiful piece tho. I have never seen anything like it before. Kathie

chris_quilts 06-03-2011 06:52 PM

Kathie; Thanks for your kind offer but, for now, I am passing.
Chris that is a wise choice. That is a beautiful piece tho. I have never seen anything like it before. Kathie

Kathie; Neither had I and that's why she's mine. I do haunt antique places and wanna be antique stores and never even come close to one like it.

BoJangles 06-03-2011 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by BoJangles
Here is Kathie's newest machine.

A beautiful White!

Thank you, Nancy. I owe you another candy bar. What is your favorite? Kathie

Almond Joy! Have fun on your cruise! See you in a week!

Nancy